Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2011 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

Rick Denham
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

fortunately for me, my dad is the head coach of the local university women's varsity hockey team.
fortunately for me, the girls love getting their picture taken.
fortunately for me, everyone gives me creative freedom.

figured what better contrast to women's hockey then a scrap yard.
we had some fun, the first shot is the main reason we went, still needs some polishing.
the other shots we just for sh!ts and giggles.

feel free to c+c, enjoy
l
l
l
V

Edited on Nov 22, 2011 at 01:34 PM · View previous versions

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:28 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

Very nice,
I'm not sure why used the dump as background for photo section.

Edited on Nov 21, 2011 at 02:00 AM · View previous versions

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:53 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

I wonder what will these kid parent think of this photo?

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:56 PM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

So far from the parents, it's a resounding "awesome", but what do parents know.

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Canon 10D
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

I would modify the lighting a bit to get rid of the shadow on the face of the girl on the left (the one with the Reebok stick) if you can re-shoot; else, just do some post processing on it. Sorry, I am picky.

I like it when someone thinks outside of the box. You can also take them to those abandoned warehouses or factories with exposed brick walls etc. Nice jobs on creativity!

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:35 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

I think this is a bloody Awesome idea!

Also thining about it, I bet the parents and players here of any sport would love it.
That said, getting them to any location other than the grounds at a regular training or game time would bring whines and whinges and I'd expect a lot of no shows. As these seem to be an older team, perhaps there is more enthuasiam than would be with the resonisbility being soley on the parents.

I did a shoot for a club earlier this year and found a hayshed nearby on the grounds and mentioned to the club contact that i could do something really differnt and off beat in there. He said great, go for it somehwat to my surprise so I did and it went down a treat.

As for reshooting because of one shadow on the face, are you serious and have you ever done T&I before?
With that location there are a Million things that could go wrong and if that is the only/ main fault of just the images shown, then I'd have to say it was a Bloody well done Job!!

Nov 21, 2011 at 01:10 AM
Jeff Napier
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

I like them Rick, good job.
Jeff

Nov 21, 2011 at 02:54 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

I think I see my chest of drawers

Nov 21, 2011 at 06:09 AM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

Nice job, Rick! Love the dark sky. Aside from the first pic, I really like 4 & 5. Are these the Captains or what was the reason for singling these girls out?
I can't believe some of these girls are wearing 'slips' or flip-flops in that junkyard. Hello rusty nail!

Nov 21, 2011 at 09:56 AM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

Thanks guys, side note too - this is not the official team photo, that is done on ice in full gear.

Billy, after the team photo the rest go in succession of their years at school. Freshman - Sophomore - Junior - Senior. as for the flip flops, it was the lady's choice.

Paul, as in a chest of drawers, or a chest with your drawers in it. get it, drawers = underwear. man i crack me up.

Canon 10D, pretty sure a re-shoot is out of the question, but as i mentioned still some polishing up before they go to print.

Jonathan, i used a scrap yard for a background because i like to thin out side the box, not in it.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:13 AM
ishootsports3
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

I like it a lot, very cool photo for sure

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:18 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

Is the sky au naturale? If so, wow... what a great day to do it.

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

a few more for y'all to check out

6. alternate team pic

7. forwards

8. defense

9. goalies

10. the ladies, up close and personal

11. rookies v. vets

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:17 AM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

Rick, I really REALLY dig the very first one - which I take to be the one you're flying with for the full team shot here. It's outstanding... love the concept with the scrapyard (I get the contrast thing here), the team is spread out well and posed well (including the goal pads on the sides), the lighting is balanced and the sky looks awesome.

Nov 21, 2011 at 06:51 PM
mdalby
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

Hmmm... This setting REALLY doesn't do anything for me. Is there some kind of theme or something that would make this more fitting?

Nov 21, 2011 at 08:38 PM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

DJ - thanks a ton man. we lucked out on the sky, it was calling for rain all day until. Some up that morning. Three light setup, all white lightning 1600's (left - middle - right) at abou 8ft high pointing down about 10 deg. Only shot the thing Sunday, have an order for 29 12x18 plack mounts, another 23 18x12 prints, and one 6'x3' banner.

Mdalby - nope no theme, your not missing anything. It's just not my style to think inside the box. It's not the official team photo, just something creative the girls wanted to do for their parents (and themselves.

Nov 21, 2011 at 09:06 PM
WalnutPond
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

Holy liability batman! Hope they all had tetanus shots....

I like different. Definitely a contrast for most girls, but I don't know a thing about girl hockey.

Nov 21, 2011 at 09:10 PM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

Final Product

c+c more than welcome

l
l
l
V

Nov 22, 2011 at 01:32 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

I don't have experience with this kind of thing, so I can't comment on the technical elements, though all seems spot-on to me. What I like most about your final poster (and it has taken a short while to grow on me) is the balance between setting and subjects, which is just about evenly split as far as I can see. The typical team photo is an in-your-face affair, with all players readily visible, not much (if any) competition with the background. With this shot, you have to spend some time rummaging through the heap to take a look at each player, and that makes the overall experience much more interesting. It also seems that, overall, the players are well placed to maintain a pleasing balance for the eyes (I think dj made this same point). I wasn't sold initially, and maybe the text sets it off just right, but this is looking very good to me. Nice work, Rick.

Nov 22, 2011 at 01:55 PM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

thank you very much russ

Nov 22, 2011 at 02:02 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.