Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · They just keep working ...

Paul_K
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · They just keep working ...

Just some thoughts on how much abuse Nikon appear to be able to take

I recently got a 1.4/85mm AFD and discovered the AF on one of my D3 was off when shooting close ups. Being a NPS member in the Netherlands I'm entitled for one free clean and check a year for all my registered Nikon gear, so yesterday I decided to make a trip to my Nikon Service Point.

As just making the trip for one body was kind of a waste I decided to take my other D3 and my long retired D2X along for a free sensor cleaning as well, just for the fun of it.

While I was waiting, one of the service people came from the back, looking quite distressed. He explained the the lens mount of my D2X was considerably bent. The wobble was several millimeters in the horizontal plane, while the verical axis seemed unaffected. It was bent to such an extent that the ring with the aperture tab could only by force be turned to the fully closed position (as when using a AF lens with the aperture set from the dial on the body). With e.g. a manual lens it would probably be even next to impossible.

I was quite amazed, as I had never noticed any problems.With the aperture ring it was understandable as I've used AFD, AFS and AFI lenses (where the aperture ring was manually set on the f22 position). But I never had any problems with the AF either.

I tried to remember when such a catastrophic event had occured that I bent the body/lensmount in such a way. And remembered that five and a half years ago, shortly after I bought the body, I was shooting surf with two bodies, one of which the D2X with a TC and a long zoom lens.

I had just for a moment laid the D2x on the ground, when some blonde girl came trippling around, over my camera and of course slipped and stepped on it. At that time the only damage I could find (afterwards) was a bent TC, but being a cheapy Kenko one I didn't think much of it.

Two years and some tens of thousands pictures later I bought my first D3 and the D2X went into semi retirement. Mind you, I had had no complains with unusually or excessively much OOF pictures despite shooting with lenses like the 200-400 and 4/600 fully or nearly full opened of surfers and other high speed subjects.

Kind of remembered me of the time back in the eighties when I took my FE for a check to Nikon and they discovered the metal housing of the prism was bent to such and extent that the ring with the aperture tab on the body was bent (yes, then too).

I was told what the official repair would cost, but realising I was at that time a poor student, the service mechanic told me to look te other way. He then simply took a screwdriver and twisted the mental housing up a bit so that the ring could turn again and I used that body for years and at full satisfaction till I switched over to AF.

And thinking of it, of the time when I dropped my 2/28mm AiS on the floor with such force the aperture fork on the lens (the one the old lenses had for use with the F1 Photomic and the Nikkormat) completely bent and broke of. Still use that lens..

Mind you, I do take care of my equipment and take no pride of abusing it in any way, but in the over 30 years I'm using Nikon, some mishaps are bound to happen.

So I guess Nikon still lives up to its reputation of being able to take a hit and keep on working.
OK, maybe not as extreme as Don McCullin's Nikon F http://www.fine-grains.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/bullet-hit-Nikon-F.jpg but still...

Dec 06, 2011 at 11:13 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · They just keep working ...

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Dec 06, 2011 at 12:02 PM
Mark Oberle

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · They just keep working ...

Agree with the Nikons being tough. Several months ago on a photo club outing...a friend was going to demo his new boat for 3 of us. Long story-short...My D90 went into the lake. It took about a minute to find it. Pulling it out of the water...took out the battery, then off with the lens...water and sand poured out of the camera. What a sick feeling. I knew it was toast.

Anyway...I set it in the South Texas summer sun for a few days...popped the battery back in...AMAZING...the display was there. Then took a soft brush and canned air to the mirror, shutter,and sensor area. Did a wet clean on the sensor. Put it all back together...It worked with no noticable problem in image quality. Only part of the camera that did not work correctly was the internal focus motor...so I'm stuck with AFS lenses only. My new Tamron 70-300 lens didn't fare as well...it worked, including the auto-focusing and VC...but all the glass was scummed over big time. Calls to several camera shops...they really didn't want to touch either one. Now the D90 is my new D7000 back-up body...The Tammy is a paper-weight.

Dec 06, 2011 at 02:06 PM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · They just keep working ...

That story and the photo reminds me of an exhibit in the Saigon War Remnants Museum, where they have a photo of a Nikon F with a bullet hole cleanly through it. It belonged to Taizo Ichinose, a Japanese PJ who was later killed by the Khmer Rouge while in Cambodia.

Dec 07, 2011 at 09:37 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password