Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       6       end
  

Archive 2011 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?...
  
 
ontime
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach


molson wrote:
+3

+4

Disingenuous, doesn't belong on this forum, and what wickerprints said above.



Dec 07, 2011 at 02:21 AM
BrianO
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach


BrianO wrote:
...He didn't ask for a replacement; he didn't deserve a replacement; he didn't earn a replacement.

IT WAS A GIFT.


wickerprints wrote:
That's my point. Then why did he get one?


Luck of the draw? The fact that someone at B&H was made aware of the video? What difference does it make? No one deserves gifts; they are freely given. If they're earned, then they're not gifts; they're wages.

wickerprints wrote:
...Why shouldn't someone else who goes through a similar accident get one?


Someone who goes through something similar may get one at some point. I think what you're really saying is "Why doesn't everyone who goes through a similar accident get one?" Well, because it wouldn't be feasible. Life's not fair or equal, but that doesn't change the fact of what happened in this instance.

wickerprints wrote:
...Are you always happy for someone who receives a gift they not only do not deserve, but in fact caused the loss they experienced in the first place?


I do acknowledge the generosity of the benefactor. I'm also happy when someone survives an act of ignorance (which is not the same as stupidity) to learn from it.

The reason I'm happy to see someone -- anyone -- receive a gift they don't deserve is because I have received a gift I don't deserve. We're just a few weeks away from celebrating the birth of that Gift.



Dec 07, 2011 at 02:48 AM
PKuglin
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach


That's my point. Then why did he get one? Why shouldn't someone else who goes through a similar accident get one? Are you always happy for someone who receives a gift they not only do not deserve, but in fact caused the loss they experienced in the first place?

Random act of kindness, that's why. Why did so-in-so get randomly shot by a mugger verses someone else passing by 30 seconds earlier? Can't people just be happy it happened. Life isn't always fair and many times it is not.

People are just half full or half empty types. Some always look for the bad and some always look for the good You find what you want to find.




Dec 07, 2011 at 02:51 AM
M Vers
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach


BrianO wrote:
In case anyone thinks Kurtis Hough is not a real person, he's an artist based in Woodburn, Oregon.


I believe he is a real person, I just quoted his name because its what I read in the thread and I don't know who he is.



Dec 07, 2011 at 03:00 AM
ontime
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #5 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach


PKuglin wrote:
Random act of kindness, that's why. Why did so-in-so get randomly shot by a mugger verses someone else passing by 30 seconds earlier? Can't people just be happy it happened. Life isn't always fair and many times it is not.

People are just half full or half empty types. Some always look for the bad and some always look for the good You find what you want to find.


And some don't look too hard at all, especially when they find what they want to find.

"Random act of kindness"? The concept itself is likely being exploited here for profit. Unfortunately, such exploitation means there's nothing "random" going on, and, beyond that, the "kindness" part becomes questionable.

Apparently "random acts of kindness" exist in a vacuum - the ulterior motives of the benefactor are meaningless to some people.

True altruism doesn't exist. And on the altruism scale, this is far from some "random act of kindness," IMHO. I could be wrong about the ulterior motives, though.



Dec 07, 2011 at 10:23 PM
michael49
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #6 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach


Lars Johnsson wrote:
+1


What a Scrooge.



Dec 08, 2011 at 12:27 AM
michael49
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #7 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach


PKuglin wrote:
...
People are just half full or half empty types. Some always look for the bad and some always look for the good You find what you want to find.



Isn't that the truth.



Dec 08, 2011 at 12:32 AM
HVACman
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #8 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach


Jeez, those of you whining about the good fortune of one... jealous much.... ?


Dec 11, 2011 at 11:30 PM
stanj
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #9 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach


BrianO wrote:
There it is again.

He didn't ask for a replacement; he didn't deserve a replacement; he didn't earn a replacement.

IT WAS A GIFT.

wickerprints wrote:
That's my point. Then why did he get one? Why shouldn't someone else who goes through a similar accident get one? Are you always happy for someone who receives a gift they not only do not deserve, but in fact caused the loss they experienced in the first place?


Why would B&H have to justify this, or why would people even consider asking for the same gesture? Sometimes, car companies buy back a car even though it's not a lemon. Sporting goods companies have been known for replacing lost or stolen items of people who were neither famous or on their payroll. And so on.

In the days of Twitter, people post a lot of shit and sometimes stupidity gets rewarded. Usually when companies give away replacement stuff they do it for PR, but it's not like they asked some moron to drown the camera and then make a post about it. You can see it almost every day, some useless news clip about a burglary and someone's Sony TV getting stolen and out comes Sony giving them a new TV, which gets prominently mentioned.

Stop being jealous people.



Dec 11, 2011 at 11:43 PM
kakomu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #10 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach


stanj wrote:
Why would B&H have to justify this, or why would people even consider asking for the same gesture?


If B&H had quietly replaced the product (despite the actions leading to the accident being considered ignorant and/or stupid by most on here), most people wouldn't care. Even if the person who had their camera replaced came on to the board to discuss the replacement in a thread, I bet most people would say "awesome" or something to that effect.

However, the problem is that a lot of people on here are viewing this "act of kindness" as quasi-advertising (or spam). It doesn't help that this thread was started by the B&H rep and essentially is just a bunch of B&H love. In which case, it does help to ask for some justification for a replacement. If B&H is going to hold up this story of replacing an expensive camera that was broken (doing something stupid) as a testament to B&H's quality, attitude or whatever, people are going to wonder if they too can get their equipment replaced after doing something stupid.

