New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Which image for WA 476

wifi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which image for WA 476

Hello,
My first post to the critique forum, so please don't be too hard on me .

In the spirit of this week's assignment "Out of Place", I went to the local Zoo to capture some creatures that were certainly not in their correct place. I did not have much time so I was unable to capture as many shots as I would have liked, but I think I came up with a couple that can work. The "caged" motif is patently obvious in the Lemur image (with the focus on the hands/feet clasped to the cage wire), but the eyes of the Colobus Monkey seem to draw more emotion (for me), with the surroundings providing the subtle clue that this in not its natural habitat.

Anyway, let me know which you feel is a better candidate for this week's assignment (if that is allowed). Of course any improvements you feel I can make to the images themselves is very much welcome.

Thanks

Nov 21, 2011 at 01:15 AM
mrchile
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which image for WA 476

I like both of these.
I think the lemur would have worked better if you had used more DOF to get its eyes in focus as well. Its posture says a lot though.
The focus on the eyes of the Colobus would probably evoke a more emotional response from most people, and therefore might be the better choice for the WA.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:32 AM
wifi
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which image for WA 476

mrchile,
Thanks for the response. It was tough decision on the Lemur - I wanted to draw attention to the bars (and I also found the shape and texture of the feet interesting), thus the shallow DOF. However, I know that not having the eyes in focus is a big distraction for most folks.

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which image for WA 476

They work better for me cropped tighter...

http://super.nova.org/EDITS/Zoo1.jpg

The contrasting red color of the wood is distracting. Cropped and rotated (to accommodate the crop) the space seems larger and more balanced to my eye.

With the second shot the bottom of the platform distracts in the same way as the red strip in the first. http://super.nova.org/EDITS/Zoo2.jpg
Also consider whether the bright saturated colors are in context with the message of a sad caged monkey. For me it is better conveyed with a less saturated background, in part because he has all neutral tones.

http://super.nova.org/EDITS/Zoo3.jpg

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:03 PM
wifi
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which image for WA 476

cgardner,
Thank you very much for your comments - I agree with your suggestion for a tighter crop on both of these. I had already cropped them some - I just didn't go far enough.

It was also suggested that I erase the hairs near the chain - I'll take care of those as well and re-post.

Nov 22, 2011 at 09:54 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.