Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · *video* Ultimate tripod head - Eki Pro MF

hkurkela
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · *video* Ultimate tripod head - Eki Pro MF

Couldn't find any earlier discussions in FM on this ultimate tripod head, Eki Pro MF. So, I decided to share with you my excitement receiving this box in mail some days ago

The build quality of the head is simply excellent and surpassed my already high expectations. Even with two cameras and heavy gear attached the head is excellently balanced, smooth & easy to operate. More details of the head at: http://www.eki-foto.com

Heikki

This is now the long waited box

The Eki Pro MF should be at its best with heavy gear, so lets give it a test

... and why not just go ahead and add a second camera also?

OK, I agree, this is no longer the easiest combo to walk around with :)

Nov 17, 2011 at 09:25 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · *video* Ultimate tripod head - Eki Pro MF

yes it will be balanced as long as you have both setups equally balanced on the pivot plane. the length of the smaller cameras setups foot is determined by the big setups balance.

how is the Z axis (vertical) adjusted so the lens is dead null on all 3 axis?

manfrotto uses this basic designed. this is much more refined and solidly built in addition to being more knobby.

Edited on Nov 18, 2011 at 12:04 AM · View previous versions

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:08 PM
panamapreacher
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · *video* Ultimate tripod head - Eki Pro MF

AHHHH is that my baby in the picture!! The one you bought from me (400 2.8 VR). I miss her. Oh... and yea that Eki Pro is sweet too. Thanks for posting.

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:57 PM
hkurkela
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · *video* Ultimate tripod head - Eki Pro MF

This head turned out to be very easy to balance. Moving the bigger lens a few mm does the trick for horizontal.

For vertical axis I tested several setups to find the optimal height of my 400mm lens on the head and thus the optimal balance. With original Nikon foot + Eki lens plate the setup had the best reach (down and upwards), but the balance was somewhat compromised due to high connection vs vertical axis. With a replacement foot +Eki plate the connection height was at the right level and the balance is amazingly light vs the actual weight of system.

Heikki

sjms wrote:
yes it will be balanced as long as you have both setups equally balanced on the pivot plane. the length of the smaller cameras setups foot is determined by the big setups balance.

how is the Z axis (vertical) adjusted so the lens is dead null on all 3 axis?

manfrotto uses this basic designed. this is much more refined and solidly built in addition to being more knobby.

Nov 18, 2011 at 08:32 PM
hkurkela
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · *video* Ultimate tripod head - Eki Pro MF

Thank you again - I have already had a lot of use for this lens.

Heikki

panamapreacher wrote:
AHHHH is that my baby in the picture!! The one you bought from me (400 2.8 VR). I miss her. Oh... and yea that Eki Pro is sweet too. Thanks for posting.

Nov 18, 2011 at 08:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · *video* Ultimate tripod head - Eki Pro MF

so if i'm understanding what you are saying, there is no easy vertical adjustment for nulling out the Z axis so multiple long lenses can be swapped and nulled from any lens source on the fly?

Nov 20, 2011 at 01:08 PM
hkurkela
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · *video* Ultimate tripod head - Eki Pro MF

sjms wrote:
so if i'm understanding what you are saying, there is no easy vertical adjustment for nulling out the Z axis so multiple long lenses can be swapped and nulled from any lens source on the fly?

Lens swapping and balancing is very easy. Fine tuning of Z axis is, in my opinion, a matter of taste & preference (reach vs balance) and of course done the quickest if the lenses are of about similar size.

Heikki

Nov 23, 2011 at 05:36 AM
hkurkela
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · *video* Ultimate tripod head - Eki Pro MF

Took me this long to finally be able to used my new tripod head for the first time in real "field conditions”.

Before sunrise this morning I parked my car nearby one lake and carefully carried my heavy load onto the moist & soft grounded shore line. My heavy combo today was as pictured above: two cameras attached to EKI Pro MF on a GT5541. One camera with 400mm f/2.8 & the other one with a 70-200mm. Believe me this is HEAVY system to carry around - perhaps next time I will locate a baby trolley to help me move around

Once at the shore line the system on the EKI head worked really well, smooth & light weight, and was a real pleasure to work with, even to capture the fast flying birds with 400mm & TC20 attached.

Heikki

NIKON D700    400.0 mm f/2.8 lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/1250s    2500 ISO    +0.7 EV  

NIKON D700    400.0 mm f/2.8 lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/1000s    3200 ISO    +0.7 EV  

NIKON D700    400.0 mm f/2.8 lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/1250s    3200 ISO    +0.7 EV  

NIKON D700    400.0 mm f/2.8 lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/1250s    10000 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Dec 03, 2011 at 08:08 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · *video* Ultimate tripod head - Eki Pro MF

hkurkela wrote:
Lens swapping and balancing is very easy. Fine tuning of Z axis is, in my opinion, a matter of taste & preference (reach vs balance) and of course done the quickest if the lenses are of about similar size.

Heikki

i can't say i'm at all in agreement with that. with moving objects a fully nulled out gimble setup is your best friend.

BH55/Sidekick/TVC33 support combination at ~500mm (300/2.8x1.7). makes for easier tracking speedy objects.

Dec 03, 2011 at 08:46 PM
hkurkela
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · *video* Ultimate tripod head - Eki Pro MF

sjms:
I might have misunderstood your question.
Please have a look yourself how I use this head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s6jYLYGrFI

Heikki

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:35 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password