New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Seeking Advice: Canon ef 8-15mm vs 14mm

jmponfil
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Seeking Advice: Canon ef 8-15mm vs 14mm

I am contemplating a wide angle lens for my 5D mk II. I am struggling between the 14mm L II and the 8-15mm L. Chances are excellent that I will not be purchasing another wide angle lens for along time. Currently on the wide end, I have a 17-40 L and a 24-70 L. I have no experience with either of the lenses I am inquiring about. The lens will be primarly used for landscapes and maybe some portrait shots to get separation and include cool backgrounds. My photography is primarily nature and wildlife, and I am only an amateur photographer.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Jason

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:51 PM
photoman333
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Seeking Advice: Canon ef 8-15mm vs 14mm

The 14mm is an ultra-wide lens that is corrected for distortion. However, the 8-15 is a FISHEYE lens, which will give the image a round, distorted look.

By what you're going to be using the lens for, the 14mm would be the way to go.

Jason

Nov 21, 2011 at 01:46 PM
jmponfil
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Seeking Advice: Canon ef 8-15mm vs 14mm

Thanks photoman,

Some of the pictures I saw from the 8-15 looked pretty normal at the 15mm end. Was wondering how the images compare to the 14mm, if anyone knows.

Jason

Nov 21, 2011 at 03:11 PM
WiLLGT09
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Seeking Advice: Canon ef 8-15mm vs 14mm

Check this review: http://www.The-Digital-Picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-8-15mm-f-4-L-USM-Fisheye-Lens-Review.aspx

If you scroll down to the comparison photos, there's one of the 14mm 2.8 lens. Notice the lack of distortion from the 14mm compared to the fisheye images (both from the 8-15 and the 15mm fisheye). Even at 15mm on a FF (and a crop camera) the lines are still very much barrel distorted inherent to the nature of the fisheye lens.

If the fisheye curvy look is what your going going for, then by all means get the fisheye. But, particularly on the 5D2, the 8mm range on the 8-15 is a perfectly circular image. That's a pretty stark/limited use type shot. Lot of money to spend on a lens of that nature for the limited use, I personally would get out of it. YMMV.

I'd say, if you have the funds, go for the 14mm.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:36 AM
jmponfil
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Seeking Advice: Canon ef 8-15mm vs 14mm

Thanks Will,

Obviously, there are gaps between visits for me! I agree with you, I will wait until I can get the 14mm (unless one pops up here for a great price!)

Jason

Nov 29, 2011 at 06:01 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.