Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2011 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

For strap, whatever model the cps one by optech is, that's the best strap I've eer used.
Distributes weight very nicely, and I truly believe that it is the only reason I was able to shoot a wedding on 11-11, fights on 11-12 and a seminar on 11-13 after compressing two discs just 8 days prior.

Dec 09, 2011 at 01:24 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

I use a Black Rapid Double Strap. Obviously, it works when using two cameras but it is also the most comfortable strap I have found when it is broken apart and used as a single. I hate their connector and have had a camera come loose killing a Singh Ray Vari-ND filter. Changed to Bos-Tails and am much happier.

Glasses... I need reading glasses to see the LCD and controls. Major PIA. I often use a neck strap (Staples $2.00) but it can get in the way and would love to find a pair of affordable flip-up reading glasses.

Dec 09, 2011 at 01:49 PM
ZoneV_Nikon
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

gheller wrote:
(1) what do you guys do with your glasses (regular or sunglasses) when you are shooting? I find that I throw them in my sling bag, but not crazy about that option.

greg

I never, ever shoot with glasses, and I don't use contacts. Always right before I start shooting, my glasses (if I have them on) come off and go into a a case which gets put into a pocket or the camera bag. Or sometimes they go on my head or forehead in case I need to see something at distance quickly to set up a shot. I use the diopter adjustment on the camera viewfinder, typically maxed out at the highest setting. I shoot everything, including sports, without glasses, and don't feel compromised in the least most of the time, and I still manage to get award-winning shots every so often. I'm moderately nearsighted (though not quite bad enough to be considered legally blind). But I absolutely need them to drive, etc, so they are always with/on me somewhere.

Dec 09, 2011 at 03:59 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

I use the camdaptor hand strap too. Neck straps are always in the way when using a tripod or storing in a bag. Plus, over the years I managed to break a couple cameras while using a neck strap (swinging into rocks, etc.).

I sewed a small strap with hook onto my 5MDH shoulder pad, using it to hook my sun glasses on.

Dec 09, 2011 at 05:35 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

I use view finder diopter corrections, rather than wearing my glasses while shooting.

The plain old Domke Gripper has been around for a long time, and it's still the best strap I've found.

Dec 09, 2011 at 05:39 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

I got contacts specifically to get around his issue.

Dec 09, 2011 at 05:44 PM
bipock
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

jcolwell wrote:
I use view finder diopter corrections, rather than wearing my glasses while shooting.

I have never thought about that. Bet that gets tried this afternoon.

Dec 09, 2011 at 05:45 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

bipock wrote:
I have never thought about that. Bet that gets tried this afternoon.

I set the diopter so I can shoot without glasses. The problem is that I then need reading glasses to see the menus or the top controls. I could adjust the diopter so I could wear my reading glass continuously but then I wouldn't be able to see my subjects unless I looked thru the viewfinder. It also creates a health hazard as I would be tripping over the very blurry world that would then exist two feet in front of me.

Dec 09, 2011 at 05:52 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

jcolwell wrote:

As one with strong astigmatism (no myopia, but the inevitable presbyopia of a certain age), there's no point for me in shooting without glasses, and it also makes contacts a difficult option, but one that I may return to at some point. Progressive lenses work well to allow me to see distant subjects, the details on LCD, and through the finder of recent camera models. Eyeglasses were a PITA with pre-EOS Canon SLRs, but worse with some other brands.

Dec 09, 2011 at 07:00 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

gheller wrote:
...what do you guys do with your glasses (regular or sunglasses) when you are shooting?

I'm moderately near-sighted. Legally, I need glasses to drive. I have good near vision, though, but I can't stand bifocals.

What I do is wear my glasses to the location of the shoot, then put them in a hard case that goes into a jacket pocket or my camera bag.

Without the glasses I can see the camera controls, LCD playback, etc. just fine. I dial the diopter correction on the viewfinder until that is also sharp without my glasses on.

