New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Need Macbook Pro case/protector

anthony whitmo
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need Macbook Pro case/protector

After purchasing an Imac a year ago I have been wanting to swap my Windows Laptop to Mac too. I finally bit the bullet and picked up a Macbook Pro 17" off of Apple.com.

It arrived today and now I am thinking I want to keep this baby Minty Fresh and Ding free.

Hoping to run off the experience of the forum as to which products work best to protect my new Toy.

I want something to protect the Macbook and a rubber style sleeve to put the whole thing into for added protection while traveling.

Any links or best products that work well would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks,

Ant

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:11 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need Macbook Pro case/protector

anthony whitmo wrote:
I want something to protect the Macbook and a rubber style sleeve to put the whole thing into for added protection while traveling.

So do you know what you mean by "the whole thing" ? Consider that as well as the MBP it could include the mains charger and cable, backup drive, card reader, cables, wireless modem, etc. By the time you get a case to hold all of that you're typically into the large briefcase / small suitcase style often carried like a briefcase or with a shoulder strap. They're bulky and quite a nuisance in many situations. A lot of these cases have pockets for what would normally go in a separate briefcase, making them even bigger. These types of bags offer better protection when you cannot control what might be placed on top them, because they are more rigid, but many times they remain half empty and just occupy a lot of space.

I opt for a neoprene "skin" that holds the MBP snugly with a stretch fit and zips up to keep it in. It has a single padded light foam sheet to further protect the thinner and weaker screen side of the MBP. I often slip my wireless modem in there too, against the rear of the MBP. I use this arrangement because it often goes like that into a full size travel suitcase or a large camera backpack or just sits in my car, and I don't need to prevent it from bending or from impact damage.

There's no point giving you a reference (even if I had one) because what we get here in Oz would be different from what you could get.

- Alan

Nov 30, 2011 at 03:55 AM
anthony whitmo
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need Macbook Pro case/protector

Hmmmm I was only talking about the Macbook Pro itself. Some type of cover or case that fits around the laptop so that the Top/Bottom etc doesn't get scratched or dented.

Thanks for replying and sori my request wasn't clear enough.

Ant

Nov 30, 2011 at 04:52 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need Macbook Pro case/protector

there are a number of hard plastic-y upper and lower 'cases' that attach to the MBP that will do what you want. They come in a range of colors. You might want to go to a local Apple store to check them out (but they are sure to be overpriced there) or do a little searching.

good google searches may include 'macbook pro shell' or 'skin' or 'cover'

Nov 30, 2011 at 08:32 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need Macbook Pro case/protector

I've been using these cases for ~4 years on 3 MacBooks, and have been very happy:

https://www.speckproducts.com/macbook-cases.html

Nov 30, 2011 at 08:56 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need Macbook Pro case/protector

Yes, those are the ones I was thinking about

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:46 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need Macbook Pro case/protector

I have a speck case and it seems OK. I got one with a little texture to it to reduce the chance of dropping the unit.

Nov 30, 2011 at 09:58 PM
anthony whitmo
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need Macbook Pro case/protector

Thanks everyone.

I wasn't sure if there were some options that SUCKED and others that were highly recommended based on experience. I just didn't want to buy one to later find out there was a product out there that was MUCH better.

Appreciate the info on the SPECK I went ahead and ordered one......

And KNOW someone will post some other product that is MUCH BETTER and give me the reasons WHY it's better........

Why?

Cause that's the way it goes

Thanks again

Ant

Edited on Dec 01, 2011 at 09:04 PM · View previous versions

Dec 01, 2011 at 09:19 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need Macbook Pro case/protector

At least you understand the way of the world

Dec 01, 2011 at 11:54 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.