Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2011 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

roschko

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

Hi,
I'm looking for the best 50 for my canon FF.
Actually I thought this could be the Zeiss Planar 1.4 ...
But after reading some reviews I'm not so sure anymore.
(photozone.de, lloyd chambers).

So what is the best 50 ?
Of course the price should not be the same as a small car.
Don't care about AF, should be fast though ... 1.4 or less ?

Looking forward to read your thoughts

Thanks

Florian

Nov 20, 2011 at 08:55 PM
pingflood
• • •
p.1 #2 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

How do you define "best"?

Nov 20, 2011 at 09:01 PM
CVickery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

It's difficult to know what's best for someone else but I've settled on the Conurus converted Contax N 50/1.4 (tried the EF 50/1.4, 50/1.8 I and II, 50/1.2L,and a variety of MF 50's)

Nov 20, 2011 at 09:04 PM
obik
• •
p.1 #4 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

I've been looking at fast fifties for Canon FF, and the two that really jump out at me are the Sigma 1.4 and the Zeiss Makro-Planar. The Sigma has superb correction of coma, an f1.4 aperture, and a reasonable price, but you have terrible quality control and AF that's only marginally useful. The Zeiss has good performance across the frame wide open and focuses closely, but it's f2.0 and costs an arm and a leg.

Personally, I plan on buying the Sigma in the short term, and re-evaluating the Makro-Planar at a later date--high ISO performance on cameras still isn't good enough that I'm willing to sacrifice a stop of light.

I currently own the Canon 50/1.4 and it's a decent performer for a fast fifty, but it's not a good lens by any stretch of the imagination. Coma is bad, but not unusually bad. Outside the center of the frame, sharpness plummets, and the corners don't get really sharp until f4.0. Barrel distortion is noticable, but not terribly bad. The focus ring is terrible for MF, but not unusable.

I've shot with the Oly 50/1.4 on a 5D2, and found that coma was unbelievably bad, rendering it unsuitable for my photography. It also fell apart--literally--while I was shooting with it one day.

I also have a Nikon 50/1.8E, and haven't shot with it in years--I was distinctly unimpressed with it at the time, and I don't think it's worth the price of an adapter.

I'm sure I've shot with a K mount fast fifties on film, but don't remember anything about them.

Nov 20, 2011 at 09:11 PM
AhamB
• • • •
p.1 #5 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

I once asked a similar question and got the advice to get a Pentax-M 50/1.4. According to the person who gave me that advice, the lens was very similar to his Leica Summilux 50/1.4. I've been looking around for that lens but I'm not totally inspired by the Pentax offerings.
I've been using a CZJ Pancolar 50/1.8, which does very well for landscapes and close-ups too, but it's not great at medium distances and wide apertures. Color rendering is a bit subdued and not neutral (slight green cast). I settled on a Contax Planar 50/1.4 now and I'm very happy with it. It can do nice things wide open, as long as I don't try to use it for close-ups and expect good bokeh. At medium distance and f/2.8 it has incredible 3D pop. Biting central sharpness and great contrast.

If you're interested in the Zeiss MP50/2 I'd look at the comparisons between it and the Planar 50/1.4 first, because they are quite different. Depends on your shooting style, one will probably suit you better than the other.

Nov 20, 2011 at 09:28 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

Interesting that someone would call the Pentax close to a Summilux, they're very different designs (the Pentax is a straight Planar clone, it's essentially identical to the SMC Takumar version).

My pick for best choices would be the Zeiss Planar for mid distance shooting (either the N or the ZE) or an SMC Takumar for close-in work. Given the low cost of the latter, buying both is completely plausible.

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:48 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #7 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

I was very impressed with the Leica 50mm Summilux-R E60.

Nov 21, 2011 at 01:44 AM
alexandre
• • • •
p.1 #8 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

AF - Sigma 50/1.4
Sharpness - Zuiko 50/2 Macro
Fast - Zuiko 50/1.2
Sharpness and AF - Canon 50 CM (don't like it personally, blueish cast)

Nov 21, 2011 at 02:34 AM
Ataboy
• • •
p.1 #9 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

I share the opinion about Summilux-R 50/1.4 E60, if you can afford one and don't need AF. My second choice would be Contax N 50/1.4 because of fantastic sharpness, micro-contrast and AF.

Nov 21, 2011 at 02:45 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #10 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

You may try FD 55/1.2 SSC Aspherical converted. It was once the most expensive std lens in the world, even more than Noctilux 1.2. Erwin Puts said it may be the best std lens in SLR. I just got one, and still waiting for mount conversion.

Edited on Nov 21, 2011 at 01:23 PM · View previous versions

Nov 21, 2011 at 03:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #11 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

Having used multiple Canon, Pentax, Nikon, Vivitar and probably a few other 50mm SLR lenses, from what I've got personal experience with, I'd immediately offer that best all-around 50mm on a Canon is the Leica Summicron-R.

I wish I had experience with the E60 Summilux :-(

I've never used the ZF 50 Planar but perhaps some day I'll get the chance.

Nov 21, 2011 at 03:55 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

So far, my best imaging at normal distances has been with C/Y Zeiss 50/1.4.

Honorable mention to the "near-50" Leica R 60/2.8 Macro.I haven't tried any of the Leica 50's, and I'm sure they would be great, but not enough incentive to change from my Zeiss.

My other is the very versatile AF Canon EF 50/2.5 macro.

All are keepers for different reasons. But for only one, it would be the Zeiss.

Nov 21, 2011 at 06:49 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.1 #13 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

For me the best all round usable 50mm was (or is, I still have it but don't use it with my Nex) the Olympus Zuiko OM 50/2 Macro.It is "sharp", has decent bokeh and an overall nice way of rendering.

