New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · Traveling to Taiwan and China

erikburd
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Traveling to Taiwan and China

The 17-40L isn't heavy at all. I don't think that you will be using the 135L that much, perhaps the 24-105L would be a better overall choice.

Dec 13, 2011 at 03:55 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Traveling to Taiwan and China

mark petri wrote:
The "need" for a WA lens in landscape is a faulty notion. It really depends on the scene, etc. Doesn't hurt to have the 17-40 in tow though. What is your shooting style is the question to ask with regard to lens selection.

I agree wholeheartedly with that. Let your own shooting style control your lens selection and that is more the deciding factor than the location. As you can imagine, people's shooting style here varies quite a bit and they typically recommend what suits their style, not necessarily yours and what they have in their lineup. Sorry for being blunt and for sounding like I am not offering any help....

Have a great trip!

Dec 13, 2011 at 04:03 PM
seraphkz
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Traveling to Taiwan and China

AGeoJO wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly with that. Let your own shooting style control your lens selection and that is more the deciding factor than the location. As you can imagine, people's shooting style here varies quite a bit and they typically recommend what suits their style, not necessarily yours and what they have in their lineup. Sorry for being blunt and for sounding like I am not offering any help....

Have a great trip!

Thank you! I completely understand. I've been a prime guy, have been doing weddings/portraits.
Never really tried to take landscape pictures, but it'd be a nice change on my vacations. So to be honest, I don't really have a "style" in landscape photography.

I love candid photos, that's why I can't live without my 135L :P

Dec 13, 2011 at 04:05 PM
anorphirith
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Traveling to Taiwan and China

I'm actually going to singapore taipei hongkong seoul and tokyo next year, I'm bringing my 5D2, 28-75, 50mm f1.4 135mm and thinking about getting a samyang 14mm if I can afford it, I'll be absolutely set for anything

Dec 13, 2011 at 04:07 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Traveling to Taiwan and China

Well, I would recommend a wide angle to short tele zoom in your situation then. I believe that that kind of zoom lens will suit you better than a 17-40mm that favors more the wide angle focal length range. A 24-105mmL f/4.0 IS or similar will fall into that category and another advantage of that lens, well, it has IS and really it is more than a decent performer and not too heavy.

Dec 13, 2011 at 04:12 PM
photosenior
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Traveling to Taiwan and China

Use what you have, and utilize your feet to make up the difference.
Enjoy the travels!

Dec 13, 2011 at 04:22 PM
seraphkz
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Traveling to Taiwan and China

Honestly, now I'm also thinking about getting the Samyang 14.

What do you guys think of the 17-40L vs Samyang 14?

The only concern I have regarding the Samyang is the inability to filter.. Will that be a big problem? (I'm not very familiar with landscape photography, but do have a couple filters from friends)

Dec 13, 2011 at 04:23 PM
Xavier Rival
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Traveling to Taiwan and China

Just a few quick comments:
- 14mm seems very, very wide to me (it actually took me some time to fully exploit this focal length when I got my 5D); so unless you are used to it, I would be concerned you may find this focal length not that useful for you and the gap between it and your 35 quite huge;
- my experience is that I like to have a mix of zooms and primes when travelling, so I would select the wide angle zoom; I often travel with the 17-40L and another longer lens (135L or 70-200, and find it ideal as a "main lens" mounted on the camera 70% of the time);
- you mention you like candid photography; I think leaving the 135 behind is no option in that case, esp as none of the options you mentioned would give you a focal length beyond 40mm.

Dec 13, 2011 at 05:12 PM
mark petri
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Traveling to Taiwan and China

Good advice offered up by all.

The 17-40 is relatively light. I haven't used that Samyang lens, but I would be willing to bet my shooting hand, I would prefer the 17-40 in a heartbeat.

The rest is what you want to carry, how, and what you want to shoot.

