New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Trading lenses

UsseryG
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trading lenses

Quick question. I am getting more and more into portrait photography and finding out I love it! I have a Nikon 24-120 F4, which I use mostly for event stuff. Would it be a good trade to trade the 24-120 for say a 28-70 f2.8? Or even a Sigma 85 1.4? Or should I stick with my beauty of an event lens.

Gary

Nov 30, 2011 at 09:35 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trading lenses

I always say that if a lens is doing great with what you are currently doing, then you keep it. You certainly can do portrats with your current lens. If you want a real portrait lens and great bokeh, then look to add the 105 F2DC or the 135 F2DC.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:36 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trading lenses

Your profile says you have a 105 f/2.8 VR which many people believe is an excellent portrait lens. With a DX camera you might find that a bit long, though folks shoot portraits with just about any lens. I have the 28-70 f/2.8 AF-s and it is a fine lens. It would work for portraits but since you love the 24-120 I'd suggest you stick with that. You'd likely find the 85mm focal length appealing for portraiture as well and from everything I've read I'm sure the Sigma would perform well. I have a couple of 85mm lenses on an FX camera and love it. Despite the fact these are faster lenses, the truth is most photographers will stop down simply because the focal plane is so narrow at f/1.4, meaning only part of the face is in focus. I can work with that but not everyone likes that kind of shot. Here's an image taken with an 85 f/1.4 AI-s wide open in low light.

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-crKV5LgUa20/TsR8qKVhW9I/AAAAAAAAKx0/PNLGbJmyGTw/s1000/85.1.4.GeorgeIronSprings01.jpg

Eyes are sharp... ears aren't. Stopping down would have been great but the ISO of this image was 4500. I didn't have much maneuvering room.

Dec 01, 2011 at 02:41 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.