New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · To display or not display EXIF data

Bill Ley
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · To display or not display EXIF data

This may be a dumb question, but what would the reason be for a photographer to NOT embed their EXIF data into their photos?

For myself, I really like to see what 'settings' were used, so it helps me to learn. I had mentioned to a friend of mine (who shoots semi-professionally) that I like to view his EXIF data on his website photos, and his reply was that he just didn't have time to disable it yet??

Dec 06, 2011 at 08:43 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · To display or not display EXIF data

I see little point in EXIF information. It doesn't really prove or explain anything, just a source for those who must know the camera/lens, f-stop/shutter speed, and other technical stuff that has little value to the art of photography. You most likely will not be able duplicate the same scene, or event in the exact same way as the photographer who you want to reference. EXIF has morphed into too much information. In the film days it used to be confined to camera, f-stop, and shutter speed. That information was occasionally printed in magazines like Popular Photography, or the stats of contest winners. EXIF might be a temporary learning tool, but IMO it is more of a crutch. You will never see EXIF on photography prints, or any place that displays photography, nor will you see it used as reference on or near painted art or sculpture.

Dec 06, 2011 at 10:38 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · To display or not display EXIF data

+1

It is even less meaningful these days with all the various crop factors. You would almost have to have an encyclopedic memory of all the cameras and their sensor sizes to make heads or tails of any f-stop and associated DOF.

Also, what works in the way I shoot may not work for the next person on the exact same scene. By the time I'm finished processing a shot, I may have altered perceptive focus and DOF to make EXIF totally meaningless.

It makes sense in a book or magazine geared towards educating the reader. But then many are looking for recipes and not understanding.

If you'e really after understanding, go and shoot the same scene from a tripod at different f-stops, shutter speeds, and iso settings (and any other feature you want to learn about) varying them one at a time to see how it affects your results.

Dec 06, 2011 at 11:52 AM
Mickey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · To display or not display EXIF data

It makes sense in a book or magazine geared towards educating the reader.

Isn't FM an electronic form of book or magazine? I thought helping to educate new photographers was a lot of what FM is all about. Why make judgment calls about what someone else might want or need to improve their work based on what you may or may not need? I share all kinds of photography information with my students that at my stage of photography I have little us for. Should I go on the premise that if I don't need it , they don't need it?
To limit information IS to limit understanding.

Dec 06, 2011 at 12:26 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · To display or not display EXIF data

You make an excellent point Mickey regarding FM. For those who want to include it if they feel it has educational merit, they can.

The OP was referring to EXIF information on his friend's site. I do not include it on mine.

Dec 06, 2011 at 02:35 PM
Bill Ley
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · To display or not display EXIF data

Bernie, I was actually referring to any site. For me, I still like to see what settings others use. I may look at their photo and wonder why they shot it at 100 ISO as opposed to 800, or something like that. I especially like to see the data on something like a night sky shot, where it may have be a 2 second or 30 second exposure. I was mainly interested as to why someone would chose NOT to show it. It's almost like it's some big secret, because it seems most of the ones who chose not to show it also post DO NOT COPY or something similar, like someone would really want a low res photo from the web

Dec 07, 2011 at 06:11 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · To display or not display EXIF data

most of the ones who chose not to show it also post DO NOT COPY or something similar, like someone would really want a low res photo from the web

Bill..... Every photo is not supposed to be a personal teaching tool (EXIF) for inquiring minds. Your above quote is really not accurate outside of the photo learning forums. Even then it's a real stretch to say "most". There are millions of photos in magazines, newspapers, and books that don't mention technical settings. Should we feel cheated because publications didn't see any point to including it? There is endless information on the web that would answer all your specific questions on 'how to'. Those photographers who include "DO NOT COPY", or include a copyright notice have a perfect right to do so. Low res pictures can be lifted and placed on low res websites without permission. Genuine Fractals (now Perfect Resize) program can even make low res pictures into nice prints.

If you rely on other peoples stats so you can duplicate a specific type of picture yourself remember that f2.8, for instance, on a full frame camera is not f2.8 on an APS-C, or on a MFT camera, and certainly not on tiny P&S sensor. ISO 1600 on a full frame is going to look far different on a MFT sensor. DOF, f-stops, noise, etc. are all influenced by sensor size. This is another reason why EXIF depends on the camera you own, not general stats like in the 35mm film days where a format was defined.

