Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Maybe FAQ: 580 EXII and 1Ds not working

danielz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Maybe FAQ: 580 EXII and 1Ds not working

I recall several posts about this but can't locate a description about what to actually do.... I have a Canon 1Ds III and a 580 EX- II flash. The flash is not seating completely (I think) on the hot-shoe

I can lock/unlock it in position multiple times and I get ETTL/TTL, frozen zoom on the flash and totally inconsistent exposure, usually being completely blown-out images.

Was there a DIY fix for this? has anyone completely fixed this issue? Does this require a mail in to Canon repair of the flash or the camera, or both? (I need to test the others, but I think I was fine with the 550EX....)

thanks in advance,
Dan

Nov 19, 2011 at 03:26 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Maybe FAQ: 580 EXII and 1Ds not working

Scroll down to Canon 580EXII hotshoe DIY fix link
FM discussion

Nov 19, 2011 at 05:25 AM
danielz

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Maybe FAQ: 580 EXII and 1Ds not working

OK, thanks... I did see that google article and was hoping that there was something more definitive as to the problem before I attempt ripping open the flash.

I assume that from your post that this is a "flash" issue and not a hotshoe issue on the 1Ds III? Its not clear if all 580 EX-IIs are having the problem.

Does anyone know if the problem is "only" flash-to-hotshoe? or is it also with the OC-3 cord? Does the ST-E2 or the 550EX have the issue?

Nov 20, 2011 at 03:59 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Maybe FAQ: 580 EXII and 1Ds not working

580EX1 for the win. 580EX2 = suck.

Nov 20, 2011 at 06:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Maybe FAQ: 580 EXII and 1Ds not working

danielz wrote:
OK, thanks... I did see that google article and was hoping that there was something more definitive as to the problem before I attempt ripping open the flash.

No need to rip open the flash; the issue is probably with the weather seal on the flash foot. If so, there are Web articles on how to fix it yourself.

On a related note, how come so many people call the hot foot a hot shoe? The shoe is on the camera, and -- as befits a shoe -- the foot slips into it.

Nov 21, 2011 at 02:55 AM
danielz

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Maybe FAQ: 580 EXII and 1Ds not working

Did a little more searching around and found a few things.
1. The DIY flash fix that earlier poster referred to.....
2. A flash shoe tightening on the camera

I also found a post that indicated Canon has changed the foot of the flash (the pins). I had the opportunity to return the flash that wasnt working (amazon is fantastic).. The one I returned had rounded pins that seem rather "short" when compared with the flash that was just sent to me.... The new one (working so far) has pins that are shaped with a sharper tip that appear to be a little longer. I cant tell much from serial numbers as the bad flash was 4xxxxxxxx and the new one starts with a Cxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

So it may be worth others having the issue to send to Canon for the flash pin/base replacement....
Has anyone else seen the difference? and are the sharper/longer pins working? I dont shoot with the 580 attached too much/often, but it sure was a huge issue when ETTL/TTL/overblown images happend unexpectedly.....

Nov 23, 2011 at 09:45 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Maybe FAQ: 580 EXII and 1Ds not working

The 580exII eliminated 580ex convenient OFF-MASTER-SLAVE switch as part of the water proofing change. The foot changed from a plastic to metal base and pins from small and rectangular to fat and round. The 580exII > camera interface also changed allowing camera menus to control the flash(es).

With early models the combination of the new rubber seal and pin change would cause intermittent contact problems which would switch the flash in the the film body A-TTL (TTL) mode causing it to fire randomly at full power. There were also reports of failure due to arcing between flash tube and reflector inside with heavy HSS use with Pocket Wizard in part due to redesign to weather seal it.

Your is the first I've heard of a modification to address the problem, which is good news for future 580exII users.

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:36 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password