The best at f/1.4 was the Leica Summilux-R 50/1.4 E60 counting contrast and resolution wide open while the Sigma 50/1.4 had that nice rendering making it more pleasing from f/2. I have tried several 50/1.2 lenses as well (including Zuiko, Pentax, Porst and one or two more) but wasn't happy with any of them for different reasons.

What you need to do is decide what feature is the most important for you and then look at images available at flickr and pbase. They are good for judging lenses (except for checking resolution) if you look at many enough.
And, off-topic, all the mentioned lenses were easily outperformed by the Summilux-M 50/1.4 ASPH so now I simply wait for a FF Live camera taking M-mount lenses.

Nov 21, 2011 at 06:55 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #14 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

I have tried both versions of the summicron r the Sigma and all of the canon offerings and the one I kept is the canon 50 1.2L. It gets a bad wrap sometimes, but It is a wonderful lens.

Nov 21, 2011 at 07:39 AM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.1 #15 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

if it should be only one,
best for size, price, IQ, material Q, 3D, flare resistant a.s.o.....
and how it fits/looks on the cam,
just all in one
my decision was/is Zeiss T* 50mm f1,7

r-)

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:36 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #16 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

For me the best allrounder for canon is the 50/2 makro-planar. I also had the 50/1.2 L and I love the zeiss much more.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:41 AM
roschko

p.1 #17 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

Thanks for your answers.
@ pingflood:
Sharpness, Bokeh, Rendering, resolution, … - over all, your best 50.

Based on your replies, I did a little ebay research …
No 1 goes to the Leica Summilux – R50/1.4 E60 … around 3000,- $US
That’s definitely too much for me, don’t want to spend that much …
The E55 or 3-Cam sells for under 1000,- $US, what’s the difference ? (ROM, Pre-ROM, …)
The Summicron R sells for around 1000,- too … it´s f2 though … (E55, 3Cam, … ??)

The Canon FD 55mm 1,2 SSC Aspherical sells for around 1000,- $US too, the non Aspherical Version for about 350,- - Big difference in Quality?
(how much is the converting ? can you do it yourself ?)

Compared to the above, the Contax Zeiss Planar 50 1.4 is cheap, it costs around 300,-
Are the other ones that much better?

thanks
Florian

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:58 AM
Sr.Cordeiro
• •
p.1 #18 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

I've had a Zeiss planar 50/1.4, a Leica summicron-R 50/2, a zuiko 55/1.2 for a while.

At the time I kept the zeiss because it was the better one overall. It was very sharp, felt solid with a good physical size.
But in the end I had to sell it because I never really liked the nervous bokeh and its f/1.4 performance. For me at last, the big plus of having a fast lens is to use it at wide apertures.

I settled with a Sigma 50/1.4 and it's a almost perfect 50mm IMHO. The performance wide-open is phenomenal, stopped down it's excellent too (although I never had the opportunity to compare it to other lenses), it has the plus of AF, the built quality is good (not as good as the zeiss or leica and without the MF feel but it's nice overall) and you can buy it new, with guarantee and cheaper than many of the alternatives mentioned here.

I've said it's almost perfect because there's still one thing that bothers me: the big size and weight of this lens. But I've learned that in the camera world there's not such thing as perfection, there are always compromises to be made and it's only up to you to evaluate the ones you can live with.

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:22 AM
pingflood
• • •
p.1 #19 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

roschko wrote:
Thanks for your answers.
@ pingflood:
Sharpness, Bokeh, Rendering, resolution, … - over all, your best 50.

OK, I can share the ones I have used fairly extensively.

Zuiko 50/1.8: Tiny, dirt cheap, and really great rendering. Not the sharpest lens, but one that always gives very pleasing, classic looking images. Downside is stop down metering and having to use an adapter.

Canon 50/1.8: I have no idea why people are so excited about this lens. The only pro I can see is that it is cheap, but everything else is IMO a con. Horrible bokeh in many situations, cheap build, unpleasant to use, hated every picture I took with it. I know others like it, but this is one of the few lenses I truly hated using.

Canon 50/1.4: It is a fine, capable, and incredibly boring lens. Does everything nicely enough but every picture gives me a "eh" feeling. No personality, no excitement, just decent resolution and contrast. It "gets the job done" and nothing else.

Sigma 50/1.4: Wish they had made this one a manual focus lens. Killer resolution, ultra-smooth bokeh, great colors and contrast. Horrible QC which led me to dump mine and I have no interest in gambling on a Sigma product again. If they had made the focusing ring decent I would have kept it as a MF only lens.

Zeiss ZE 50/1.4: Liked it at first, then did not like it, then loved it. It has a lot of personality and may not be to everyone's taste. Bokeh can seem busy, wide open and close up it is a so-so performer. But, the images that come out of it often pop like nothing else; superb microcontrast and resolution and there is nothing that quite looks like it. And yes, it often gives that hotly debated "3D" look in my opinion. Kept it as my only 50.

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:11 PM
AhamB
• • • •
p.1 #20 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

roschko wrote:
Compared to the above, the Contax Zeiss Planar 50 1.4 is cheap, it costs around 300,-
Are the other ones that much better?

No, they're not. Most Contax lenses give great value for money. The Planar 50/1.4 is not the best lens in every area of application (such as close-ups), but that last bit of extra performance comes at huge premium.

I think the Leica Summilux-R 50/1.4 can't be used on a 5D without shaving the mirror, by the way.

Edited on Nov 21, 2011 at 01:10 PM · View previous versions

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:53 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password