Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Quick Review PixelKing Wireless E-TTL Flash Trigger for C...

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Quick Review PixelKing Wireless E-TTL Flash Trigger for Canon

This is the new "King" model which unlike the previous "E-TTL" version, is actually supposed to perform wireless E-TTL.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. About 25% of the time it'll send/receive the E-TTL information properly and then the rest of the time it either puts out 2-3 stops too much or 2-3 stops too little light.

I'm going to spend a little more time with it. It seems they are a little finicky according to the reviews. Anyone else try one or have a recommendation for something more reliable?

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:00 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Quick Review PixelKing Wireless E-TTL Flash Trigger for Canon

tried resetting it and re-configuring the channel and group settings but no change.

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:14 AM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Quick Review PixelKing Wireless E-TTL Flash Trigger for Canon

same results here. have you tried firmware update yet?

Dec 10, 2011 at 01:14 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Quick Review PixelKing Wireless E-TTL Flash Trigger for Canon

no, I did not. is there a link to their site which discusses firmware updates? Do you still have yours or did you return it?

Dec 10, 2011 at 01:21 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Quick Review PixelKing Wireless E-TTL Flash Trigger for Canon

just tried to upgrade the firmware. Unfortunately, the usb plug and play in windows 7 does not recognize either device and the firmware upgrade utility could not see the device.

NEXXXXXXXXXXXXT...

Dec 10, 2011 at 01:32 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Quick Review PixelKing Wireless E-TTL Flash Trigger for Canon

Eventually everyone will learn that there is a very high cost of buying cheap chinese crap that doesn't work. Hopefully that happens on a large scale before it is too late for our grandchildren.

Dec 10, 2011 at 04:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Quick Review PixelKing Wireless E-TTL Flash Trigger for Canon

timbop wrote:
Eventually everyone will learn that there is a very high cost of buying cheap chinese crap that doesn't work. Hopefully that happens on a large scale before it is too late for our grandchildren.

Come on. Let's not go the xenophobic route here. Where do you think your camera, tv and stereo is made?

I happen to work with chinese engineers and they don't take a back seat to anyone. I highly suspect the pocketwizards are made in asia.

In any event, the more likely scenario is that the engineers for pixelking will improve the firmware and get it to work at some point. Remember, they are reverse engineering a specification that is not published. Canon could solve the problem by creating their own system but I suspect there's not enough money in it so they keep the protocol private.

Dec 10, 2011 at 04:40 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Quick Review PixelKing Wireless E-TTL Flash Trigger for Canon

it's not xenophibia or racism - it's common sense. unemployment is ready to hit 10%, and sending more engineering jobs overseas isn't going to help. I used to sell software to small manufacturers, and both my company and most of my customers are now gone. My last job was in the telecommunications industry, and huawei has blatantly stolen technology and design from my former company and many others. In the span of 5 years they have taken over the switch market.

Pocketwizard flex's are made in the usa, and are certainly designed and developed here - as are alienbees. For the same reason that walmart is bad for local businesses, chinese manufacturing is overtly predatory and bad for the local economy

Dec 10, 2011 at 05:08 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Quick Review PixelKing Wireless E-TTL Flash Trigger for Canon

radio poppers

Dec 10, 2011 at 05:30 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Quick Review PixelKing Wireless E-TTL Flash Trigger for Canon

timbop wrote:
it's not xenophibia or racism - it's common sense. unemployment is ready to hit 10%, and sending more engineering jobs overseas isn't going to help. I used to sell software to small manufacturers, and both my company and most of my customers are now gone. My last job was in the telecommunications industry, and huawei has blatantly stolen technology and design from my former company and many others. In the span of 5 years they have taken over the switch market.

Pocketwizard flex's are made in the usa, and are certainly designed and developed here - as are alienbees. For the
...Show more

Sorry, that's a naive way to view things. We have to learn to compete. At any rate, it's funny where folks draw the line. Japan got where they are by using the same business model and now canon has much of their manufacturing done in taiwan, china, etc. Somehow you're ok with that but not a radio trigger made in china? Anyway, that is *NOT* what I'm asking about so let's take political comments to facebook.

Now, can we get back on topic here?

Dec 10, 2011 at 01:39 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Quick Review PixelKing Wireless E-TTL Flash Trigger for Canon

OK. the pixel kings don't work :-)

(I also said the same thing about the japanese car industry in the 80's, which has come to fruition. I only buy japanese cameras because you CAN'T buy an american one. off to facebook...)

Dec 10, 2011 at 03:45 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password