Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Sold G-3 MFT and have NEX-5N on order!

lenticular11
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Sold G-3 MFT and have NEX-5N on order!

After a brief fling with the Panasonic G3, I have just sold it after 2 months and have a NEX-5n with 16mm and 18-55 kit lens on order.

This is an adjunct to my 1DMkIII and fairly comprehensive selection of lenses. During my time with the G3 I managed to buy a 28mm Elmarit-R f2.8, an FL55 f1.2, an FD 50 f1.4 SSC and an FL35 f2.5. I have a few good legacy P-K lenses also.

I'm looking forward to using these with the NEX-5N as well as on my 1DMkIII. The FL55 has an Ed Mika adapter fitted and the other FD and FL lenses are being adapted by pengland who is a forum member (global trade!).

One thing that detracted from my G3 experience, was some luminance noise that didn't seem to get described in any reviews/tests I had read, but that had been reported on forums.

I wasn't sold on the Sony ergonomics nor menu system, but the APS-C sensor is an advantage over M43.

Nov 26, 2011 at 05:54 AM
crazeazn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Sold G-3 MFT and have NEX-5N on order!

Nice, let me know how it goes. I have a 1d3 as well (in a weird spot at least by alt. board members) and have a fair amount of good glass accumulated. Let us know how it goes!

Nov 26, 2011 at 06:42 AM
LightShow
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Sold G-3 MFT and have NEX-5N on order!

1DIII & NEX 7 on order for me, I can't wait...

Nov 26, 2011 at 07:10 AM
Sosua
• •
p.1 #4 · Sold G-3 MFT and have NEX-5N on order!

I don't find the controls to be an issue at all on the 5N compared to my DSLRs - just put it in aperture priority and shoot - ISO and exposure compensation can be changed quickly without taking my eye from the viewfinder. The ergonomics however take a bit of getting used to (mainly for portrait shooting), although that's really just the small size.

Must be crazy going between the 1D and the 5N!

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:51 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1 #5 · Sold G-3 MFT and have NEX-5N on order!

Sosua wrote:
I don't find the controls to be an issue at all on the 5N compared to my DSLRs - just put it in aperture priority and shoot - ISO and exposure compensation can be changed quickly without taking my eye from the viewfinder...

Must be crazy going between the 1D and the 5N!

Your comments re ergonomics are promising!

Re crazy,I'll let you know when I get an NEX5N, as the eBay dealer in Hong Kong has proven to be shonky. Claimed to make a mistake in the advertised price and offered me a discount of $34 in the 'real' price, that also happens to be $396 more than I ordered it at!

I am taking the alternative choice of a PayPal refund and will buy elsewhere. Maybe I should just buy a NEX7 body and enjoy the range of legacy glass I have amassed.

I am certainly not sorry that I sold the G3.

Dec 01, 2011 at 11:52 AM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Sold G-3 MFT and have NEX-5N on order!

I did the exact same thing but added the 55-210 on a 3 lens with body sale BestBuy was having. I also use a D7000 for my pro work along with several Nikkor lenses. Indeed I think you'll find the NEX-5n holds up quite well against just about ANY DSLR for shear file quality, and it also has a few tricks up it's sleeve the DSLR's DON"T have. The "Twilight" shooting mode is addicting, the instant HDR is quite effective but bottom line the svelte size is what I'm hooked on. My D7000 is getting real lonely

Dec 01, 2011 at 02:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lenticular11
• • •
p.1 #7 · Sold G-3 MFT and have NEX-5N on order!

Thanks Traveler for your experience with 5N vs DSLRs

My NEX5N will be in my hands today or tomorrow - courier tried delivering today.

Can't wait to try with Canon Ls, FL55 f1.2, Leica-R 28 and Contax 28-85, but first I need the adapters to arrive!

Dec 07, 2011 at 08:17 AM
slungu
• • •
p.1 #8 · Sold G-3 MFT and have NEX-5N on order!

FWIW, I switched from a 1Ds to the NEX ( first the 3, now 5N ), and I like it a lot. There are however two problems : SLR lenses are huge with adapter on the NEX - even the moderate Planar 50/1.4 that looked good on the 1Ds looks huge on the NEX. Second : you get a crop camera, and as such you will loose some light on the wide end when going for small rangefinder lenses ( eg. 28mm/2.0 Distagon on 1Ds gets to a ZM18/4 on the NEX, that would be two stops loss ). But it is a neat package to have around, and much better for walking all day trough town with than the big ones ( even if they also stand out as nice tools ).

Regards, Stefan

Dec 07, 2011 at 08:34 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1 #9 · Sold G-3 MFT and have NEX-5N on order!

Thanks Stefan.

I had predicted the large lens - small camera issue, but I take mostly landscapes ( when not doing motorcycle sport or airshows), so the looks don't bother me. I'm not going to do much urban stuff.)

I have to admit that even with a standard Sony zoom, the looks of the NEX5 looked unbalanced and I don't really like the fact that the lens sits off to the side, however I'm looking forward to the performance.

Dec 07, 2011 at 08:58 AM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Sold G-3 MFT and have NEX-5N on order!

You know what...for shooting manual, once you set up the 5n it's easier than the fuji x100 to use. It took me a week to get comfortable with it but now it's very easy. I wonder if it's worth getting the nex7 anymore tbh.

Wheel spins aperture, click down and wheel spins shutter, click right adjust aperture. It's very very smile and I had some good advice here

Dec 07, 2011 at 02:46 PM
slungu
• • •
p.1 #11 · Sold G-3 MFT and have NEX-5N on order!

h00ligan wrote:
Wheel spins aperture, click down and wheel spins shutter, click right adjust aperture. It's very very smile and I had some good advice here

Hm, my wheel for aperture is somewhere in front of the camera

Dec 07, 2011 at 02:54 PM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1 #12 · Sold G-3 MFT and have NEX-5N on order!

I agree with ease of use. After seeing derogatory comments about the menu system, I actually find it easier than the G3. Build quality is also much better.
I put it to good use yesterday at a motorcycle charity ride. Still have to receive my C/Y and EF to NEX adapters, but the 16 and 18-55 seem to be capable of good IQ. I took some indoor shots today at much higher ISO than intended ( left it on iA setting by mistake) an was amazed at the quality. Very pleased with my purchase so far!

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:38 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password