Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Difference between a deep OCTA to a regulare one?

ilan_k
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Difference between a deep OCTA to a regulare one?

Hi,

I own the 100cm Elinchrom octa and i've been reading about the qouality of the deep ones.
I wonder if there is any website you might know which shows the difference between the deep and the "regular" version?

Any inputs from your own experience are appreciated too.

Nov 21, 2011 at 09:56 AM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Difference between a deep OCTA to a regulare one?

Shoot the elinchrom deep with the front and inner diffuser and it is indistinguishable from a regular softbox of similar size. The way most people are shooting the deep is with only the inner diffuser or with neither diffuser and with the translucent diffuser in place that comes to soften the harshness slightly. Shown here on a BD
http://barkerphotographic.ie/img/products/56qfc13azthnwx_small.jpg
The nice thing about the deep octa is that it not only gives you that "look", but and it also focuses the light so that it is more directional. This is great for shooting outdoors and not having light blasting all over the ground near the light. If you want to see if you like the look. Try putting one of those translucent deflectors on your 100cm octa and shoot it without any diffusers in place. You will get light that is VERY similar to the deep except you will have a lot more scatter. If you like how it looks on your subject than I would think about getting one. It is much more difficult to shoot with the deep octa like this. You need MUCH more careful placement than with the 100cm that you've been using, and because it is much more focused, you can almost never get away with using a reflector for fill, you'll need another light.

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:50 AM
ilan_k
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Difference between a deep OCTA to a regulare one?

Thanks

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:11 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.