New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Secondary speedlite

jwheel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Secondary speedlite

Best option for a secondary speedlite, considering I don't really want to spend 450 bucks on a 580 exII? I already have 1 580 exII.

430 EXII? I plan on triggering with the Photix Strato IIs, until I figure out a higher end / more permanent trigger system that I want to spend money on.

Nov 30, 2011 at 07:01 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Secondary speedlite

The 430exII will work fine with the 580exII but you'll have a shorter max. range vs. a pair of 580exII. The extra .8 stop of power the 580exII offers helps when using modifers, bouncing and HSS outdoors. Also consider that with lighting ratios other than A:B=1:1 the off camera 430exII will be working 2-8x more than the 580exII Master.

SInce flash is the cheapest part of the gear (compared to camera and lenses) and will last a long time if not abused the extra money spend on the 580ex is actually, I think, a good value in the long run which is why I bought a pair of 580ex.

I'd also suggest trying the built-in signaling before buying radio triggers. I've been triggering mine optically without any problems from upto 50', through doorways, etc. You can always buy the triggers later when you find you actually need them.

Nov 30, 2011 at 07:19 PM
Photodan34
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Secondary speedlite

I agree with chuck, you also have an identical back up. The 430 would make a great third flash.

Dec 01, 2011 at 07:17 AM
jwheel
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Secondary speedlite

The 430 is intended to "become" the third flash, I was trying to figure a way of saving a couple hundred bucks around Christmas time, so I can spoil my kids a little more. I hate spending money on myself. lol

That is the plan though. 2 580s, 1 430, and probably a couple of Einsteins eventually.

Thanks for the replies.

Dec 01, 2011 at 07:35 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Secondary speedlite

jwheel wrote:
Best option for a secondary speedlite, considering I don't really want to spend 450 bucks on a 580 exII? I already have 1 580 exII.

For off-camera, non-ETTL flash, I like these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/61441-REG/Vivitar_233965_285HV_Flash.html

I've been using them for more than 25 years, and they do all I need of them.

If you want something a little more modern-looking that more-closely matches the looks of the 580EX, you might consider these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755575-REG/Vivitar_DF483CAN_DF_483_CAN_Wireless_TTL_LCD.html

In addition to triggering with the Phottix triggers, they'll also work with a 580EX Master in wireless ETTL Slave mode.

Dec 01, 2011 at 04:16 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.