New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Dedicated Vivitar Color Filters

Image1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dedicated Vivitar Color Filters

Anyone know of a source for clip on Color filters for Vivitar Flash units, other than cutting them out from Rosco filters?

Thanks

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:00 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dedicated Vivitar Color Filters

I have a set of the filters Vivitar sold for the 285HV somewhere which slip into the slot on the front rim but I never used them much because they were a very limited range of colors. B&H might still sell them.

What I did is bought several Rosco sampler swatch books.

http://super.nova.org/TP/RoscoSampler.jpg

B&H formerly only charged a penny for them but due to demand they were never in stock. They now cost $2 (last time I checked). They are about the same size as a speedlight head and one one swatch book has everything Rosco sells — colors, ND, diffusion materials (what is hanging out in the photo). As you can see even if you don't use the swatches on the flash its a handy reference for selecting them because the slip sheets between gels have the specs on color K° shift and exposure difference.

B&H also sells a larger size sampler for about $20, but for the smaller ones if they don't fit you can just extend them with some black electrical or masking tape to prevent spill.

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:19 AM
Image1
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dedicated Vivitar Color Filters

Thanks Cgardner, Thats a Great Idea, I actually have one of those Samplers from Rosco I never though of using the samples though! and they do seem about the right size also.

Nov 25, 2011 at 11:18 AM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dedicated Vivitar Color Filters

You can sometimes find them on eBay. They don't come up that often, but every so often.

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:26 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dedicated Vivitar Color Filters

cgardner wrote:
I have a set of the filters Vivitar sold for the 285HV somewhere which slip into the slot on the front rim but I never used them much because they were a very limited range of colors.

If you should happen upon them, I'd be happy to take them off your hands if the price is reasonable. I lost mine during one of my recent moves, and I just feel somehow "incomplete" without them.

Nov 25, 2011 at 11:27 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dedicated Vivitar Color Filters

Image1 wrote:
Anyone know of a source for clip on Color filters for Vivitar Flash units, other than cutting them out from Rosco filters?

If you're talking about the Vivitar 285HV, I just came across these which fit either the Vivitar 285HV or its identical twin, the Cactus KF36:

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/multi-color-flash-filter-kit-for-cactus-kf36-vivitar-285hv.html

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/imagefile/dicflafilcf1_1.jpg

I've never bought from Gadget Infinity, but for $19.95 this may be the right item withwhich I should try them.

Nov 26, 2011 at 05:40 PM
Specularist
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dedicated Vivitar Color Filters

There's also Rosco's Strobist Collection, a 55-piece set for a low price.

Nov 26, 2011 at 06:58 PM
Image1
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dedicated Vivitar Color Filters

Thanks to everyone for the Help!

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:08 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.