New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Gimbal question

bipock
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gimbal question

Using an Induro GHB2 with my 500. No problems balancing, no problems with vertical adjustments. However, the horizontal platform seems really loose to me - to the point that when tracking moving objects, I get ahead of them very easily. I've tried adjusting the tensionbut just can't seem to get it right as it's either too tight or too loose.

Is this just a characteristic of all gimbals, being a little sloppy when loosened?

Nov 29, 2011 at 02:58 PM
HerbChong
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gimbal question

i never tension any of the axes of rotation except when i need to lock up for moving the entire setup. if you are getting ahead of your subject, you have to modify your technique.

Herb...

Nov 29, 2011 at 04:36 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gimbal question

So no tension at all Herb? I don't have any vertically, but horizontally I need some.

Nov 29, 2011 at 04:50 PM
HerbChong
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gimbal question

i never have any. the locks are as loose as they get with the least resistance the Wimberley is capable of. i lock only when i move or otherwise might have something move the system when i am not holding it. you have to practice more.

Herb...

Nov 29, 2011 at 05:21 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gimbal question

The wimberley can be adjusted to provide as much or as little tension as you want, so no the looseness is not a characteristic of all gimbals.

If it is all too loose then you have less vibration dampening effect. If it is too tight then you cause vibration by having to push the thing too hard to follow your subject. Somewhere in between is just right.

Mind you, I cannot class myself as an expert with the wimberley. It is no nicely balanced that I actually find it harder to keep steady when I'm holding the camera. I too need more practice but I'm sure it would be better to know what technique to practise.

- Alan

Nov 30, 2011 at 04:19 AM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gimbal question

I work with a Wimberly gimbal, and almost always with moving subjects. I leave both axis fairly loose, and they seem "equal" to me as far as friction. I keep my rig balanced very well in both directions, and even with the low friction I use, the camera will stay put if I let go. And I really like how well I can handle a large lens and track and shoot "big birds" at air shows.

You are probably hoping for responses specific to your Induro GHB2, and I hope you get some. You may perhaps have an issue that can be helped by a new bushing or washer, or perhaps with lubrication, but you should check with someone that knows before doing anything drastic to try to fix your one axis.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:11 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.