Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · Bait and switch? You decide

Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Bait and switch? You decide

I still haven't received notification from Amazon of shipment (usually they are very fast!), so I sent the following message to Wall St.:

Hi Wall St!
When can I expect my 1D Mark IV camera to ship?
I'd like to get it before Christmas holidays.
Can you supply me with the tracking #?
Thanks so much,
William

Dec 14, 2011 at 06:27 PM
jleom
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Bait and switch? You decide

You better hurry to get in on this deal:
They also selling a 1D mark 1V with a special "white" 50mm 1.2fL USM.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-1D-MARK-IV-Digital-Camera/dp/B0041157B6/ref=sr_1_10?m=A2P7U8ZHUJIO9T&s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323888244&sr=1-10

Dec 14, 2011 at 06:50 PM
Keith Vincent

p.2 #3 · Bait and switch? You decide

SHOT DOWN IN FLAMES......
There goes my Christmas present to myself (drats ! )

Hello from Wall Street Photo

We are sorry to report that we will not be able to obtain the
following item(s) from your order:

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV 16.1 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (3822B002)

Though we had expected to be able to send this item to you, we've
since found that it is not available from any of our sources at this
time. We realize this is disappointing news to hear, and we apologize
for the inconvenience we have caused you.

We have canceled this item from your order.

Dec 14, 2011 at 07:14 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Bait and switch? You decide

Wow - amazing that Amazon doesn't do a better job of weeding these things out. Seriously, how can they miss something this flagrant? Ah well. Happy holidays, and sorry to those of you who didn't get your camera this time around!

Dec 14, 2011 at 07:38 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · Bait and switch? You decide

I see this sort of thing on eBay and report it each time there is a fraudulent offering I am aware of. To ebay's credit, each time the fraudulent listing is reported, they've removed it -- usually it involves a highjacked account that has been dormant.

To follow up: I received the following from the seller, Wall St. on Wed 12/14, following my inquiry --

Hello from Wall Street Photo

We are sorry to report that we will not be able to obtain the
following item(s) from your order:

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV 16.1 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (3822B002) [ASIN: B001IT13IK]
Though we had expected to be able to send this item to you, we've
since found that it is not available from any of our sources at this
time. We realize this is disappointing news to hear, and we apologize
for the inconvenience we have caused you.

We have canceled this item from your order.

Your credit card will NOT BE CHARGED for this item because you only
pay for items when we ship them to you.

Your order is now closed.

We apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused. Let us assure
you this is not indicative of the high quality of service and products we
strive to provide our customers.

As a token of goodwill, Wall Street Photo is issuing a 5% discount or your next
for your next purchase at Wall Street Photo.

Please email us when you place a new order so we can apply the discount.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
Wall Street Photo

My response (after contacting Amazon customer service to report the matter and open an investigation on why I am unable to leave negative feedback at this time [may involve a 3-day delay after transaction]). Amazon noted that the credit card shows the funds are actually still in play from the Wall Street end, having been placed on hold but not yet fully charged, as of this morning.

Dear Wall Street,
I do not agree to cancelling my order, and I find your doing so to be an act of fraud and deceptive promotion and order taking beyond bait and switch practices.
This is unacceptable behavior and reflective of the independent reviews and feedback I have found regarding your past sales practices.
Your Amazon add clearly showed the Canon 1D Mark IV "IN STOCK" at the time of my order.
I purchased the item in good faith and I insist that you fulfill your obligation to ship the item to me at the purchase price or face follow-up through Amazon.
I am counting on this item as a Christmas gift, so I suggest you ship as rapidly as possible.
Thank you and please reopen the order and ship as promised.
William Harris

Dec 16, 2011 at 03:28 PM
svassh
• • •
p.2 #6 · Bait and switch? You decide

Gunzorro wrote:
B001IT13IK]
I am counting on this item as a Christmas gift, so I suggest you ship as rapidly as possible.
Thank you and please reopen the order and ship as promised.
William Harris

I would start shopping for another gift

Dec 16, 2011 at 05:12 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Bait and switch? You decide

I think the "reasonable person" principle comes into play here, legally.

Since the price shown in the ad is ridiculously low, and since the photo attached to the ad is not of the item listed, a reasonable person should assume that the ad is a mistake.

Insisting that Wall Street Photo fulfill its "obligation" is not going to go anywhere.

Dec 16, 2011 at 05:28 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Bait and switch? You decide

tag

Dec 16, 2011 at 05:33 PM
Keith Vincent

p.2 #9 · Bait and switch? You decide

William, great idea. I should have done the same. Let me know if you get any traction on this.
Keith

Dec 16, 2011 at 05:43 PM
Sgt93
• • •
p.2 #10 · Bait and switch? You decide

It will be interesting to see the final outcome.

Dec 16, 2011 at 05:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Bait and switch? You decide

BrianO wrote:
I think the "reasonable person" principle comes into play here, legally.

Since the price shown in the ad is ridiculously low, and since the photo attached to the ad is not of the item listed, a reasonable person should assume that the ad is a mistake.

