Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Portable Power Build complete Grounding Question

Ray Still
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Portable Power Build complete Grounding Question

Finally completed my Portable Power build see link below for complete parts lists which includes Samlex 1000 watt inverter and Lifeline 100AH battery.

My question I grounded the inverter by adding a metal strap to the Stanley case. Do I need to run a ground wire from the negative terminal of the battery to the metal strap as well? That is my concern if the battery needs to be grounded. All advise help much appreciated.

Thanks for the Help

Ray Still
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1043255/0#9911296

Dec 10, 2011 at 06:16 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Portable Power Build complete Grounding Question

That's some set-up, you can run a small store with that.

You can't ground an insulator (plastic tool box case). You can only ground a conductor. You need to ground the inverter to earth ground if it doesn't have a GFI circuit in it. So a ground wire off the inverter to a metal steak to stick in the ground if you are on soil at the time you are using it. At least a minimum #10 or 8 stranded copper wire.

You can check out my build in 2010. Since then I have down sized it with a nicer case and smaller 11 amp battery. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/890147/0?keyword=ac,rover#8373662

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:11 AM
Ray Still
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Portable Power Build complete Grounding Question

Gregg
Thank you for your help. The inverter does have a built in GFI. Does that mean it does not need grounded the inverter comes with a wing nut grounding hookup on the same side of the inverter as the positive and negative leads. Not knowing enough about the grounding I attached a metal strap to the tool box and then attached the inverter ground wire to the metal strap. I noticed on your build you have smaller gauge wires leading from the battery lead terminals is that for the charger or? Also do I need to run a ground wire from the negative battery terminal?
One last question does a grounding rod have to be hammered in the ground a certain depth?
Thanks again for your help

Ray Still

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:24 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Portable Power Build complete Grounding Question

Gregg Heckler wrote:
...You need to ground the inverter to earth ground if it doesn't have a GFI circuit in it. So a ground wire off the inverter to a metal steak to stick in the ground if you are on soil at the time you are using it.

Why would you need to run an earth ground on a device that isn't running off A/C-supply power? Wouldn't you only need to ground a self-contained, battery-powered device within its own space?

Dec 11, 2011 at 03:13 AM
ProImages

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Portable Power Build complete Grounding Question

Do not connect the AC ground to the DC negative terminal. Damage to the inverter could result.

If the inverter has GFCI receptacles on it and the neutral is bonded to the frame then the generator is a separately derived system and would not bond to the house or building grounding electrode at all.

Here's a quote from the National Electric Code:
250.34 Portable and Vehicle-Mounted Generators.
(A) Portable Generators. The frame of a portable generator shall not be required to be connected to a grounding electrode as defined in 250.52 for a system supplied by the generator under the following conditions:
(1) The generator supplies only equipment mounted on the generator, cord-and-plug-connected equipment through receptacles mounted on the generator, or both, and
(2) The normally non–current-carrying metal parts of equipment and the equipment grounding conductor terminals of the receptacles are connected to the generator frame.

Dec 11, 2011 at 08:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DavidSchneider

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Portable Power Build complete Grounding Question

I think it's great if you can build something, but it seems a simple Paul Buff mini Vagabond for $250 is lighter, won't damage strobes, doesn't take time to build, has great resale value, etc. is a good alternative for the rest of us.

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:01 AM
Ray Still
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Portable Power Build complete Grounding Question

DavidSchneider wrote:
I think it's great if you can build something, but it seems a simple Paul Buff mini Vagabond for $250 is lighter, won't damage strobes, doesn't take time to build, has great resale value, etc. is a good alternative for the rest of us.

But can a Vagabond mini run 7 a strobes and even modeling lamps I had over 450 pops on this and didn't, even make a dent in discharge yep I'm a happy camper with this build

Ray Still

Dec 18, 2011 at 02:25 AM
DavidSchneider

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Portable Power Build complete Grounding Question

No. I'd think if you need more than four strobes (and two min Vag) then you need a different solution.

Dec 18, 2011 at 08:07 PM
Csae
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Portable Power Build complete Grounding Question

DavidSchneider wrote:
No. I'd think if you need more than four strobes (and two min Vag) then you need a different solution.

Yes, thats exactly what he just said.

His build is not comparable to a Vagabond mini at all, its a ton more power then that, and uses the same type of inverter the mini uses, just a higher rating with a higher, heavier, battery.

Great build, cool to see you put it all in a easy to carry case.

Dec 18, 2011 at 08:31 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password