New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · History of Marriage

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · History of Marriage

History of Marriage, by today's standards, appears to be a disposable commodity... Here I define the stages a couple go through via movie titles.. First there is the fantasy to reality stage ( Virtuosity )... Second is the commitment stage ( Blood Diamond )... Third is The risk / the gamble ( 21 )... Next is the mystery, discovery stage ( X Files )... Then Hard times, reality, bills, children, stress ( The Departed ) And finally The big "D" ( Crash )... This image is intended to provoke thought.. What do you see?? Your comments are always welcome... Thank you

Dec 06, 2011 at 08:45 AM
LDRider
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · History of Marriage

For once, I am speechless..

Dec 06, 2011 at 11:40 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · History of Marriage

LDRider wrote:
For once, I am speechless..

Thank you Lord for allowing me to perform this miracle.. Thank you

Dec 06, 2011 at 11:45 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · History of Marriage

Many stories here.

Somehow Barbie and Ken might fit in?

Bob

Dec 06, 2011 at 07:35 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · History of Marriage

Bob Jarman wrote:
Many stories here.

Somehow Barbie and Ken might fit in?

Bob

Ken & Barbie will appear in a later post... Thank you..

Dec 06, 2011 at 08:12 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · History of Marriage

Interesting concept with the movie titles, but I find the other props in the shot dilute the message and distract. The Logan's bucket and M&M guy and Sunflower just don't fit and the sunflower by virtue of its size and dominant position is too much of a focal point.

The focal point should be the man & wife figures. They would be easier to relate to if both were facing more up into the camera full face and if the color balance were more normal. To enhance the "this was the road of marriage now behind us" message you might want to consider very shallow DOF where they and the red box with LOVE on it is sharp but the DVDs are slightly OOF as if foggy memories. Here's a quick edit to show what I mean...

http://super.nova.org/EDITS/HOM.jpg

Dec 07, 2011 at 07:28 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · History of Marriage

cgardner wrote:
Interesting concept with the movie titles, but I find the other props in the shot dilute the message and distract. The Logan's bucket and M&M guy and Sunflower just don't fit and the sunflower by virtue of its size and dominant position is too much of a focal point.

The focal point should be the man & wife figures. They would be easier to relate to if both were facing more up into the camera full face and if the color balance were more normal. To enhance the "this was the road of marriage now behind us" message you might
...Show more

Chuck; Thank you.. Although I agree with you I feel the need for clarification.. The Sunflower is a representation on youthful anticipation.. Everything is sunny, so sunny I need shades.. These, of course, obscure the sun presenting the real world.. The beads, Logan's, and MM represent the courtship.. The "No trespassing" sign is abstinence, truly a lost concept in today's society.. The movie titles were enhanced to indicate how our life's are dominated by the things around us.. The Man & woman are separated by that which drew them together.. Love is intentionally obscured and brightened to symbolize the love of things more than the desire for family.. Finally the couple are not facing each other, or the camera, to simulate loss of focus, purpose, foresight.. The concept of "Family" is no longer understood.. Materialism rules..Love replaced by desire.. longevity by liquidity.. Now you understand the inter workings of a "Clockwork Orange" mentality..

Dec 07, 2011 at 09:57 AM
mrchile
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · History of Marriage

Way too much for me to interpret here. I now have to go dump cool water into my ears to cool off my brain.

Dec 07, 2011 at 06:10 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · History of Marriage

I like the idea. But in my opinion (money-back guarantee here), the overall pic just looks cluttered.

A suggestion might be to take several images w/ the same dolls, 1 for each stage that you mentioned. You might even give him a receding hairline, her some crow's feet & laugh lines, both a few extra pounds, to show the passing of time.

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:11 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · History of Marriage

Nikon_14 wrote:
I like the idea. But in my opinion (money-back guarantee here), the overall pic just looks cluttered.

A suggestion might be to take several images w/ the same dolls, 1 for each stage that you mentioned. You might even give him a receding hairline, her some crow's feet & laugh lines, both a few extra pounds, to show the passing of time.

I see your point & will give it a try.. Thank you.

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:45 AM
JGrindeland

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · History of Marriage

It's like a good inside-joke. In this case, it's a case of "a picture along with a short description is worth a thousand words". As such, I like it. On this site, however, I think it gives a lot of critics a deer-in-the-headlights response, as they're used to evaluating photos as "stand-alone" pieces. Yours is a conceptual work that is completely ambiguous or obscure without the accompanying words. It won't work in a photo contest; nevertheless, for those who understand its intended meaning, and who share your sense of humor, it can give many smiles.

Dec 17, 2011 at 03:35 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · History of Marriage

JGrindeland wrote:
It's like a good inside-joke. In this case, it's a case of "a picture along with a short description is worth a thousand words". As such, I like it. On this site, however, I think it gives a lot of critics a deer-in-the-headlights response, as they're used to evaluating photos as "stand-alone" pieces. Yours is a conceptual work that is completely ambiguous or obscure without the accompanying words. It won't work in a photo contest; nevertheless, for those who understand its intended meaning, and who share your sense of humor, it can give many smiles.

I am honored that you chose this image for your first post.. Welcome.. I agree with you totally.. I have found over the years you can stir the hornets nest when you post an ambiguous / interpretive image.. One has to do something to prevent senility..

Dec 17, 2011 at 04:33 PM
Chumma
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · History of Marriage

Marriage, as life itself, is a mixture of positive and negative experiences, although such experiences come in different proportions in different instances. I can fully understand how those sunflower, MM, and the beads represent the joy, the opportunities and the promises surrounding marriage. However, to represent the hardship, the heartbreak, the envy and such negative aspects, it would have been better to use some objects other than mere DVD packets, some objects that symbolize such experiences. Good work though!

Dec 17, 2011 at 05:27 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · History of Marriage

Chumma wrote:
Marriage, as life itself, is a mixture of positive and negative experiences, although such experiences come in different proportions in different instances. I can fully understand how those sunflower, MM, and the beads represent the joy, the opportunities and the promises surrounding marriage. However, to represent the hardship, the heartbreak, the envy and such negative aspects, it would have been better to use some objects other than mere DVD packets, some objects that symbolize such experiences. Good work though!

Thank you.. My wife objected to my using a copy of our monthly expenditures, a wine bottle, and a spent shell case.. Again, thanks..

Dec 17, 2011 at 08:57 PM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · History of Marriage

Cool idea indeed, but without the explanation, what does the picture really say? I know what you're thinking inside but how can you show what you're thinking without using the words to tell us your thoughts?

Dec 29, 2011 at 09:03 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · History of Marriage

Mohaimen Kazi wrote:
Cool idea indeed, but without the explanation, what does the picture really say? I know what you're thinking inside but how can you show what you're thinking without using the words to tell us your thoughts?

Thank you.. I agree with your analogy and will endeavor to perceiver

Dec 29, 2011 at 09:14 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.