Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Canon E-1 handgrip discontinued?

veroman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon E-1 handgrip discontinued?

That's what it says on the B&H web site. Can anyone understand why this fairly important and useful accessory would be discontinued without notice of a replacement version? Doesn't make sense to me.

- Steve

Dec 05, 2011 at 04:28 PM
eos-m42guy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon E-1 handgrip discontinued?

Steve -- Amazon still lists it from a third party.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-2344A001-Hand-Strap-Rebel/dp/B0000C4G79/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323102802&sr=8-1

... Don

Dec 05, 2011 at 04:44 PM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon E-1 handgrip discontinued?

I would think that Ebay still has places that have them..

Dec 05, 2011 at 04:45 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon E-1 handgrip discontinued?

veroman wrote:
...Can anyone understand why this fairly important and useful accessory would be discontinued without notice of a replacement version? Doesn't make sense to me.

They probably don't sell enough of them to be worth their while. The majority of DSLR users I see use neck straps.

Dec 05, 2011 at 07:09 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon E-1 handgrip discontinued?

maybe they'll come out with one that lets you quickly remove the grip from non-1D bodies and re-attache it. that's the only improvement I'd like to see.

Dec 05, 2011 at 07:15 PM
eos-m42guy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon E-1 handgrip discontinued?

How about the E2?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/744403-REG/Canon_4991B001_Hand_Strap_E2_for.html

Is this something new? I've never noticed it before on B&H's website.

... Don

Dec 05, 2011 at 08:22 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon E-1 handgrip discontinued?

eos-m42guy wrote:
How about the E2?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/744403-REG/Canon_4991B001_Hand_Strap_E2_for.html
Is this something new? I've never noticed it before on B&H's website.
... Don

Never heard of it. Never saw one until I read your post. The product spec is pretty confusing, though. The B&H descriptor says it's for the 60D, but the product overview says it fits ALL of the body styles, from the 1-Series to the 5D, 60D, etc. The specs also say that it attaches via the camera's strap lugs, but the pictures show a device on one end for attaching it to the tripod socket. Weird ...

- Steve

Dec 05, 2011 at 09:12 PM
LDRider
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon E-1 handgrip discontinued?

It's a very handy item.
Pardon the pun.

JP

Dec 05, 2011 at 09:39 PM
eos-m42guy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon E-1 handgrip discontinued?

veroman wrote:
Never heard of it. Never saw one until I read your post. The product spec is pretty confusing, though. The B&H descriptor says it's for the 60D, but the product overview says it fits ALL of the body styles, from the 1-Series to the 5D, 60D, etc. The specs also say that it attaches via the camera's strap lugs, but the pictures show a device on one end for attaching it to the tripod socket. Weird ...

- Steve

Yeah, it is confusing. Don't know why they mention 60D other than to say it will work on non-pro bodies. Looks, to me, like the thumb wheel attaches to the tripod socket and the strap at the other end attaches to the strap lug.

... Don

Dec 05, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JR Magat
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon E-1 handgrip discontinued?

The Canon E-2 will fit all body styles... I know because I was researching hand straps for myself

From what I gathered, Camdapter makes one that a lot of people like (it's more expensive though bc you need to buy an adapter as well):

http://www.camdapter.com/handstrap/prostrap.html

I ended up buying a leather one from Ebay that is from Korea. Look up "Herringbone hand strap"

Dec 05, 2011 at 10:24 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon E-1 handgrip discontinued?

JR Magat wrote:
.... I ended up buying a leather one from Ebay that is from Korea. Look up "Herringbone hand strap"

I found one online from Samys Camera and ordered it. Then I saw one listed here in the B&S forums. Given that Canon no longer makes them, maybe I should own two?
- Steve

Dec 06, 2011 at 01:04 AM
Depp
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon E-1 handgrip discontinued?

JR Magat wrote:
I ended up buying a leather one from Ebay that is from Korea. Look up "Herringbone hand strap"

I switched from the E-1 to the Herringbone last year for one of my 1Ds2 bodies.A bit stiff at first and initially didn't like them compared to the E-1.But after a couple of months of use once the leather is "broken in",they are fairly comfortable.Since then I've bought a few more...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170515353373?ssPageName=STRK&afsrc=1

Dec 06, 2011 at 01:39 AM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon E-1 handgrip discontinued?

I used E1 on all my 1D bodies. I also tried E2 but not too impressed... looks and feels cheap. E2 is not that comfortable... and E2 is just outright inconvenient because with that circular screw on the bottom, you can't just set it down anywhere up right because it will tip over. just my amateur opinion.

Andy

Dec 06, 2011 at 08:06 AM
remoras
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon E-1 handgrip discontinued?

I use the E2 on all my cameras.
Don't like straps.

Not sure about the E1 but the E2 allows you to use a sunsniper or tripod

Dec 06, 2011 at 11:25 AM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon E-1 handgrip discontinued?

I like the E-1 for 1 Series bodies.

Canon still has it listed on their website as available for order.

Dec 06, 2011 at 05:05 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon E-1 handgrip discontinued?

How does the E2 let you use a tripod? It looks like it screws into your tripod mount.

That's my favorite feature of the E1 - no tripod mount. I have a quick release bracket permanently mounted to mine. It looks like you could just remove the tripod mount on the E2 and thread it through the strap mount on the bottom of a 1d or XXD with grip, but why pay for a tripod mount you don't need?

Hm.

Dec 06, 2011 at 06:27 PM
mwtphoto

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon E-1 handgrip discontinued?

i bought an copy cat Canon E-1 and it was a mistake. The metal tab that attaches the neckstrap to the handstrap broke and sent my 7D to the ground. The GB-76 hood for the contax 50/1.4 broke so saving 25 bucks or so cost me $130.

Dec 12, 2011 at 07:00 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password