Insisting that Wall Street Photo fulfill its "obligation" is not going to go anywhere.

Clearly it's a scam! They do the same thing, over.. and over... and over.... I think he's just messing with Wall St. Photo but it's interesting to note that they don't admit there's a price/description mismatch they just go with "out of stock"

There's nothing reasonable about Wall St. Photo.

Dec 16, 2011 at 07:35 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · Bait and switch? You decide

TrojanHorse wrote:
Clearly it's a scam!

What's the scam, then? Bait and switch? Nonsense! In order for bait to lure someone, it must be attractive. There's nothing attractive about a $159 1D Mark IV. Reasonable man? Let me be more blunt; only a blithering idiot would think that was a legitimate offer and plunk down money on it.

Dec 16, 2011 at 08:17 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.2 #13 · Bait and switch? You decide

Yes, you're right - they're a totally above board seller. I don't believe (as you don't) that anybody would expect to get a 1d4 out of them for under $200, especially with the picture of a cheap Nikon lens there.

SO that's just an honest mistake and all these positive reviews are indicative of their good intentions.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Wall_Street_Photo

Dec 16, 2011 at 09:51 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.2 #14 · Bait and switch? You decide

At that price they'd loose $4,000 on every sale. But they could make it up in volume.

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:14 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · Bait and switch? You decide

Brian -- Yes, please read the reviews from the independent site that Trojan posted. Wall St. has been scamming people for years. What's to lose? Tell me, have you ever heard of companies that sell CC to third parties? My CC is being tagged for the $159 as held in reserve against the purchase.

Richard -- you'll also see Wall St. ads that tout a 1D Mk III boldly for $7999. How many of those would you need to sell to make a profit? It appears to the a 1Ds Mk III at that price.

I'm not trying to be reasonable. I'm trying to fight against scammers and identity thieves as I encounter them. The screw with people and foul the whole of internet commerce.

I've dealt with some wonderful, reputable companies, like B&H, Adorama, Tallyns, KEH, and more -- they are a pleasure to do business with. I've also bought from a lot terrific individuals on eBay. But I can't stand dishonest efforts that take advantage of the buying impulse on the internet. I guess it's just a personal foible of mine.

svass -- Ha-ha! Yes, maybe I should look for another gift. Perhaps a flail?

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:45 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · Bait and switch? You decide

TrojanHorse wrote:
Yes, you're right - they're a totally above board seller.

I never said that. Don't put (idiotic) words in my mouth.

Dec 17, 2011 at 05:17 AM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.2 #17 · Bait and switch? You decide

BrianO wrote:

I'm not sure why you're being so cantankerous about defending a sleazeball organization like Wall Street Photo but your assertion was that the price discrepancy was a simple mistake. I attribute simple mistakes to above board organizations. Since they do it repeatedly and offer dramatically over priced older products, my presumption is they're scamming people. Coupled with the on line reviews at multiple sites, I think my guess is correct, and yet you keep coming back to argue the point.

Whatever.

Dec 17, 2011 at 06:35 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · Bait and switch? You decide

TrojanHorse wrote:
Yes, you're right - they're a totally above board seller.

BrianO wrote:

TrojanHorse wrote:
I'm not sure why you're being so cantankerous about defending a sleazeball organization like Wall Street Photo...

I'm not defending Wall Street Photo. YOU asked if this was a case of bait and switch; and I'm pointing out how IN THIS CASE it doesn't seem likely to be.

I am a proponent of logical thinking, and when I see people posting illogic, I'll point it out.

TrojanHorse wrote:
...your assertion was that the price discrepancy was a simple mistake. I attribute simple mistakes to above board organizations. Since they do it repeatedly and offer dramatically over priced older products, my presumption is they're scamming people. Coupled with the on line reviews at multiple sites, I think my guess is correct...

This is a prime example of an error in logic. Only honest people make mistakes? That's stupid.

Gunzorro wrote:
Brian -- Yes, please read the reviews from the independent site that Trojan posted. Wall St. has been scamming people for years. What's to lose? Tell me, have you ever heard of companies that sell CC to third parties? My CC is being tagged for the $159 as held in reserve against the purchase.

If they had been deliberately fishing for CC numbers I think they would have chosen to place an ad that would have at least looked somewhat legit. In this case, only a fool -- sorry, but it's true -- would have made a purchase.

Again, not defending WSP; their record is not exemplary. But IN THIS CASE it is not an example of "bait and switch," which is what this thread is about.

Edited on Dec 17, 2011 at 06:10 PM · View previous versions

Dec 17, 2011 at 06:03 PM
magicpixels

p.2 #19 · Bait and switch? You decide

Really confused how any company could maintain a legit merchant account using their types of business practices. I know when I had my merchant account setup through my financial institution they make you aware that things like this aren't tolerated and they will yank your account if anything ever happens.

Just so wierd.

Dec 17, 2011 at 06:07 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · Bait and switch? You decide

magic -- offhand, I'd say Amazon is happy to not look too closely into their independent associates.

Dec 17, 2011 at 09:08 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password