Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Hitech Filters

beretta
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hitech Filters

Hi All
I am wanting a set of Grad ND filters and have been looking at Hitech.
What does the quality rate compared to Lee filters.
Any thoughts would be helpfull.

George

Dec 06, 2011 at 10:32 PM
TheWengler
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hitech Filters

The Hitechs are thinner and don't come with a nice pouch. I also had more color cast with them than I've had with my Lee filters. I believe the larger ones are 4x5 instead of 4x6, but I could be wrong about that.

Dec 07, 2011 at 01:49 AM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hitech Filters

I use Hitech ND grads and reverse ND grad.

They are resin filters, which can scratch, but then they are less prone to breaking than are glass filters. I have not had a problem with scratches, but I have not used them extensively.

Some reviews of Hitech:
- http://landscapephotographymagazine.com/2011/hitech-reverse-nd-grad-filter/
- http://www.fotomoondo.com/Reviews/Entries/2009/1/10_Entry_1.html
- http://www.dannylintonphotography.com/nggallery/hitech-nd-grad-review/

I would like to hear what others think too.

Jim

Dec 07, 2011 at 01:58 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hitech Filters

TheWengler wrote:
The Hitechs are thinner and don't come with a nice pouch. I also had more color cast with them than I've had with my Lee filters. I believe the larger ones are 4x5 instead of 4x6, but I could be wrong about that.

I agree with all of these statements, as I have had quite a few of the P sizes and a few of the Cokin Z sizes (4" wide like Lee). The magenta cast is not too noticeable at 2 and perhaps 3 stops, but by 4 stops the color cast is prominent and becomes more so if you stack them.
The P sized Hitechs are a good $ deal and a good deal less than the Lees, which are only the 4" size. The 4" size Hitechs GNDs are 4X5" while the Lees are 4x6".

Dec 07, 2011 at 03:53 AM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hitech Filters

TheWengler wrote:
The Hitechs are thinner and don't come with a nice pouch.

nice=uselss, at least IMO. the provided pouch occupies too much space, weighs too much, and is a PITA to use. I personally keep my 100mm filers in these
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/210726-REG/LEE_Filters_PFE_Velvet_Filter_Envelope_for.html

Dramatically overpriced for what it is, but then everything Lee is ($70 for a threaded aluminum ring, anyone?)

I also had more color cast with them than I've had with my Lee filters.
Probably true, just by looking at the filters with naked eye you can see some brownish overtones in the Hitechs. Having said this, ALL ND filters produce a cast, but that is correctable in PP so unless it is dramatic I would not worry about it. Perhaps the only exception is srong (8-10x) NDs, where IR leakage can be a real killer.

I believe the larger ones are 4x5 instead of 4x6, but I could be wrong about that.
Correct.

Overall, I think the Hitech filters provide a decent value for those of us that use them casually.

Dec 07, 2011 at 04:18 AM
gardenvalley
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hitech Filters

I`ve used Hitech ND grads in both `P` and 100mm sizes and have had no problems with colour casts even when combining 3 and 2 stop grads together. I understand that the Hitech 100s may be available in both 5" and 6" versions. They are thinner than the Lees although all resin filters will scratch if abused and so should be considered expendable.

Dec 07, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

TheWengler
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hitech Filters

I agree that the pouches aren't that practical and to be honest I don't use them either. However, it would have been nice to have when I was first starting out with filters. Since I had nothing to put my Hitechs in when I first got them, I just put them back in the plastic sleeve they came in and they ended up scratched pretty quickly.

Dec 07, 2011 at 10:20 PM
beretta
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hitech Filters

Thanks for the replies. It seems the color cast is the only negative which does not seem to be a big problem.I was probally more concerned with optical quality.
I think they worth a try for the price and availability.
They are made in 4x6 buy the way.

George

Dec 08, 2011 at 02:21 AM
apsphoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hitech Filters

I use them and they are a lot cheaper to replace if you scratch them, they have a very slight color cast, but they are easier to get than the lee filters. Optically they are good, I like them.

Alan

Dec 09, 2011 at 04:09 PM
beretta
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hitech Filters

While we are on the topic of Grad NDs what is your most used strength of filter. ! ,2 or 3 stop?

Dec 09, 2011 at 07:27 PM
dlabrecque
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hitech Filters

Oh, that one's easy - 3 stops are mostly what I have, plus an occasional 4 stop. I've rarely found a call for a 2 stop. The only purpose I would ever find for a 1 stop would be in combination with another filter for added density.

Dec 09, 2011 at 09:33 PM
TheWengler
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hitech Filters

I probably use 3 more than 2 and hard more than soft, but it just depends on the scene. A common recommendation is to get 3 hard and 2 soft if you're only getting two.

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:05 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password