17-40, 24-105, and 135 would cover just about everything you discussed and then some.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:17 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Traveling to Taiwan and China

Can't speak for China, but have been to Taiwan a few times. I've posted a bunch of Taiwan images on my blog: http://www.ronscheffler.com/blog/?cat=10 and http://www.ronscheffler.com/blog/?cat=10&paged=2

For my style, I worked with APS-H crop cameras exclusively combined with the 16-35, 50L, 85L and 70-200. For my first trip I took a whole lot more, including the 15FE, TS-E lenses and 135L. I used the zooms the most, but the primes were valuable for low light work or when I wanted the shallower depth of field look. I couldn't imagine not going without the 70-200 (I currently prefer the f/4L IS version due to its great combo of excellent IQ and relatively compact size). I also couldn't imagine being without something in the 20-22mm equivalent focal length range, and if I had to, would take only the two zooms. I did use the TS-Es a bit. The 24 in urban environments, as well as the 45. But the 45 was more useful across a broader range of applications, especially for controlling depth of field along specific planes. But of course, one could get by without either of these. My least used lenses were the 15FE and 135. The 135 because the 70-200 f/4L IS is as good at 135mm, unless one needs f/2. But I had the 85L along, which when working in low light collects 1.3 stops more light, which is huge. And the 135L is difficult to hand hold and get sharp results at marginal shutter speeds whereas the 85 is more forgiving and the 70-200 has IS. But if 135 is the only tele lens you have, then bring it and you'll be fine. I'm not sure it's worth getting a 70-200, but might be worth considering a 1.4x TC, if even one of the off brand ones for those rare times you will need it.

Ron

Dec 14, 2011 at 02:41 AM
Trinimon
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Traveling to Taiwan and China

When I toured China/Hong Kong for 3wks back in 2010, I took a 24mm TS MKII, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200 f2.8L and my 5D MKII with battery grip. The two most used lenses were the 24-70 and 70-200.

I found some locals didn't like getting their pics taken even when asked for permission or if you ask a vendor to take a pic of their stall etc they sometimes want you to buy something first. I'll usually buy a bottle of water. Some places had signs posted "No photos" in their stores/stalls. Just respect people's requests if they don't want their shop or themselves to be photographed. I always like to ask permission when possible and always take the time to show them their picture to see their faces light up. Good for a few laughs. Some ask you to email them a pic. You might make more friends or contacts.

For people pics and detail stuff, I loved using the 70-200mm. I found the 24-70 a little short for a walk-around lens. The 24-105 might have been nicer option. All that gear to walk around with sure doesn't make for a light backpack!

Have fun!

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:07 AM
B2FiNiTY

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Traveling to Taiwan and China

Here's a question for those that have been: how secure did you feel with all that gear either with you or at your hotel room (or wherever you were staying)?

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:30 AM
timpdx
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Traveling to Taiwan and China

In those countries, never felt insecure walking around with all that gear, far safer than any American city. As for hotels, I tend to use the safe if the gear fits, don't like to leave gear around, but I have done so in E. Asia with no problems ever.

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:33 AM
Trinimon
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Traveling to Taiwan and China

At first I felt a bit uneasy at the start just like anyone else would normally, esp for me with over $10K worth of gear. For the first couple days, I carried all my camera gear including my tripod and spent over 8hrs one day walking around Beijing, Forbidden Palace etc. Lugging that backpack killed my shoulders and by the third day, I couldn't do that anymore and decided to leave some gear back at the hotel. The lenses I wasn't going to use, I left in the safety box in the room and realized that there wasn't much time to setup a tripod to shoot so I stopped carrying the tripod too.

After a couple days, I felt pretty confident that my gear was safe. And as Timpdx says, a lot safer than some other cities inc my own. That being said, that doesn't mean you should drop your guard.

Are you going with a tour group or just by yourself?

Dec 14, 2011 at 01:29 PM

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Traveling to Taiwan and China

Oddly enough, I felt quite safe even in Kashgar which was, at the time of my visit, still reeling from the terrorist attacks a week before. I was carrying pretty much everything on me all the time - 2 bodies and 2 lenses. No troubles whatsoever

Dec 14, 2011 at 02:55 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.