The first photograph was made in the 1830s (France). One hundred and sixty some years have passed before EXIF was even available yet photographers managed to learn the basics without that information. EXIF was designed by camera engineers, not photographers. Technical stats will never teach you photography.

Dec 08, 2011 at 08:29 AM
Bill Ley
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · To display or not display EXIF data

You're missing the point of my main question. With digital photos, doesn't it take more effort to not display this info? Isn't it already embedded into the photo, and by default it's posted along with the photo? If that's the case (which I'm not sure, which is why I'm asking) doesn't it take more effort to not display it? And if that is the case

And as for the Do not copy and copyright notice, I know they have a right to do so.

I'm sorry I brought up my original question of what would the reason be for a photographer to NOT embed their EXIF data into their photos. I thought there would be a simple answer. Now I'm wondering why that info is even embedded into the photo if it's so useless

Dec 08, 2011 at 09:18 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · To display or not display EXIF data

Bill .... "Effort" is relative. It takes effort to shoot pictures. It takes little effort to push a couple of buttons to remove EXIF information completely. The only thing I find of value is the date you shot the picture.... and that could be boiled down to just the year.

EXIF might be useful to the photographer who can later learn from that information from his camera (because of the many variations I mentioned). That is your personal teaching tool if you want it to be.

Dec 08, 2011 at 09:38 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · To display or not display EXIF data

When you "Save for the web" in Photoshop, EXIF info is automatically stripped from the image, presumably to make the file smaller and faster to transmit.

There are times when I take the same shot at different f stops. And I usually bracket my shots when shooting landscapes / nature. In those cases EXIF is important to me, the photographer, when analyzing the images.

Also, since I rename all my shots based on the date / time the image was taken, it's important in that instance as well. There are times when submitting images to a jury for a gallery showing, the copyright information is important to be retained.

Dec 08, 2011 at 02:41 PM
rnickl
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · To display or not display EXIF data

I use "save for web" because it seems to retain a touch more detail on web hosted photos but, as said, it does strip the EXIF data.

Being primarily a macro shooter I prefer nobody can see the EXIF anyway. It won't tell you if I'm using tubes, diopters, the magnification, the proper f ratio, the list goes on. It's more likely to confuse or send someone in the wrong direction if they look at the EXIF from one of my shots.

Dec 09, 2011 at 12:24 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · To display or not display EXIF data

Bill Ley wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but what would the reason be for a photographer to NOT embed their EXIF data into their photos?

For myself, I really like to see what 'settings' were used, so it helps me to learn. I had mentioned to a friend of mine (who shoots semi-professionally) that I like to view his EXIF data on his website photos, and his reply was that he just didn't have time to disable it yet??

What reason is there to show the exif data when presenting a photo in the Presentation forums here at FM

If anybody ask me about it, he/she can have it. But the only reason I can see for it, is when you are posting in some kind of teaching/learning forum

Dec 09, 2011 at 01:37 AM
Bill Ley
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · To display or not display EXIF data

Lars Johnsson wrote:
What reason is there to show the exif data when presenting a photo in the Presentation forums here at FM

If anybody ask me about it, he/she can have it. But the only reason I can see for it, is when you are posting in some kind of teaching/learning forum

I read many posts here on these forums where people are asking about the lens used, what shutter speed etc, so there are those here that are curious

Dec 09, 2011 at 10:17 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · To display or not display EXIF data

Bill Ley wrote:
I read many posts here on these forums where people are asking about the lens used, what shutter speed etc, so there are those here that are curious

In the gear forum yes. But the presentation forums are different.
And if i show my exif data, most of the time you can't see what lens I used because of that

Dec 09, 2011 at 11:44 AM
leftymgp
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · To display or not display EXIF data

I always make a point to leave it in. If somebody is curious enough to want to know my camera/lens/settings, I certainly don't mind them knowing.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:18 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · To display or not display EXIF data

I almost always remove it. Typically the info is nobody's business and the viewer should concentrate on the image. Notable exceptions are tutorials, technical images for troubleshooting, and scientific/forensic images.

EBH

EBH

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:54 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.