Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Question On Use of Filters?

tarheel
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question On Use of Filters?

I have enjoyed photography for forty years and I have an understanding of f-stops, shutter speeds, and ISO/noise. I have never seriously shot "Landscape" photography and I have little knowledge of filters. What's a good reference to read to grasp an elementary level of knowledge on this subject?
Books or websites would be both be considered.
I shoot with the Nikon system and I have the 14-24 f 2.8 lens and I am well aware of the problem of using filters with this specific lens - and a costly solution (or partial solution) via the Lee SW150 holder specifically designed for this lens. I am contemplating a new wide angle lens that is more "filter friendly". I have a heavy duty Gitzo tripod w/Markins M20 ball head. I don't own a single filter other than the Nikon 77mm Polarizer.
This question might be too broad for a good answer - but, if you are a hobby/amateur shooting primarily landscape photography how many filters would be in a useful kit?
Thx,
Bill

Dec 02, 2011 at 02:47 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question On Use of Filters?

Two.
Graduated neutral density and polarizer.

You don't necessarily need a wide angle for landscapes. Looking at your profile you shoot a D300? And you have fine lenses. I never filter when using my 14-24 and it doesn't seem to need it, but do with other lenses. I'd focus on that. Get a 77mm GND, buy a 16-35mm, or a 10-24mm, 12-24mm for when you want to filter wider. Or don't bother.

Dec 02, 2011 at 03:44 PM
Taylor Reed

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question On Use of Filters?

I exclusively shoot landscape and truthfully my polarizer is the only filter that I could not live without. The 14-24 is considered one of the finest landscape lenses available, if I owned it I would rather get a polarizer that will work with it than buy another lens for use with filters.

Dec 02, 2011 at 03:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question On Use of Filters?

I use filters less and less, instead relying on blending for my landscapes. For times with truly harsh light such as in snow and desert sand shots, a circular polarizer is helpful.

A CPL can also be useful in controlling water (and window, metal, etc.) reflections. I'm not saying to use it to eliminate those reflections, but to control what highlights you want in your shot.

I have seen photos where CPLs / polarized light were used to eliminate all specular highlights which lead to dead looking shots.

Dec 02, 2011 at 04:08 PM
beshannon
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question On Use of Filters?

You may not want to buy their filters but their blog talks about this kind of photography

http://singhray.blogspot.com/

Dec 02, 2011 at 05:57 PM
TheWengler
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question On Use of Filters?

I use a CPL and 4 GND filters. I'm going to add a couple solid ND filters to the mix as well.

http://singhray.blogspot.com/2011/09/singh-rays-new-instructional-video.html

Dec 03, 2011 at 12:43 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password