Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · can anybody diagnose this?

deebo7
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · can anybody diagnose this?

got this effect with my mkIII yesterday. brought it into lightroom and here we are. any ideas on what it could be? looks sensor specific

Dec 12, 2011 at 09:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · can anybody diagnose this?

Looks like a problem with the memory card.

Dec 12, 2011 at 09:42 PM
deebo7
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · can anybody diagnose this?

it waaas a new Sandisk 16gb card i got, took about 2k photos that day and this was the only one that was like this

Dec 12, 2011 at 09:47 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · can anybody diagnose this?

Even new ones can be duds. Take it back and ask for a new one.

Dec 12, 2011 at 09:49 PM
deebo7
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · can anybody diagnose this?

well i cant say its a dud, just happened once. anyone have experience with this issue getting worse?

Dec 12, 2011 at 09:53 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · can anybody diagnose this?

deebo7 wrote:
well i cant say its a dud, just happened once. anyone have experience with this issue getting worse?

It might have a bogus memory address. It might not get worse in terms of how many images are toasted, but the importance of the toasted image might be higher, next time. You can play the probabilites, or you can eliminate the problem by replacing the card. Any chance it's a 'grey market' card (i.e counterfeit)?

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:00 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · can anybody diagnose this?

Did you try to download the same file again? Sometimes it can get corrupted when you take the picture and sometimes the corruption can happen as you transfer it to your computer. Both of those scenarios should be very rare though.

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · can anybody diagnose this?

I'm not going to say cards can't fail, but in my experience each time I've run into something like this is was the card reader at fault.

does the image look messed up when viewed on the camera's screen?

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:04 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · can anybody diagnose this?

I had a similar corrupt image on Sandisk Extreme II 8GB card 2 years ago. Only one among hundreds of images in the session. I reformatted the card and it never happened again even after many thousands of images.

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:07 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · can anybody diagnose this?

Your card is corrupted and it will continue to intermittently ruin files. If you are a hobbiest and can live with bad files, keep it. If you are more serious and intend to have every shot available to you, return it right away. It will continue to give you corrupted image files.

I had this happen on a card recently, and it was about 1% failure rate -- much too high! I tried the card in different bodies and different card readers, hoping to figure it out. I did -- it was the card.

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · can anybody diagnose this?

gpop wrote:
I'm not going to say cards can't fail, but in my experience each time I've run into something like this is was the card reader at fault.

does the image look messed up when viewed on the camera's screen?

+1

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:39 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · can anybody diagnose this?

Probably a bit of random interference that will never be seen again. Format the card, and shoot the card full. If it happens again, return the card. If it happens again with the new card, it is probably the reader.

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:47 PM
kellybolin

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · can anybody diagnose this?

My first thought before reading any further comments was "memory card". I've experienced this myself on the odd occasion. While I don't like it when it happens it's no worse than the film days when I didn't advance the film far enough to get to clean unexposed portion of the film. :-(

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:50 PM
Netgarden
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · can anybody diagnose this?

Do you have a new pc? Mine were corrupted by the pc card slot. I bought a new san disk reader and formatted in camera, all problems went away. Good luck. Mine started with two new 16 g cards. It turned out it wasnt them but the pc.

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:58 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · can anybody diagnose this?

Do you shoot raw or jpg?

The novice would answer that is is some kind of file corruption, but IMO probably not.

The thing is, most of the time these files are protected with their own checksums or CRCs. So if bits get corrupted during or after the file is written, it will, in very high likelihood, cause the CRC to fail. And that will be recognized by a viewer and it will either reject that file or warn you (if the viewer is any good).

For instance, photoshop will recognize this. You'll get a "CRC error" dialog. If you don't get this when loading the file, it's more likely it was some kind of wierd camera problem that happened like the communication between the camera's sensor and the microcontroller, or the image was somehow corrupted after that. But, almost certainly, before it was written to JPG / CRW / CR2. Because once it's packed into that format, the CRC is computed, so every point in time thereafter, a (non-intentional) corruption would be recognizeable by a failed CRC.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:07 AM
deebo7
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · can anybody diagnose this?

well in camera the image looks fine. PC is pretty new, so i doubt its that.
i have a feeling after a few reformats the card wont give me any issues, but if it does ill update this thread.

thanks for all the help guys

Dec 14, 2011 at 05:02 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · can anybody diagnose this?

Transferred via camera's USB or card reader? try the other.
Do you just delete files with no formatting? Do you format in camera regularly?
continue using the card with a backup going to the SD card, if no issues after a few sessions, it may have been a fluke.

Dec 14, 2011 at 06:00 AM
ttlphoto

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · can anybody diagnose this?

the damaged file may occur if you are shooting at a high frame rate and chimp before the card has finished writing.

Dec 14, 2011 at 06:49 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · can anybody diagnose this?

deebo7 wrote:
well in camera the image looks fine.

Try reimporting the file, then. It may have been a transient glitch during the first transfer.

Dec 14, 2011 at 08:18 AM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · can anybody diagnose this?

I have had this problem when the camera suffered a problem when writing to the card, though I was able to save the image eventually. See if it helps re-importing it.

Dec 14, 2011 at 08:27 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password