New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · shooting infrared with t2i

Justin Huffman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · shooting infrared with t2i

I did some searching and came up empty handed. Does anyone here on the Canon board know of the sensitivity of t2i using infrared filters? Older nikon bodies were very sensitive but nikon over the years has beefed up its' AA filter. thanks for any input.

justin

Dec 05, 2011 at 09:12 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · shooting infrared with t2i

These are good guys, they can answer your question

http://www.lifepixel.com/contact

Dec 05, 2011 at 09:18 PM
Justin Huffman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · shooting infrared with t2i

thanks lukeb, but Im not converting it, just using a filter over the lens.

Dec 05, 2011 at 09:51 PM
Allan Bruce
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · shooting infrared with t2i

Canon DSLRs have a filter over the sensor which blocks most IR light getting onto it (I think because it fools around with AF or metering or something). You can still use IR filters but you will have to use exposure times around seconds to minutes depending on the amount of light. I tried it once and was unimpressed with the results so never tried again

Dec 06, 2011 at 05:55 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · shooting infrared with t2i

You likely will have trouble with the T2i and infrared filter. I tried the same with my 5D MkII and the results are disappointing. This is caused by very strong hot mirror filters placed in front of the sensor. The hot mirror filter filters out IR light - the stronger, the longer you need to keep the shutter open to compensate for this effect. Unfortunatley while doing this (under long exposure times) you will get some regular light in which messes up your IR photo. You can see this when getting sort of greenish looking color effects.

You have only two options. Either replacing the hot mirror filter and converting your DSLR camera into a full IR camera without using an IR filter in front of your lens. This option is expensive since companies charge a lot for this conversion. A fully converted camera allows you to take IR photos of moving objects, too (doesn't work with the filter method described below due to its longer exposure time).

Other option is to go back and use an older DSLR camera which uses a less strong hot mirror filter. That's why I still keep my Rebel XT camera around - this one is very suitable to take IR photos just with a Hoya 72 IR filter with exposure times of a few seconds per photo. Only con is that you don't have LiveView to focus, so it is a bit of try&error to get the focus exactly right.

Dec 07, 2011 at 10:04 AM
Justin Huffman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · shooting infrared with t2i

Thanks for The Input; I've converted a dozen or so cameras myself over the years so I'm pretty familiar with the tech side; I use Edmund optics i custom cut for the AA Ffilter, ranging from 720nM up to iirc 940nM which is DARK! I'm just looking for someone who has ACTUALLY tried on a t2i. After all the replies i think I have my answer.

Dec 07, 2011 at 10:58 AM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · shooting infrared with t2i

I have tried using a R72 filter on my 550D, the results are a bit disappointing for colour IR photos, but works ok for B&W IR photos.

Dec 07, 2011 at 12:21 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · shooting infrared with t2i

Exposure times are too long, as others have said. Foliage even on a still day moves too much, and also other hues get in the photo due to the long exposures, only works in B&W and I would not call it passable unless you are going after blurry trees and such.

Dec 07, 2011 at 12:41 PM
Justin Huffman
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · shooting infrared with t2i

EOS20 and timpdx -- precisely what i was after; hands on experience. thanks guys

Dec 08, 2011 at 05:13 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.