Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2011 · Shutter Blade

dacop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Shutter Blade

I was at a swimming event today and I noticed a black band across my images. At first I thought it was the strap but then I did a "clean sensor" and the shutter stayed open and I noticed a plastic blade across the sensor. I needed these images so I gently went in there a pulled it out. The rest of the day went fine and I see nothing wrong with any of my images after I removed that blade.

How long could I expect this to continue? What could happen next if anything?

Thanks!

Dec 07, 2011 at 03:18 AM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #2 · Shutter Blade

You actually removed a shutter blade?

Edited on Dec 07, 2011 at 03:28 AM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2011 at 03:22 AM
dacop
• • •
p.1 #3 · Shutter Blade

Yes, I needed the images and had no backup camera with me, so I carefully pulled the blade out and the images looked fine. No more black band across and no problems.

Dec 07, 2011 at 03:24 AM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #4 · Shutter Blade

I'm curious myself. Have you tried other shutter speeds?

Dec 07, 2011 at 03:29 AM
dacop
• • •
p.1 #5 · Shutter Blade

Yes. All was ok after the removal. At this point I am just wondering if this is just the beginning of a huge problem.

Dec 07, 2011 at 03:32 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Shutter Blade

I want to see how this ends

Jefferson

Dec 07, 2011 at 03:38 AM
dacop
• • •
p.1 #7 · Shutter Blade

...so do I. Well I have a dance to cover on Thursday and I will be using the camera, but will have a backup on hand just in case.

Dec 07, 2011 at 03:44 AM
dacop
• • •
p.1 #8 · Shutter Blade

BTW...does anyone know what the shutter blade does?

Dec 07, 2011 at 03:46 AM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #9 · Shutter Blade

Never mind, I'm still 1rd on this.

Dec 07, 2011 at 04:04 AM
wickerprints
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Shutter Blade

dacop wrote:
BTW...does anyone know what the shutter blade does?

This is a serious question?

If so, the answer is simple. The shutter blocks incoming light from striking the sensor. The functional portion of the shutter consists of two curtains, each of which is composed of multiple individual shutter blades. Pulling one of these blades out may affect exposure, assuming that the shutter is not otherwise damaged by its removal.

Dec 07, 2011 at 04:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dacop
• • •
p.1 #11 · Shutter Blade

Yes its a serious question...and why not. Because my camera is functioning fine without it. How, is this possible? And if I knew the full function of a camera shutter I would fix it myself.

Dec 07, 2011 at 04:25 AM
Sgt93
• • •
p.1 #12 · Shutter Blade

Subscribed!!!

Dec 07, 2011 at 04:28 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · Shutter Blade

tag thread.

Dec 07, 2011 at 04:37 AM
wickerprints
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Shutter Blade

dacop wrote:
Yes its a serious question...and why not. Because my camera is functioning fine without it. How, is this possible? And if I knew the full function of a camera shutter I would fix it myself.

Here's the thing. The assumption that your camera is working fine without the blade is based on your limited observations. You can only tell that the exposure appears correct. You don't know if your shutter has suffered some other kind of damage as a result of the initial failure or your subsequent removal of the blade. Your response is a bit like seeing a bolt or washer fall out from your car, and since your car doesn't seem to be any worse off, you shrug it off and think "oh well it couldn't have been THAT important." Meanwhile something has come loose and a few months later you have a catastrophic failure.

So to be clear, there are NO extraneous components in a camera shutter. None. If it was there when they built it, it was there for a very, very good reason. It's a shutter blade, not a stick of gum from a 5-pack.

Dec 07, 2011 at 05:19 AM
dwerther
• • •
p.1 #15 · Shutter Blade

Jefferson wrote:
I want to see how this ends

Jefferson

+1

Dec 07, 2011 at 05:36 AM
jbledsoe
• • •
p.1 #16 · Shutter Blade

It's obvious how it will end... a broke body and an unhappy shooter. I'd send it in for repair while the invoice 'may' not be as much as it could be later. Think instead of a blade the whole shutter goes while shooting and scratches the sensor glass. That would be much more costly to fix.

Dec 07, 2011 at 05:49 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Shutter Blade

You kept the blade, I hope. Do you have a macro or close up lens to make and post a clear picture of it for us?

Which camera was it?

Dec 07, 2011 at 06:04 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Shutter Blade

I shutter at the thought of how this one pans out.

Dec 07, 2011 at 06:11 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Shutter Blade

dacop wrote:
...What could happen next if anything?

Another blade could come loose and drag across the sensor's protective filter or antialiasing filter, destroying it, and then become detached and fly into the mirror, destroying that, before finally coming to rest imbedded in the AF sensor.

Nothing to worry about.

Dec 07, 2011 at 06:15 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Shutter Blade

Yes, my vote is that the shutter will blow up and scratch the sensor cover. Hello, expensive repair on the sensor!

I know it is stupid, but I have to say: I would not take one more shot with that body until it is repaired.

Dec 07, 2011 at 06:17 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password