Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Current feedback on PW Flex TT% and the Mini TT! ?

rleep

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Current feedback on PW Flex TT% and the Mini TT! ?

The videos on u tube and the pocket wizard site make this product look so appealing for off camera flash setups BUT the reviews on B and H are all over the place with positive and negative commends. Have these PW's for Canon improved lately.

Does anyone have experience with these from a rather recent purchase?

Dec 06, 2011 at 03:09 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Current feedback on PW Flex TT% and the Mini TT! ?

Has there been a firmware update that is supposed to have improved performance? I had them, used them for one job, then sold them. I have a much better time dialing in manual flash than I did trying to get these to work. When they work, it worked well. They just didn't work all the time

Dec 06, 2011 at 03:51 PM
ragebot
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Current feedback on PW Flex TT% and the Mini TT! ?

This poll may be of interest

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1064514

I would also suggest you ask this question in the lighting forum here. As the poll shows PW are the clear leader in the FM lighting forum. I have been very happy with mine; never had a problem. They worked right out of the box even with my not reading the manual first.

Not to say some folks have not posted about their problems, but a lot of folks do like them.

Dec 06, 2011 at 05:29 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Current feedback on PW Flex TT% and the Mini TT! ?

I have a Mini TT1, an AC3, and three Flex TT5s, and they're probably the best gear purchase I've made. Once in a while the flashes don't fire, but it's seldom enough that it doesn't bother me.

Dec 06, 2011 at 06:27 PM
soccerjoe5
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Current feedback on PW Flex TT% and the Mini TT! ?

After reading the very comprehensive review here - http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-9884-9903 - and all the great feedback, I'm itching to get myself a set. It's perfect because all my flashes are 430 EX II

Dec 06, 2011 at 07:51 PM
Methodical
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Current feedback on PW Flex TT% and the Mini TT! ?

You should be cognizant of the dates of the reviews and videos. From my readings, there issues early on, but have been taken care of. I use the TT1/TT5, AC3 and EC2 and they work like a charm. With the AC3 adjusting power levels (manual and ETTL) from the top of your camera without having to go over to it was a deal breaker for me. Then with the EC2 and Einstein, I can do the same (manual of course) and automatically track changes when I changed SS, ISO or FEC is a nice deal, too; it controls many other features of the Einstein, too. On top of that, you don't need a trigger in a flash meter, you can simply use the TT1/TT5 to trigger the flash to obtain the readings. Now, the one issue is the range with the 580 exII, but I don't find myself trigger 100s of feet from the flash, so a non-issue for me, plus the sock works to correct that issue.

rleep wrote:
The videos on u tube and the pocket wizard site make this product look so appealing for off camera flash setups BUT the reviews on B and H are all over the place with positive and negative commends. Have these PW's for Canon improved lately.

Does anyone have experience with these from a rather recent purchase?

Dec 07, 2011 at 02:37 PM
bin
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Current feedback on PW Flex TT% and the Mini TT! ?

For the most part, they are OK. The only thing you need to be aware of is what equipment you already have. The 430EX II are the best flashes to use OCF for these. Yes you can use the other flashes but be prepared to have limited range, or erratic firing, or to put on that funny looking workaround sock or shield on them. Also one other thing I have noticed is they seem to work better with newer bodies than older bodies (my guess is PW does more testing on newer bodies with these). I had a 5D (the original) and OCF firing was erratic and the HSS performance on it was also erratic. But on the fairly newer bodies (5D II, 1D IV), they seemed fine.

They are a bit temperamental so you need to be careful with how you operate them. Just watch the PW videos and read the manuals carefully and you'll be fine.

Dec 07, 2011 at 02:59 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Current feedback on PW Flex TT% and the Mini TT! ?

i used them for over a year. i had constant issues w/ them. mis fires, no fires. when they worked, they worked awesomely, however it seemed they were more of a headache than anything else.

switched to radio poppers and haven't looked back.

Dec 07, 2011 at 05:56 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.