New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              7       8       end

Archive 2011 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

Seriously, if you have used the D3x you know the high ISO is not so great. I expect the 1D-X to be perhaps better at high ISO, but not at low ISO. The D3s is the 12MP camera with the great high ISO sensor. Even so, it is not miraculous.

EBH

Dec 02, 2011 at 03:13 PM
Fred Relaix
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

Can somebody post final productions images of the 1DX? Or link to actual side by side comparisons with 5D2, D3s or D3X? This would help me to understand what has been said so far in this thread.

Dec 03, 2011 at 02:30 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

It wouldn't make any sense for Canon to release a 18Mp FF 5DIII, because it would leave the market for high-resolution FF cameras entirely to the competition. For some, ISO 50K + seems all-important, for others maximum resolution is. Such people shoot landscapes, and there are a good many of us out there with 5DII/1DsIII. All other things being equal, no amount of high ISO is going to get me to fork out more money for less resolution than my present camera. My opinion is that Canon are merging 3 cameras (5DII, 1DIV, IDsIII) into 2, a ID-X for sports, birding, weddings, etc... and 5DIII (or another name) with very high resolution, which we know they can handle well, in reference to their excellent 18Mp APS-C sensor.

Dec 03, 2011 at 02:51 AM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

I used to follow the Nikon Rumors sites closely a few years ago when I shot Nikon. I'd always get excited, and nothing would come of it.

Dec 03, 2011 at 02:58 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

cineski wrote:
Exactly (and sadly). The files I've seen from a Nikon D3x at 102,400 are just draw dropping (let alone what Nikon will be coming out with next). It's kinda sad to hear the initial reports that the 1Dx may suffer banding problems at 51200. I know, I know, who in their right mind needs ISO 102,400. Well, I do. I'm sick of shooting primes wide open in dark areas. What if I want to shoot avail light in a dark location and actually stop down for some depth of field?

Surely you mean the D3s, not D3x. The D3x can't do anything like this unless you underexpose ISO 6400 by 4 stops and PP to get exposure correct.

Worry about the 1D X IQ when it's shipping.

Dec 03, 2011 at 04:55 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

skibum5 wrote:
Wow, so you'd be fine with the same sluggish fps

I didn't buy my 5D for fps and I wouldn't buy a 5D Mark III for fps. It is rather near the bottom on the feature set I would consider for a 5D III.

Dec 03, 2011 at 05:36 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

skibum5 wrote:
"of ANY kind" includes 5D3 though then

Yes, it does. But I would guess "any kind" means MF.

Dec 03, 2011 at 07:41 AM
big country
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

i can't believe anyone takes what this site reports serious.

the guy has no credibility. i know i know, it's a rumors site for fun! but he sure does get a lot of people believing in it and a lot of traffic to his site over it.

Dec 03, 2011 at 08:15 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

skibum5 wrote:
Wow, so you'd be fine with the same sluggish fps and mirror/trigger response and the old 7D AF which arguably does slightly worse for center point still shots at times and 3 less MP?

sluggish? Yes, I would be fine with 4FPS. I do not shoot sports, neither Bif.
And yes, I think I would be happy with 7Ds AF, too. Of course I would not like to loose my 5D MK IIs center AF point.
And yes again. 12 MP do not give me enough resolution. That is, why I was never able to switch to Nikon. They just do not offer, what I need. 3DXs 24 MP is more then that in resolution - but one can buy 2 bodys (5D MK II) and all lenses I need at the same price of a 3DX (body only with 2 generations back ISO capabilities) here in germany.
I am no studio photographer at all. And I use flashes only when there s NO other chance to get a pic.

5D MK IIs 21 MP gives me more, than I need. 18MP looks well balanced to me and would support 100% of MY needs in resolution. I really expect high ISO 2-3 stops better (than 5D MK IIs) of the 1D X. If that would be given to me in a 5D MK II follow up ... great!
We will see soon, if 1D X fullfills my expectation.

I hate to say it but ANYTHING Nikon did for the D800 would just crush that. It's not like the sensor in it will be like 3-4 stops better or something, maybe 1 stop. And DR remains to be seen, there are some hints the DR might still not even hit the current Sony sensor levels.

I hate to say it but I do not see a D800 yet. D700 is a great camera but does not support my needs in resolution. And it does not have better ISO capabilities than my 5D MK. Even if it should: Itīs the same generation body at near by half the resolution.

It's not like we are talking a year later as with many xxD upgrades but FOUR years later and it might be another 4 using it after that.

Honestly I would just stick with my 5D2 and maybe get a 70D for the improved video (and might truly start looking D800 in a serious way for first time ever).

What is serious in looking for an year old (and stil) rumor?

Edited on Dec 03, 2011 at 08:53 AM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2011 at 08:27 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

big country wrote:

the guy has no credibility. i know i know, it's a rumors site for fun! but he sure does get a lot of people believing in it and a lot of traffic to his site over it.

