Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Canon DSLR Manual Mode not working, how to fix?

CameraTester
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon DSLR Manual Mode not working, how to fix?

Hi, before I say the problem, I need to say that I don't own the camera, it's my friends DSLR, and I don't have access to it, and they don't have internet, so I'm going to do the best I can to repeat the info he gave me.

I'm pretty positive that the camera is a Canon 40D. Here is the problem. The camera works fine in auto modes, but when switched to manual mode, when the camera takes the picture, the shutter stays open for a while (he said about a minute, but when I asked if it was 30 seconds, he said it could have been) and the pictures are white (he also said black, but I don't know if that's possible, maybe he was mistaken? it's not his camera, it's his wife's, and she is the one using it and telling him)

He said that she may have accidentally messed up the settings. What setting could cause this, and what can we do to get it working right?

Thanks for any help!

Dec 09, 2011 at 05:29 PM
CameraTester
• •
p.1 #2 · Canon DSLR Manual Mode not working, how to fix?

He also said that she has tried adjusting shutter speed, but it still does it.

Dec 09, 2011 at 05:31 PM
bipock
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Canon DSLR Manual Mode not working, how to fix?

Not to be funny, but she does now how to expose in M mode, doesn't she? I do believe both of those instances would be possible with wrong inputs, regardless of the camera body. The white pics would be doing a 30sec exposure at ISO whatever at 2.8, when correct esposure would be 1/1000 at f8, ISO 200 (for example). Black would be too short of a SS for the given ISO and aperture.

As for the 30 second thing, sound like she has MLU activated.

Dec 09, 2011 at 05:51 PM
CameraTester
• •
p.1 #4 · Canon DSLR Manual Mode not working, how to fix?

So if you have mirror lock up enabled, it will make it so every time you press the shutter button, it stays open for a long time?

So if you deactivate it, it will work normally?

And how do you deactivate MLU?

Thanks for your help

Dec 09, 2011 at 06:01 PM
bipock
• • •
p.1 #5 · Canon DSLR Manual Mode not working, how to fix?

Should be a CF to disable it, but, yes, when you activate it and push set it will lock up. It is active until you turn it off. Actually, I think if it is set and puch the shutter button it locks up too.

Dec 09, 2011 at 06:18 PM
CameraTester
• •
p.1 #6 · Canon DSLR Manual Mode not working, how to fix?

ok. the thing that confuses me is it only doing it in manual mode. does that sound right? and where exactly do you go to disable MLU?

Dec 09, 2011 at 06:26 PM
dedsen
• •
p.1 #7 · Canon DSLR Manual Mode not working, how to fix?

Wow, this should be interesting. Diagnosing a possible problem using 2nd and 3rd party info from confused people. And not very good info at that. Not sure what camera or what settings were used. I just had to subscribe to this one.

Dec 09, 2011 at 06:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dedsen
• •
p.1 #8 · Canon DSLR Manual Mode not working, how to fix?

CameraTester wrote:
ok. the thing that confuses me is it only doing it in manual mode. does that sound right? and where exactly do you go to disable MLU?

You would go to the owners manual for the camera that you are using and figure out which custom function sets mirror lockup and disable it. Canon does not have any standards when it comes to custom functions between camera models. Since you are not sure what camera is involved we cannot guess which CF it is.
Personally I have not read anything that indicates mirror lockup is involved. When mirror lockup is enabled it takes two pushes of the shutter button to take a picture. When mirror lockup is enabled it is active in all operating modes, not just one mode.

Edited on Dec 09, 2011 at 06:35 PM · View previous versions

Dec 09, 2011 at 06:34 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Canon DSLR Manual Mode not working, how to fix?

The MLU control would affect all modes, not just manual.
Its a CF. option.You can do an online search and look up how to access this.
Basically in the Menu mode.

As far as the exposure, if I remember right, is "sticky" for each mode, M, Av, Tv, etc.
So if she set the shutter speed to B or 30 seconds in M the last time used, it would stay.
When she put's into M, what does the SS say. What does the f-stop say?

Dec 09, 2011 at 06:35 PM
CameraTester
• •
p.1 #10 · Canon DSLR Manual Mode not working, how to fix?

Ok. But from what I've been told, she's adjusted the shutter speed in manual mode and it still stays open for a long time, and it only does it in manual mode. Not in any of the other modes.

They aren't with the camera right now, so I don't know the SS or f-stop info. I'm just trying to figure out if there is a setting in the camera making this happen. Manual mode is manual mode, you're supposed to be able to control everything manually, if you have f/2.8 and set it to a fast shutter speed, it's supposed to do everything you tell it to, not setting it to a fast shutter speed and it staying open for way longer than you tell it to. Something isn't right. I'm just trying to figure out what's wrong.

Dec 09, 2011 at 06:41 PM
GCasey
• • •
p.1 #11 · Canon DSLR Manual Mode not working, how to fix?

I can't diagose it, but did a search for "Canon 40D mirror lockup problem" and had a lot of hits.

Take a look at this site, which shows those hits and choose the one that most closely resembles the problem:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=canon%2040d%20mirror%20problem&pbx=1&oq=Canon%2040D%20mirror%20&aq=1&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=sc&gs_upl=4680l12034l0l14820l17l11l0l3l3l1l728l2539l0.8.1.1.6-1l14l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=b711f975c3b091fa&biw=1920&bih=878&pf=p&pdl=300

Someone needs to have access to the internet, select the site, sit down with the camera, and follow the on-line information.

Another option is to take it to a repair shop or send it to Canon.

The Canon manual for the 30D, which I have, describes how to enable the Mirror Lock Up. It's is a Custom function. If the camera owner has the manual, she can look at that and go through those steps in reverse.

Another option is to get on line, go the camera manual for that model, find the instructions, copy them to a Word docuiment, and print them out for the camera owner. Perpaps one of the "hits" will show those steps as well.

It should be worth trying before taking it to a repair shop.

Dec 09, 2011 at 06:43 PM
dedsen
• •
p.1 #12 · Canon DSLR Manual Mode not working, how to fix?

You are absolutely right. You set the shutter speed and the aperture and the camera uses those numbers to take the picture. The part that is missing so far is what they are setting the shutter speed to and how long the camera is actually keeping it open for. There are no other adjustments that lengthen the shutter speed in manual mode. Until you come back with some REAL info and or images with the EXIF info intact, I am not sure what you expect us to tell you.

Dec 09, 2011 at 06:46 PM
CameraTester
• •
p.1 #13 · Canon DSLR Manual Mode not working, how to fix?

Ok. I'll put this topic on hold until I can get some more info. Thanks for the help everyone!

Dec 09, 2011 at 06:51 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password