Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

On Friday I decided it was finally time to upgrade from my faithful old 20D (which I've kept as backup). I was at a store to get a memory card, and in the display case next to the rack was a T3i kit with a price that I could just fit into my budget. Reports I've read say it has the same sensor as the 60D and 7D, so I figured what the heck, why not.

I used it to shoot some pics for work on Friday and Saturday.

I didn't like it. Although bigger than a bridge camera, it was just a tad too small for my long fingers, and too many functions had to be accessed via menu choices rather than buttons or control wheels. It just felt "odd."

So today (Monday) I took it back. I applied for and was approved for store credit, and I got a 7D with 28-135 IS lens on an 18-month-same-as-cash program.

So, less than four days with the T3i. What's the shortest you've owned a camera, and why?

Dec 06, 2011 at 08:23 AM
Langran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

2 days, 350D bought for the lens that came with it and as a potential backup. shot it once and hated it. Technically it was mine for another 7 days for the ebay listing but I'd decided it was going and didn't use it again.

Dec 06, 2011 at 08:55 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

Usually my research is pretty thorough when I am buying new photo gear... so, the shortest time I have owned a particular camera is at least many months. Not counting the DOA 1Ds3 that wouldn't switch on. I returned that the same day.

Dec 06, 2011 at 09:15 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

16 months for my 40D. I'd probably still have it if the 7D didn't come along, as 50D didn't interest me much.

Dec 06, 2011 at 09:19 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #5 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

A couple of months for my first 7D as I got the opportunity to trade for a 1D3. I was getting into sports at the time and the 1D3 was spot on for that.

Dec 06, 2011 at 09:24 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

Several months for 5D2 once I've played with D700 .

Dec 06, 2011 at 01:02 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

I owned a Hassleblad 500C/M for 1 day. Hated it!

Dec 06, 2011 at 01:24 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

D60, two weeks then I bought a 10D and was happy.

Dec 06, 2011 at 01:31 PM
Sgt93
• • •
p.1 #9 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

I tend to keep entire camera systems for about 4 or 5 months and sell. It's a disease. I hope to keep my Canon gear. I think I found the perfect carry size full frame DSLR (5D2) and am happy so far. AF could be better but I am learning to work with it.

Dec 06, 2011 at 01:32 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

Just over a year for KM Dynax 7D (with system). The camera broke just as KM has shed its camera division so it was sold for peanuts and the lenses had to go as well.

Dec 06, 2011 at 03:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

Pixel Perfect wrote:
16 months for my 40D. I'd probably still have it if the 7D didn't come along, as 50D didn't interest me much.

Same exact story but just under a year for the 40D.

Omar

Dec 06, 2011 at 03:19 PM
misternikko
• • •
p.1 #12 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

Had the 7d for 4months and sold it for the "same sensor" lighter weight T2i. Loved the the size/weight, hated the lack of QCD so sold it and bought a minty 5Dc about 9 months later. Currently a happy camper except I despise the screen on the 5Dc in comparison to the 7D and T2i. Also miss LV.

Dec 06, 2011 at 03:56 PM
24Peter
• • •
p.1 #13 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

I bought an XTi (400D I think) while I had my XT. Kept it for one day. Wasn't enough of an upgrade.

I had the XT for around two years and then got a 40D. I had my 40D for just over 3 yrs but bought a 5DII two years in so I didn't use the 40D much at all during the last year (was keeping it for backup). Got a T2i when I sold the 40D, kept that for about 6 months and then sold it when I bought a 60D. Now I have the 60D for over a year and the 5DII for almost 2 1/2 yrs.

Dec 06, 2011 at 04:19 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

Not much turnover for me i'm afraid.

Had a film SLR for about 12 years before lending it my girlfriend. She became my ex-girlfriend before giving it back...

Had a Canon A520 for about a year before getting frustrated enough with it that i bought a DSLR (a 350D). I still have the 350D and my sister in law has the A520 on "long term loan".

So 12 years for me i guess, as i do still technically own the A520.

Dec 06, 2011 at 04:21 PM
StuCollings
• •
p.1 #15 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

Bought a second hand EOS 1V film body because it came bundled with a 70-200mm f/2.8L that I was lusting after.

Found the f2.8L too heavy and bulky so traded the 1V body and the f/2.8L 2 days later for the price I paid for them plus a 70-200mm f/4.0L!

Dec 06, 2011 at 06:45 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

1d3...less than a month and it received an accidental burial at sea.

Dec 06, 2011 at 07:37 PM
Sgt93
• • •
p.1 #17 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

RobertLynn wrote:

Ouch!!!

Dec 06, 2011 at 07:53 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

RobertLynn wrote:

Sgt93 wrote:
Ouch!!!

+1!!!...I don't remember reading THAT story!

Omar

Dec 06, 2011 at 07:56 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

omarlyn wrote:
+1!!!...I don't remember reading THAT story!

Omar

It's a tragedy of a story.

Bought a second one. Went to beach. Came home without it.

Was going to claim it. Didn't wnt to raise my rates...even though multiple times, I have told people we pay for insurance, why not use it.

Was my own stupidity for trying to go so far out without a housing. Maybe the eBay seller will send me a new one. I wish I still had the card that was in it. Rest of beach photos were in it.

Dec 06, 2011 at 08:53 PM
Sass Quatch
• •
p.1 #20 · Shortest time you've owned a camera

A D90, which I despised because it was needlessly complicated & only had a half size sensor. It seems that a lot of people prefer complex toys to simple quick working tools. It would be great if Canon or Nikon would make one simple digital body without the menu on the back, the option of setting the aperture on the lens, and no features which duplicate what can be done on the computer. I kept the D90 around for a few months until I found out what to get, a 5D2.

Dec 06, 2011 at 09:08 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password