:-)
This side page of northlight images is a "rumor" page for pleasure, yes.
And I like Keith as a photographer, too.
He did not say anything about a 5D MK III yet as far as I see. He is just collecting:

"29th (November) We're told (thanks) that the 5D2 replacement will be aimed at 'cleaning up' in the DSLR video market, complementing the video specific 1 series mentioned at the recent Hollywood announcement. It was also suggested that it would not be any more than 18MP, and that any higher MP camera was 'quite some time off'."

Keith himself added:
"With no details on specs, I'm assuming that any 5D3 isn't coming in the next few months."

Instead he already mentioned again (like month) ago, that he is not expecting a 5D MK III (or named else) before photokina 2012.

And by the way: He was absolutly right about 5D MK II three years ago. As far I remember he introduced the real specs already 3 weeks before Canon announced it.

Dec 03, 2011 at 08:52 AM
dld542004
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

Much ado about NOTHING!

Dec 03, 2011 at 09:22 AM
Fred Relaix
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

Ralph Conway wrote:
I hate to say it but I do not see a D800 yet. D700 is a great camera but does not support my needs in resolution. And it does not have better ISO capabilities than my 5D MK. Even if it should: Itīs the same generation body at near by half the resolution.

I have been working with files from both 5D2 and D700, and I can certify you that when printed at the same size (i.e. large wedding albums), you would not be able to say whether a 3200 iso picture has been made with the 5D2 or the D700. IMHO they are indeed same generation bodies and it really shows! Now if you need large prints, of course the 5D2 will give you more resolution.

Dec 03, 2011 at 09:58 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

Just a few weeks from now EOSfun is going to Las Vegas 10 january 2012 ;-)

Dec 03, 2011 at 10:06 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

Fred Relaix wrote:
I have been working with files from both 5D2 and D700, and I can certify you that when printed at the same size (i.e. large wedding albums), you would not be able to say whether a 3200 iso picture has been made with the 5D2 or the D700. IMHO they are indeed same generation bodies and it really shows! Now if you need large prints, of course the 5D2 will give you more resolution.

I shot the same wedding with both and have been working with both files, too. And didnīt I mention the same? - I said. "... it does not have better ISO capabilities than my 5D ..."

I would have expected that because of itīs same generation based on "near half resolution".

Dec 03, 2011 at 10:07 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

eosfun wrote:
Just a few weeks from now EOSfun is going to Las Vegas 10 january 2012 ;-)

... gambling?

Dec 03, 2011 at 10:11 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

You bet! And having EOSfun

Dec 03, 2011 at 10:13 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

No. I do not bet. I am not a gambler. My dad was.

So they will introduce the 5D X! Fine.

Dec 03, 2011 at 10:16 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

So they will introduce the 5D X! Fine.That's the proof that you gamble! You must be a son of your father Have EOSfun!

Dec 03, 2011 at 10:24 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

Ralph Conway wrote:
sluggish? Yes, I would be fine with 4FPS. I do not shoot sports, neither Bif.
And yes, I think I would be happy with 7Ds AF, too. Of course I would not like to loose my 5D MK IIs center AF point.
And yes again. 12 MP do not give me enough resolution. That is, why I was never able to switch to Nikon. They just do not offer, what I need. 3DXs 24 MP is more then that in resolution - but one can buy 2 bodys (5D MK II) and all lenses I need at the same price
...Show more

3 stops better SNR from 1DX than from 5D2 is something far more mythical than the D800
I'd love your wishes to come true, but trust me, it is NOT going to happen. Honestly you can forget 2 stops better as well.

Well the 5D3 doesn't exist yet either so why can't I then bring in the rumored D800?

A 5D2 with 7D AF swapped in and 18MP and 2/3 stop better and everything else the same would be incredibly lame after four years IMO and I think it might flop (one can get the speed and no line skipped video in a 7D2 or jsut the video in a 70D and with the way Canon pricing has been going maybe it costs $3000 and you can sell a 5D2 for $1600 so you need to spend $1400 to get that and you will then have that for the next four years. lame. I honestly bet the D800 specs would crush that.).

If it had your 3 stops better that would be something although still quite a shame to be stuck at 3.9fps for only 18MP, but all the same yeah 3 stops better SNR middle gray alone might be enough to get my attention, but believe me the 1DX just is not going to be 3 stops better SNR middle gray than the 5D2. Heck even Canon marketing is only saying 2!! And even they have already admitted that some deal of that is simply due to internal jpg engine NR improvements! they need some radically different technology, radically different and nothing at all of the kind has been mentioned for the 1DX and even no matter what you do we are reaching limits.

if we are very lucky it could conceivably have 3 stops better usable DR range if they fix up read noise and banding which dirties up shadows but there are some early worrisome signs that canon won't match the sony sensor deep shadow cleanliness, 3 stops better DR alone would certainly be something, but I'm a bit dubious about even this

as for d700, if all you do is tripod work yeah i'd take the 5D2 any day over a D700 (and even moreso if you do video work )

Edited on Dec 04, 2011 at 02:42 PM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2011 at 10:51 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · New 5D Mark 3 Rumors

big country wrote:

NL has gotten so much lately but in the past he had lots of good stuff, road maps that did largely come to pass a few years later, etc. 5D2 specs weeks early, etc. recently his good sources seem to have gone away though

Dec 03, 2011 at 10:54 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.