Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Camera Regular Checkup at NPS - useful?

Michael Seto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera Regular Checkup at NPS - useful?

Hi, I've got two D700's with about four years of duty, call it around 125k and 100k actuations.

They've been sent into Melville for the little known hot shoe issue and those were replaced.

But never sent them in for any regular check-ups (CLA clean lube adjust). My theory is that if everything is working okay, there's no need to have anything looked at...not sure if that's optimal for equipment maintenance.

So my question: Does anyone regularly (say annually) send in their cameras to NPS for a checkup?
- Did Nikon uncover any problems you were not aware of?
- Did you notice anything on the camera's return?
- What's the cost/turnaround time (assuming no major issues)?

Any other thoughts on regular camera inspection maintenance by Nikon?

Dec 07, 2011 at 10:00 AM
charles sharpe
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera Regular Checkup at NPS - useful?

Hello Michael.

My dad use to say if it is not broke don't fix it. If both bodys are working as you would like them I would leave well alone. I have had to use Nikon in the past on a D3 and it was back to me in 7 days but it had to go back because they forgot to plug a cable back in it's socket. All ok know . I know they say it is best to have it serviced more often but it was ok years age when the insides were nuts and bolts but know there is so much electronics and bits get disturbed and they never go back the same as they were.

Charles.

Dec 07, 2011 at 10:51 AM
ishootsports3
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera Regular Checkup at NPS - useful?

I dont but I know a very well respected pro who sends in all his stuff every 6 months to get it checked up and adjusted and he said it comes back noticeably better... he does shoot canon tho

Dec 07, 2011 at 11:01 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera Regular Checkup at NPS - useful?

A problem with the theory of "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" is that if you never check your equipment how do you know if it is broke or not. And when we are talking about electronics, there can be many things wrong that are not apparent to the casual observer.

Roy

Dec 07, 2011 at 03:09 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera Regular Checkup at NPS - useful?

Michael Seto wrote:
Hi, I've got two D700's with about four years of duty, call it around 125k and 100k actuations.

They've been sent into Melville for the little known hot shoe issue and those were replaced.

But never sent them in for any regular check-ups (CLA clean lube adjust). My theory is that if everything is working okay, there's no need to have anything looked at...not sure if that's optimal for equipment maintenance.

So my question: Does anyone regularly (say annually) send in their cameras to NPS for a checkup?
- Did Nikon uncover any problems you were not aware of?
- Did
...Show more

I have no idea what NPS is, but I've sent it cameras for repair and other faults were located and fixed that I never even knew about. This has happened with canon and nikon.

Dec 07, 2011 at 04:26 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera Regular Checkup at NPS - useful?

Nikon Professional Services

Dec 08, 2011 at 07:39 AM
ScenesofNewYork

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera Regular Checkup at NPS - useful?

tell me about the hot shoe issue please! I thought it was just me...my sb 800 and 900 units occasionally kind of go nuts and fire by themselves. It seems like the flashes are a little loose on the shoe.

Dec 10, 2011 at 08:59 AM
Scott Grant
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera Regular Checkup at NPS - useful?

ScenesofNewYork wrote:
tell me about the hot shoe issue please! I thought it was just me...my sb 800 and 900 units occasionally kind of go nuts and fire by themselves. It seems like the flashes are a little loose on the shoe.

Those are the symptoms of the hotshoe issue. It will need replacing.

Dec 10, 2011 at 09:59 AM
JHerr
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera Regular Checkup at NPS - useful?

It is a very common issue, it is currently happening with both my d700's. But ofcourse Nikon refuses to call it a product defect so it will cost a few hundred to fix.

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:55 PM
Michael Seto
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera Regular Checkup at NPS - useful?

Hot Shoe Issue: It's a fairly common issue, but not hugely publicized. There are some bad hotshoes that result in random firings and poor connectivity on the D700. I've had both mine replaced and they work fine since then. About $150 or so I think.

Dec 10, 2011 at 02:07 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera Regular Checkup at NPS - useful?

Back when cameras were mechanical marvels, a CLA was a good idea. Now aside from the shutter and buttons, everything is electronic. There is nothing to lubricate unless you want to oil up the circuit boards to make the electrons slide through faster. You could dust the boards off, too.

They could check and make sure everything is within spec and maybe head off a breakdown later.

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:38 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camera Regular Checkup at NPS - useful?

I recently sent one of my D700's to El Segundo for an LCD issue. The LCD was OK, the contacts were the culprit. They did find the rubber grip needed to be replaced, checked the autofocus operation, did an image test, checked the LCD display, did a general check and clean. Parts and labor = $145.00.

Camera works better now then when I bought it new. From now on, every year, both D-700's go in for inspection and clean.

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:55 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.