Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Image Stabilization inop?

no_surrender
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Image Stabilization inop?

Received the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II yesterday, but I can't seem to get IS to work. I don't hear it running and it doesn't seem to be functioning at all to the best of my knowledge. Anyone have some test settings I can use in manual to check? I don't get it....the IS just doesn't seem to be working.

Dec 04, 2011 at 03:41 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Image Stabilization inop?

You should definitely be able to hear it indoors if there is no other noise. The visual effect in the viewfinder should be obvious too. I don't think any cameras have a setting to disable IS, but have you tried another body on the off chance it is a camera issue?

EBH

Dec 04, 2011 at 06:40 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Image Stabilization inop?

One way is to turn the is off and shoot something at a slowish shutter speed then turn the IS on and shoot the same subject. You should see a difference .
Also just view thru the VF . You should be able to see the IS engage/disengage when you press the shutter button and then leave for a few seconds.
If you have access to a live view body then just holding it with live view on will show you the difference.

If Its still not functioning then yes try another body as it may well be possible a problem in the communication stops the is from starting.

Dec 04, 2011 at 08:47 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Image Stabilization inop?

Zoom right in on something close at maximum focal length to amplify all of your wobbles. Hold it one-handed if necessary to make it wobble Then half press the shutter and the IS benefit should be very obvious in the viewfinder.

Of course, the camera must be on for IS to work. Make sure your camera has a well charged battery, just in case.

Make sure it is switched on (the switch is on the lens) and make sure it is set to mode 1 or 2 and that none of the switches are half-way. Flick the switches to and from the other settings to make sure they are working properly.

The IS will stop soon after you release the shutter button - like within a couple of seconds or so. (Too quick for my liking but you cannot change it even with the timing tweaks on a 1-series camera).

IS can be quiet or noisy. Unless you have used it before you may not hear it until you are tuned in to what it sounds like, especially if you are in a noisy area. Sometimes there is click at start up, and sometimes not. Varies a bit from lens to lens.

Try same lens on another camera if possible, and also try another IS lens on your camera if possible. Both combinations should work.

Without IS the chances are that at 200mm a shutter speed of 1/40 seconds will give a blurry shot hand-held, but with IS it should be sharp. Again, focus on something close to make it obvious.

- Alan

Dec 06, 2011 at 05:03 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Image Stabilization inop?

I can tell you this, if you're comparing version one to version two, the is is MUCH more quiet on the newer one, over the older one.

In a room with any ambient noise, I can't hear it. I had to put my ear to the lens to know I'm in like flynn.

Dec 06, 2011 at 06:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #6 · Image Stabilization inop?

Thanks everyone for the tips. Unfortunately, I am out of town and didn't bring my camera with me to perform any of these tests. Before I left though I did try some of the things that were mentioned here. I did notice some of the images were sharper at 200mm at slow shutter speeds with IS onthan without, but not once did I hear any distinguishable noise that might suggest the image stabilization was working. I look forward to running some tests when I get back home. On the bright side, I shot a Children's Christmas party before leaving town and was pretty impressed with the IQ. The entire function was shot using a tripod, but I must say the IQ was sharp enough to make me question the IQ of my other lenses, especially my 2 "L" lenses.

Dec 07, 2011 at 02:14 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #7 · Image Stabilization inop?

So it appears I have a relatively noiseless IS motor in this lens. It makes less noise when handheld with both hands than single handed. Maybe I was expecting more from the IS at slow shutter speeds, I don't know. From what I've seen thus far I can't really say that I'm overly impressed. I'm really going to have to keep comparing shots with and shots without IS to be convinced that it was worth the extra $$$. I do know it's working, so at least I've ruled that out.

Dec 09, 2011 at 11:13 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Image Stabilization inop?

no_surrender wrote:
Maybe I was expecting more from the IS at slow shutter speeds, I don't know. From what I've seen thus far I can't really say that I'm overly impressed. I'm really going to have to keep comparing shots with and shots without IS to be convinced that it was worth the extra $$$. I do know it's working, so at least I've ruled that out.

Ok I'm a tad surprised. The system in the mk2 should be good for 4 stops of assistance , obviously only on static targets. How slow are you trying to go? How close are you looking at the result ? If you trying to look at the sharpness at high magnification on a large screen you may be seeing more blurr than is really there.

There are a couple things to bear in mind also. How far away is the target? The closer the target the more pronounced any movement will be, so the is will have less effect. Also how jittery are you being? Let's face it if movement is too pronounced the is system won't be able to compensate enough.

All that said I think you should be able to get some good results. I've never used a mk2 IS but I have used is lenses and some are better than others. My old 70-300 is was ok and my 100-400 is passable (very old system )
The best I've used was on a Tamron 70-300 VC . I tried it in a store (nikon mount) and got very sharp shots on a target about 12ft away at 1/20th ( on a d300 crop body) and passable ones at 1/10th .

Also what mode is the is system in? If you in mode 2 then it will think your panning and only compensate for 1 axis. Make sure your in mode 1

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:03 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #9 · Image Stabilization inop?

Ian - I'm probably just being a tad too judgmental here. I was hand-holding it with one had to produce a more jittery shot because with two hands I couldn't hear the IS motor. I experimented with mode 1 and mode 2. Average SS was about 1/20th and I was really only judging by the back of the camera using the LCD screen.

I did some test shots last night while experimenting at a theater (prepping for dance recital) and looked at the results when I got home on my computer. The difference was noticeable, but again not what I was expecting.

Just tried some portrait shots outside with a little sun so I'm about to find out what the real deal is. Unfortunately, I didn't attempt any shots without using IS so I don't have anything to compare to. Basically, if anything was slower than about 1/125 and still ended up sharp I'll be happy.

Dec 10, 2011 at 01:01 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #10 · Image Stabilization inop?

Not the best shots in the world, but #3 is at 200mm, 1/60 and looks presentable. Maybe not tack sharp, but I'm sure that was my fault somehow. I believe if I had not used IS for that shot it would have been less sharp.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1067720

Dec 10, 2011 at 02:13 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password