Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

jaehoppa
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

i found a lens that I really want to buy on ebay but the seller is in japan.
I live in US and the lens costs about $1350.
Would I be charged any tax or import fees,etc? if so, about how much?
i've never bought anything from overseas so I have no clue.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 16, 2011 at 09:41 PM
borderlight
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

Continue your cluelessness. It's too risky, too complicated, and almost guaranteed that some glitch will surface that you didn't count on. Maybe it's OK for transactions under $50, but not a lens for $1350. Plenty of deals in the USA. Buy American! .... Japanese lenses bought and sold by real Americans right here in America.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:41 PM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.1 #3 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

the lens is almost impossible to find in America, that's why..

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:54 AM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #4 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

I bought some cheap triggers from China which arrived in less than 10 days. I've also bought other misc. small items from off-shore sellers and not had a problem.

My main concern with buying a lens or other high-dollar merchandise from overseas is how the insurance would be handled in the event of a claim. You might check with your CC company to see if they offer any sort of remedy in case the lens arrives damaged or is lost in shipment.

Nov 17, 2011 at 01:35 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #5 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

Here are some experiences dealing with oversees transactions:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/archive/index.php/t-74602.html

As you can see the answers range all over the place. You must rely on the eBay seller rating, and the shipper they choose. You didn't mention if it was a reputable company or private individual, an auction or "buy now", or even what the "impossible to find in America" lens is. Only you have those answers. We can only guess. I think most responders here would err on the side of caution.

Nov 17, 2011 at 02:05 AM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.1 #6 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

i'm buying the lens from "matsuiyastore" who has over 11,000 positive feedbacks.
I just got an answer from the seller saying, from his experience there would be no import fees/tax. I bought it with "buy now".

Nov 17, 2011 at 02:14 AM
eos-m42guy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

Joe - I purchased a Nikon AIS lens from Matsuiyastore several years ago and it was an excellent transaction. Received the lens in less than two weeks and it was exactly as described. I'd buy from them again without hesitation. Good folks.

... Don

Nov 17, 2011 at 02:39 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

I hope you'll report back on the experience since I've had similar questions. I buy manual focus Nikon gear and often see really clean lenses overseas. I hesitate for reasons similar to your... are there duties to pay and is it safe. I'd love to hear about your experience once the lens is in your hands. Thanks.

Nov 18, 2011 at 07:04 AM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.1 #9 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

CGrindahl wrote:
I hope you'll report back on the experience since I've had similar questions. I buy manual focus Nikon gear and often see really clean lenses overseas. I hesitate for reasons similar to your... are there duties to pay and is it safe. I'd love to hear about your experience once the lens is in your hands. Thanks.

i will definitely let you know.
i just paid for the lens today and actually they shipped the lens within like half an hour. I was very surprised at how quick that was.

Nov 18, 2011 at 08:15 AM
unclechuck
• • •
p.1 #10 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

Impressive FB --- that many transactions and no negative. Usually they find an idiot at some point. Very interested in how this works for you.

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

I am perhaps a bit too late with my feedback, but based on three lenses I bought from Matsuiyastore in the past 12 months, I think they are by far the best used gear seller anywhere.

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:52 AM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.1 #12 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

WOW I ordered the lens on the 17th (thursday 6pm) and it arrived at my house yesterday. I was just checking the tracking to see if it left japan but to my surprise it arrived yesterday. Thats 4 days with the weekend. Cant wait to go home and check out the lens!

Nov 23, 2011 at 01:27 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

No hang up with customs? No fee? Inquiring minds want to know...

This is looking pretty sweet!

Nov 23, 2011 at 09:58 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #14 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

jaehoppa,

plus one to Curtis' inquiry about taxes? duties? import fees? I'm looking to get a Nikon F6.

tony

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:11 PM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.1 #15 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

Hey guys. I didnt get any notices regarding customs/taxes/fees. I did notice that the seller put the item value as $270 on the form attached to the box and it says used lens. I'm just happy that it got here so quick and the lens is in pristine condition. Highly recommended.

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:32 AM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #16 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

thank you, jaehoppa, very useful feedback

tony

Nov 24, 2011 at 02:00 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

Very impressed... now I need to find something to buy...

Nov 24, 2011 at 02:08 AM
400d
• • •
p.1 #18 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

In my experience the US custom is rather kind to inbound items. They probably won't give it a second look unless they see the word "FOOD".

Nov 24, 2011 at 07:42 PM
eos-m42guy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

Glad to hear about the great service and super quick delivery. Enjoy your new 'toy'.

Just out of curiosity, which lens did you buy? Possibly the 70-180 micro? I know they had one about that price.

... Don

Nov 25, 2011 at 01:45 AM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.1 #20 · buying a lens from Japan on ebay?

no i bought the contax n 85mm lens. can't wait to try it out on my n digital.

Nov 25, 2011 at 05:54 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password