Essentially, people are left to wonder: Is B&H only replacing equipment when it pays off as (relatively cheap) advertising? If a replacement for my broken gear has no marketing payoff, am I SoL? To me, this is the crux of the issue.



Dec 12, 2011 at 07:11 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



henryp
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #11 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach


In the eoshd forum I said this:
Of course we did it for the advertising/publicity. We could have taken the same money and bought more pages in the back of PopPhoto or more air time on WCBS-AM, but in our opinion this was a far more useful way to spend that money. We did a guy who had a loss a favor and we got some PR for doing it. Weíre not a charity and we didnít do this for entirely altruistic reasons. But Iím glad we did it, glad the guyís got a new camera and glad itís generated the conversation it has.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video



Dec 12, 2011 at 07:29 PM
JakobT
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #12 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach


Social marketing can be dangerous in inexperienced hands.

This was a poorly executed attempt at viral marketing, which hurt your brand in some areas of your customer base.

You guys should invest in someone with social marketing experience or seek advice from a consultant, if you plan to take another stab at it in the future that is.



Dec 12, 2011 at 09:37 PM
wickerprints
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #13 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach


Well, good on B&H for rewarding someone's extreme stupidity, I suppose. I'm not jealous, but I am disappointed.

While I'm not going to say I'm never going to shop at B&H again--that would strike me as unnecessarily retaliatory--I do think this action on B&H's part was poorly conceived and lacking in class. And as a consumer, I can't help but keep this event in mind when making future decisions regarding whether to choose Adorama or B&H. It does not present your company in a positive light because it does make you look like you're playing favorites and rewarding idiotic and careless behavior for marketing purposes, not unlike those early viral videos where people would be first in line to buy an XBox or iPhone or Wii, and then take a sledgehammer to it in front of everyone else in line.



Dec 13, 2011 at 12:00 AM
chez
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #14 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach


henryp wrote:
In the eoshd forum I said this:
Of course we did it for the advertising/publicity. We could have taken the same money and bought more pages in the back of PopPhoto or more air time on WCBS-AM, but in our opinion this was a far more useful way to spend that money. We did a guy who had a loss a favor and we got some PR for doing it. Weíre not a charity and we didnít do this for entirely altruistic reasons. But Iím glad we did it, glad the guyís got a new camera and glad itís generated the

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video
...Show more

Henry, that is good on you. The issue I see is YOU coming onto this board and promoting this "act of kindness". You already have special privileges on this board as your website leads to a commercial site, but I feel you have over stepped the bounds by posting something you claim B&H did for advertising. To me, that is out of line.


Dec 13, 2011 at 01:31 AM
gocolts
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #15 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach


henryp wrote:
In the eoshd forum I said this:
Of course we did it for the advertising/publicity. We could have taken the same money and bought more pages in the back of PopPhoto or more air time on WCBS-AM, but in our opinion this was a far more useful way to spend that money. We did a guy who had a loss a favor and we got some PR for doing it. Weíre not a charity and we didnít do this for entirely altruistic reasons. But Iím glad we did it, glad the guyís got a new camera and glad itís generated the

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video
...Show more

While it has generated conversation, I don't see the end result being a net positive for B & H, maybe a draw at best, which I can't see being worth the cost of a 5DMKII. But that's up to you to decide.

On that same note, I price shopped a new tripod today for my baby daughter to give me for Christmas (she has good taste! ), with equal prices on Amazon.com and B & H. And because I didn't agree with this recent advertising method from B & H, I bought the tripod from Amazon.

When you start randomly awarding replacement products to those that are able to make their failures go viral on the internet, for your own personal benefit, I hope you're ready to accept both sides of the arguement which will come. You have every right to spend your money and take care of customers however you see fit, and I respect that. I just hope you can also respect the rights of those on here to disagree with you on a public forum, especially as you've chosen to put yourself out there as the B & H representative.




Dec 13, 2011 at 03:05 AM
Richard Nye
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #16 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach


I think this goes under the category of, "no good deed goes unpunished".


Dec 13, 2011 at 03:19 AM
chrisdee
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #17 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach


This video/story combo was a total disappointment. Many times the fail or stupidity caught on camera is worth watching because it involves a level of pain/shame for the unwilling actors, with the viewer getting a sense of satisfaction for the protagonist's "learning the hard way" not to behave or try that again.

Unfortunately in this case, it started with a pretty unremarkable video of someone's fail followed by him receiving full compensation for his "work".

Probably it is the last part which actually made the story go viral, as the most spectacular aspect of the story is someone spending a fair amount of money on such an un-spectacular event.



Dec 13, 2011 at 03:54 AM
chrisdee
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #18 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach


Richard Nye wrote:
I think this goes under the category of, "no good deed goes unpunished".


I don't think there are any good deeds involved. More like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqncCjxGqGw



Dec 13, 2011 at 04:21 AM
Sven Jeppesen
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #19 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach


Richard Nye wrote:
I think this goes under the category of, "no good deed goes unpunished".


Where is the "good deed" Henry have already said it was for advertising & publicity.

Is it a good deed to advertise in a FM forum where you are not allowed to do that



Dec 13, 2011 at 08:10 AM
Richard Nye
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #20 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach


I'm sure the guy that got the 5DII is pretty happy about it. All the rest of us are throwing darts at it.


Dec 13, 2011 at 02:02 PM
1       2       3       4      
5
       6       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       6       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password