Then, when I'm looking at the scene eyes-only everything is a little blurry (and the further away the blurrier), but when I bring the camera up to my eye everything snaps into clear focus.

Dec 10, 2011 at 09:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alan321
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

I use progressive eye glasses rather than bifocals. I made sure that the whole top half was the same script so that I had a reasonable chance of seeing stuff correctly in the viewfinder (or when driving). With single-script glasses I either can't see the subjects without the camera, can't see the controls and screens on the camera, or can't see where I'm going.

I rely on AF because it is so hard to get MF just right when I'm using glasses. Problem is that I also have trouble getting AF to work just right

- Alan

Dec 11, 2011 at 10:33 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

gheller wrote:
Hi all

I want to know what you guys do out in the field on 2 issues (while shooting with your Canon gear )

(1) what do you guys do with your glasses (regular or sunglasses) when you are shooting? I find that I throw them in my sling bag, but not crazy about that option.

I don't take them off unless I'm shooting in water.

Dec 11, 2011 at 01:47 PM
tandlh
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

I've started using glass straps, the kind that boaters use. That way when I don't want them I just take them off and let them hang from my neck. Then they are always handy when I want them.

Ted

Dec 11, 2011 at 02:04 PM
lowbone
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

I wear glasses while shooting and use a Hoodman eye cup designed for people who shoot with glasses.

Dec 11, 2011 at 02:06 PM
ioana o

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

Glasses on. I recently got them for astigmatism and the view finder diopter correction does not work in my case.
Part two - no answer.

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:51 PM
fauge

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

omarlyn wrote:
Scratch the hell out of them by putting my glasses in my shirt pocket and forgetting about them until I bend down and they fall out!

Omar

That's exactly what I do too!

Dec 12, 2011 at 05:37 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

I just hook my sunglasses around my shirt collar. I usually wear contacts but when I'm not, the glasses stay on my nose.

I finally settled on an optech pro loop strap and I like it a lot. It's long enough so I can carry the camera on my rear hip, which is definitely more comfortable than carrying it around my neck and bouncing off my solar plexus. It really isn't that hard to get it up and shooting either. I think running the strap to my opposite shoulder would be more secure but I don't think it would be user friendly. The upstrap looks very similar in that regard. I just really don't want to bounce my camera off the ground like some blackrapid strap users have reported, and I also don't want to hook it into my tripod connector because I use a tripod / monopod fairly frequently. So that would be a negative for the sun sniper too.

Dec 12, 2011 at 07:31 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

Great strap tests are here: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0083/1012/files/AP-Strap-Test.pdf?1014

Dec 13, 2011 at 07:17 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

Tom K. wrote:
Great strap tests are here: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0083/1012/files/AP-Strap-Test.pdf?1014

Interesting read. Unfortunately, they tested the 1" wide Domke Gripper, not the more common 1.5" wide version. Their comment that it's "not practical for larger cameras" it true for the 1" strap, not the 1.5" strap. I regularly use the 1.5" Gripper on 1D-series bodies with heavy lenses like the 70-200/2.8L IS II, and 28-300L; there's no "cutting in" as noted in the review. I'm comfortable with them hanging off my shoulders (usually two bodies) for many hours. I use a 1" strap for my Fujifilm X100.

Their other 'con' that it has no give, is a 'pro' for me.

Here's a comparison of the two Gripper sizes.

Dec 13, 2011 at 01:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Glasses while shooting & best strap...

BTW, I don't like the typical clip swivels that are provided on many straps, including the Gripper. I cut them off and use an assembly of small split rings, fishing swivels (400 lb test), and mini-carabiners to attach it to small webbing loops through the camera strap lugs. I did strength tests on this setup a few years ago, and the weak point is the stainless split rings, they gradually deform and pull apart with about 200 lbs load. None of my 'camera' drop tests caused any problems.

Here's what my current setup looks like.

Edited on Dec 13, 2011 at 03:55 PM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2011 at 01:59 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password