Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

lisy78
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

center is SOOC, left and right are processed.

How do the skintones look to you in the processed versions?

Any ohter comments on the processing are of course welcome.

http://www.disciascio.com/misc/fm/process.jpg

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:46 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

Left looks fine. A bit orange, but acceptable. The right looks way off.

Cut some of the magenta shadows in the left. (imo)

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:48 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

SOOC looks best to me...

Nov 16, 2011 at 01:01 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

SOOC for me as well.

- trr

Nov 16, 2011 at 01:04 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

Oh, SOOC for me too. I thought you just wanted opinions on the other two.

Nov 16, 2011 at 01:14 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

my very first thought was "MIDDLE LOOKS BEST" before i read anything about the post (or anyone's response). going back and looking at it again, "MIDDLE LOOKS BEST". maybe just pull back the exposure 1/2 stop and you are gold.

Nov 16, 2011 at 01:18 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

I quite like both left and sooc. It depends on what the light was like AND what other shots will be around it in the sequence and/or album.

Nov 16, 2011 at 01:24 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

left for me with and move the WB slider about 800deg. to the left.
The SOOC to me is a typical Nikon crappo looking file. I of course do NOT mean it looks like crap but the left shot, to me, is 100x better.

Nov 16, 2011 at 01:50 PM
Nick Nishizaka
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

Middle looks best to me as well.

Nov 16, 2011 at 01:54 PM
jneilosu
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

hardlyboring wrote:
left for me with and move the WB slider about 800deg. to the left.
The SOOC to me is a typical Nikon crappo looking file. I of course do NOT mean it looks like crap but the left shot, to me, is 100x better.

NOT helping my urge to try the other side of the fence!

Nov 16, 2011 at 01:55 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

I feel like this...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/001/384/Atrapitis.gif

Nov 16, 2011 at 01:55 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

jneilosu wrote:
NOT helping my urge to try the other side of the fence!

Well take my word with a grain of salt. Many others really like the Nikon files better. I for one cannot stand them. Nikon's files are their #1 downfall to me. Canon files are just easier to edit and require less fussing period. That ONLY applies to colors etc. I can push and pull my Nikon files much better without loosing shadow or highlight detail.
To me nothing beats a good old 5Dc file.

Nov 16, 2011 at 01:58 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

Doug you are crazy.

And that Nikon file is overexposed and probably not using the appropriate WB setting, for starters. My Nikon files are so much easier to edit, in every way, than my Canon files used to be.

Granted, I'm comparing to 5D II, I haven't edited a 5Dc file in a loooong time.

Nov 16, 2011 at 02:36 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

I happen to agree with Doug.

I loved a LOT of shots SOOC from the 5DC and a handful of SOOC files from the 5D2 ... but to date I have not had a single Nikon file I liked SOOC, this one included.

Most of all the shots (5DC, 5D2, Nikon) were shot on AutoWB.

Oh and as to all the "MIDDLE ONE" comments... now I know how one of our UK buddies felt when during an editing session I'd tell him after he edited an image for 5 minutes... that I liked the SOOC version better.

Yeah not sure what the heck I did that caused the Magenta-ish cast. That's not part of the edit... I must have screwed something up while trying to combine the three.

Nov 16, 2011 at 02:41 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

Doug/Ale, have you had any success in getting better images SOOC by loading updated picture controls from Nikon and/or tweaking the settings?

Nov 16, 2011 at 03:25 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

I happen to be looking at these on an uncalibrated office monitor. On this screen, the skin tones of the two color versions look nearly identical. The middle image appears somewhat less sharp, and the water and sky are obviously more blue. In the leftmost (SOOC) image, the skin tones appear very slightly more orange/red -- that's the only skin-tone difference I can see here. Neither version looks inappropriate on this monitor -- they both look good as far as the skin tones go.

The blues in the middle image, however, appear much more natural and pleasing, at least on this screen.

Finally, on this screen, the B&W version appears a bit over-exposed (e.g., shirts appear almost completely blown out) and therefore the skin tones seem a bit bright and low-contrast. Again, this is on an uncalibrated crap-heap monitor. You know, the kind your clients are using.

Nov 16, 2011 at 04:04 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

Just to be clear...
What was the point of this exercise...?
I mean it is good and I certainly hoped what I said mattered but what is up for debate is purely personal preference.
Anyway
Nikon files are fine. Both companies have good points and bad points and it was not my motive to start a debate. I just happen to prefer/spend less time editing my 5Dc files.

Nov 16, 2011 at 04:06 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

hardlyboring wrote:
Just to be clear...
What was the point of this exercise...?
I mean it is good and I certainly hoped what I said mattered but what is up for debate is purely personal preference.
Anyway
Nikon files are fine. Both companies have good points and bad points and it was not my motive to start a debate. I just happen to prefer/spend less time editing my 5Dc files.

the point of the exercise, as you uncovered, is that I continue to struggle with getting a *look* I like from the Nikon bodies. The 5D2 wasn't all that much better but the 5DC was a dream... if I was shooting that body today I'd probably just shoot JPG all day long. So I'm putzing around with presets, calibration, photoshop after the fact stuff.. to try and get to something I like.

After looking at the images for some time I decided I"d lost perspective and wanted to see if the skintone color loooked fine to someone who hadn't been staring at the same darn image for hours. Clearly I was right in my assumption that my brain was fooling me because I NEVER noticed the strong red/magenta cast in the leftmost image until someone here mentioned it

Nov 16, 2011 at 04:14 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

I will say the same thing to everyone that I have been thinking and was about to post in the VSCMMBSNVS thread.
We are wedding photographers and our color control is important but not absolute. Processing from most people on FM (that are serious wedding togs) is relatively clean. The rest is up to personal preference. I always go for warm skin tones and an overall resemblance to what the actual scene looked like when I was there. Others may prefer a cooler tone or a mix...
I think both of the color shots look fine... I just PREFER the left one because if I were going to do it that is how I would edit it (well pretty close to that).
After seeing a lot of your work Ale it appears to me that you prefer a very very vibrant outcome. Skin tones generally look good to me and life like for the settings. Your colors have always popped and I think that is akin to your market (florida). So ya, technically for your brand you could go with either one and be fine.
I struggle with the same stuff you mentioned above but after a while just get a nice acceptable image and then move on because I do not have time to worry about fussing around you know.
I have recently changed up my presets slightly to bring in a little something different and to match some of the film I am shooting but it is subtle. Do clients know...HELL NO. They don't care as long as they look good. If they are not nuked with processing they will love the shot whether it is the right or left one (and that is speaking holistically about your stuff). If you showed them two shots they might go back and forth all day but if you give them one they will take it for what it is and sleep tight.
JMO but that is at least what goes through my mind when I run into situations like you are experiencing.
I also then find myself praying that Canon will release a 3D while simultaneously praying that Nikon will fix their files and that the 35G will magically focus faster

Nov 16, 2011 at 04:56 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · your thoughts on this woudl be very appreciated.

Basically Ale, I'd like to see the SOOC with the definition and tone [not color] of the left version. I think that'd be the winner.

Nov 16, 2011 at 05:51 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.