Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

Anyone know which flash meter can trigger alien bees? .. I know the sekonics can take a module to fire pocket wizards, but no module for cybercyncs.

Nov 26, 2011 at 02:10 PM
dedsen
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

None that I know of. I just hold my CST in my hand and press the button with my meter in place.

Nov 26, 2011 at 02:11 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

the Cyber Commander has a flash meter built in and will trigger Cybersyncs. I always found it easy with a Sekonic to just press the test button on the CST, whether on that camera or in my hand.

Nov 26, 2011 at 04:40 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

Mike Mahoney wrote:
Anyone know which flash meter can trigger alien bees? .. I know the sekonics can take a module to fire pocket wizards, but no module for cybercyncs.

You could, of course, use Pocket Wizard receivers to trip the Alien Bees, and then the Sekonic with PW transmitter would work just fine.

Nov 26, 2011 at 05:15 PM
Sid Ceaser
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

I plug a snyc cord from my light meter to my CST, which then fires the lights. Works like a charm. Black velcro on the CST attaches it to my meter, or I hold it in my hand.

Nov 27, 2011 at 09:27 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

brett maxwell wrote:
the Cyber Commander has a flash meter built in and will trigger Cybersyncs. I always found it easy with a Sekonic to just press the test button on the CST, whether on that camera or in my hand.

I did the same thing before getting a CyberCommander.

I think I'll put my L358 on eBay and pick up another CyberCommander. The L358 was backing up my L558, but I'd rather have a backup to the CC.

Nov 27, 2011 at 01:18 PM
onetrack
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

Same here, I use my CST in hand with my Sekonic.

Nov 28, 2011 at 08:55 AM
jwboring
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

How about when shooting on location and need to get a reading for ambient & flash?

Dec 01, 2011 at 11:00 AM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

Sid Ceaser wrote:
I plug a snyc cord from my light meter to my CST, which then fires the lights. Works like a charm. Black velcro on the CST attaches it to my meter, or I hold it in my hand.

Sid what brand & model is your meter? .. this seems like a good workaround solution to me.

Dec 01, 2011 at 09:49 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

Sid Ceaser wrote:

Mike Mahoney wrote:
Sid what brand & model is your meter? .. this seems like a good workaround solution to me.

Most hand-held flash meters have a PC socket built-in, so it'll work with any of them.

I use the Sekonic L-758DR pictured here, and could do the same if needed, although mine has the built-in Pocket Wizard transmitter.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/67/502667.jpg

Here's a link to Sekonic's Web site...the L-308S in this case, and you can see the PC socket in the lower right corner of the case.

http://www.sekonic.com/Products/L-308S/Overview.aspx

http://www.sekonic.com/Portals/0/Products/L308S-black_1_thumb_mw_1263_h_524.jpg

Dec 02, 2011 at 03:25 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

just hold the cst in your hand, and the meter in your other. This is not a problem that needs money thrown at it.

Dec 02, 2011 at 05:13 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

RobertLynn wrote:
just hold the cst in your hand, and the meter in your other. This is not a problem that needs money thrown at it.

Yeah. $10.00 or less for a short PC cord and a rubber band or some Velcro might break the bank.

Dec 02, 2011 at 08:38 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

BrianO wrote:
Yeah. $10.00 or less for a short PC cord and a rubber band or some Velcro might break the bank.

Didn't say it would...just doesn't seem like a problem that needed money.

When I shoot a session, I've got my camera around my neck...CST on top of it, in the flash hotshoe. Or if my camera is on the tripod, I can just take the CST off of the camera.

Walk over to client, hold meter where it needs to be, click the readin gbutton...click the CST.

Or, what, add another CST to velcro it to my Sekonic, then a sync cable, so I can have them together... I don't get it...just sounds stupid.

Dec 02, 2011 at 11:00 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

Or, what, add another CST to velcro it to my Sekonic, then a sync cable, so I can have them together... I don't get it...just sounds stupid.

Connecting, reconnecting. Unnecessary.

Dec 02, 2011 at 11:22 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

RDKirk wrote:
Connecting, reconnecting. Unnecessary.

Walk over with yoru camera then...you're already going over to meter anyway.

CST 60$ or whatever. Another cord, velcro, whatever. It's more than a $10 solution, to a problem that doesn't need any special attention.

Dec 04, 2011 at 10:31 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

RobertLynn wrote:
...Walk over with yoru camera then...you're already going over to meter anyway.

Some of us shoot with our cameras on tripods or camera stands much of the time.

I agree, though, that this "problem" isn't really a problem, because there are so many ways to do it: have subject hold meter while you trigger from camera position; place meter on stand while you trigger from camera position; use another CyberSync in the other hand; etc.

Whatever works, works. Lots of options.

Dec 04, 2011 at 10:36 PM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

Thanks again for everyone's input & help .. for now I think a short PC cord to a hot shoe adapter with my spare CST should do the trick.

But as Brain said there are many solutions presented here and whatever works, works!

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:15 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

I use the cheap-o yongnuo rf602 transmitter attached to the L358 via pc cable. receiver on the bee. works perfect.
(the pc port on the tx unit is bi-directional, you still use the trigger button on the light meter)

Dec 22, 2011 at 02:37 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

I use a faster-than-light-neutrino generator. I trigger the strobes, then ride the neutrino wave to the subject, hold up the meter, and take a reading of the light as it arrives behind me. I hate making my subject hold that meter -- it's just unprofessional.

Dec 28, 2011 at 01:24 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · cybercyncs, alien bees, and flash meter (s)

Ian Ivey wrote:
I use a faster-than-light-neutrino generator. I trigger the strobes, then ride the neutrino wave to the subject, hold up the meter, and take a reading of the light as it arrives behind me.

The only problem is that you don't know if you're metering the right subject. The Uncertainty Principle says that you might be reading the light from a photographer on Jupiter. Or does your meter have a Heisenberg Compensator?

Dec 28, 2011 at 01:55 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.