Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?

wilsocn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?

Does anyone have any experience with non Canon brand batteries for the camera? A friend and I are taking a road trip to various national parks in the southwest at the end of the month and I would like to take along a couple of extra batteries but I have spent a small fortune this month already so I am looking into the generic batteries.

I am not too concerned with them holding a charge as long as the Canon battery that I have but I am just curious if there is any way a cheap battery could be bad for the camera. I read some of the reviews and some say that the voltages are different so would that affect the camera in ways other than just possibly giving an incorrect battery measure?

I am basically looking for some extra power until I can get back to a hotel and charge my original.

Thanks everyone

These are the batteries that I was looking at on Amazon. They will go into a T3i.
http://www.amazon.com/LP-E8-Equivalent-Battery-Canon-Rebel/dp/B003CVLTCW/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323442675&sr=1-2

Dec 09, 2011 at 03:08 PM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?

Not sure about generics for a rebel, but I've used the lenmar version for a 5D and haven't had any problems. A search of the forum will probably give you some good info as well.
Have a great trip,
Dave

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:30 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?

sterlingtek
www.sterlingtek.com

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:41 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?

I've not very good experiences with the generics. They are not necessarily bad for the cameras but I would not rely on them exclusively.

EBH

Dec 10, 2011 at 08:06 PM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?

I use generics with my 450D. They work very well, just as good as the Canon branded battery that came with the camera.

Dec 10, 2011 at 08:09 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?

EB-1 wrote:
I've not very good experiences with the generics. They are not necessarily bad for the cameras but I would not rely on them exclusively.

EBH

i concur

Dec 10, 2011 at 08:56 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?

I have used generic as extras without any problems in 20D -30D up to 5D. In the new model battery for the 5DII and 60D that had the charge shown as part of the menu you need to make sure the battery works with it. They will advertise it is compatable with standard charger. At $15.00 each I like having a few around.

I have seen both made by the same manufacturer. The non-matching advertised it came with it's own charger as they will NOT work with the Canon. That is the one to stay away from...any providing a charger battery combo.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:54 PM
delthedog
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?

sjms wrote:
sterlingtek
www.sterlingtek.com

+1

Dec 15, 2011 at 06:24 PM
rick_reno
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?

I've never used an off brand battery, seen too many horror stories. I stick with Canon.

Dec 16, 2011 at 03:56 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?

I've used nothing but Stirlingtek batteries in my 300D, 30D, and 50D for almost 10 years with excellent success.

<Chas>

Dec 16, 2011 at 04:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?

I have generic batteries in addition to Canon brand for 1D2/1Ds2, 5D/G6, and 60D. A combination for US purchased and HK/China-made. All work great and are a terrific savings. We I bought aftermarket Chinese grip for 60D, I ordered the two extra battery option, and picked up one more, so I have two sets of two - great for any assignment of two days. And cheap!

Dec 18, 2011 at 01:57 AM
sifpandor
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?

delthedog wrote:
+1

Another +1 for Sterlingtek

-- Mark

Dec 20, 2011 at 06:20 PM
rdcny
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370564508268

I've used these for the past four months without a problem...they are the higher capacity batteries.

Dec 20, 2011 at 08:11 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?

I've been using Sterlingtek four years now in several different bodies and no issues at all.

Dave

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:53 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?

I've worked in the PC Industry for about 20 years, most of that in the area of peripherals, which includes batteries, so I have some parallel experience here.

There is a bit of risk with the non-OEM batteries, but in the unlikely event that you have an issue that will cause damage it is almost always during charging, so the risk to your camera is fairly small (which isn't true for PC's - knockoffs can be a big issue there...).

More likely, you won't get the performance or longevity of the OEM battteries, but as backups you aren't worrying about that much.

Dec 21, 2011 at 01:19 PM
freakboy

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?

delthedog wrote:
+1

+2

i've used them for years.

Dec 21, 2011 at 02:11 PM
Wayne Crumm
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?

Sterlingtek here also. Great service.

Dec 21, 2011 at 02:25 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?

Sterlingtek

Dec 21, 2011 at 06:31 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Generic batteries for Canon DSLR?

I hate to pile on here, but I've been using Sterlingtek batteries for years.

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:49 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password