New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · D3 LCD Misting up

glenn1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D3 LCD Misting up

Have got the rear screen misting up real bad when used in damp/wet weather,in the centre it goes white about 1/2inch square,even when it dries out normally you can still see the square only now it's darker than the rest of the screen.Does anyone know whether Nikon know about this and fix it,or as in the UK they deny all knowledge about it
I also still use ny D2Hs in the worst of weather with no such problems,i'm an NPS member and still get no joy.any feedback most welcome.
Graham

Dec 13, 2011 at 05:40 AM
bikinchris
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D3 LCD Misting up

Nikon likes to deny this, but it is a common problem. The seals around the rear glass are crap on some cameras. Also, the sealer has been known to gas out and smear on the inside of the glass.

Nikon is also very inconsistent in what they do about it. Sometimes, people get it repaired for free out of warranty and I was denied in warranty.My camera was denied warranty repair less than one year from production. I would love to kick someone at Nikon LA, California repair center.

Do a google search and you will find hundreds of threads on camera forums everywhere recounting this problem.

Dec 13, 2011 at 09:57 AM
glenn1
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D3 LCD Misting up

Thanks,Chris

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM
photowrm
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D3 LCD Misting up

I had the fog problem with mine after an outing in the rain. Tried to dry it out and bake in the sun, (nothing I did seemed to help). Lived with it until I needed a tune up about six months later. Nikon ElSegundo took care of it! No charge.

I have seen a post about someone here who changed the glass themselves after buying the glass from Nikon.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:21 PM
glenn1
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D3 LCD Misting up

photowrm. i also read about the guy doing it himself.did'nt look to difficult as long as you can get the parts,maybe the only option. Thanks Graham

Dec 14, 2011 at 06:04 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D3 LCD Misting up

I did mine myself because I didn't want to lose access to the cameras for a week or ten days, also because it pleased me to spend about $60 for two bodies instead of $150 or more from Nikon. I intended to merely clean the glass, but my work area was too dusty to bother with that, so I installed a new glass +glue strip on each D3 body. The difficult thing about the operation was knowing how much to heat up the glass; more heat = easier to remove, but I lived in fear of roasting the switches and plastic on the camera back. I got the parts from here: http://www.procamerarepair.com/NIKON-D3-LCD-WINDOW-DISPLAY-AND-ADHESIVE-TAPE_p_207.html

Dec 15, 2011 at 03:24 PM
glenn1
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D3 LCD Misting up

Thanks Keith, already checked them out,if as a last resort i have to do it myself,i recently
spoke to Nikon UK and they now say they do know of the problem and that the D3s
does'nt have this fault.so let's see how it develops
Graham

Dec 16, 2011 at 04:06 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.