Focal Length 200 mm
ISO Speed 800
Exposure Bias 0 EV

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:33 PM
penpro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Half hour in the Humber arboretum

And I think this one came out reasonably well too.

Robin / PEN_4854 by PEN Productions / Paul Neale, on Flickr

Nikon D7000 | 18-200 | 1/2000 | f/9.0 | 200 mm | 0 EV

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:53 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Half hour in the Humber arboretum

Of the four shots 2&3 work best for me compositionally. The first and last shots of the Robin are composed with it "dead" center in the frame.

In the first the body is angled vertically and seen at a nice 3D rendering oblique angle. I'd suggest cropping out the clump of berries in the upper left corner, moving the head of the bird up around the upper left "thirds" intersection for less static look.

In the last part of the static feel, despite the nice action, is due to the fact the body and the bird and the frame both wind up horizontal. You might want to try rotating the image so the bird is an an angle. Even a slight change in inclination will have an impact how it "reads".

Every year like clockwork a huge flock of Robins show up in my No. Virginia yard in January to strip every berry and cherry of our Holly and Cherry trees. More often than not their timing is lousy, arriving after one of our infrequent snow storms...

http://super.nova.org/TP/Robins.jpg

Nov 16, 2011 at 01:11 PM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Half hour in the Humber arboretum

They were doing the same where I was, just no snow.

Here is another.

PEN_4892 by PEN Productions / Paul Neale, on Flickr

D7000 | 18-200 | 1/1000 | f/9.0 | 200 mm | ISO 800 | 0 EV

Nov 16, 2011 at 03:34 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Half hour in the Humber arboretum

Looks like framing using Chuck's suggestions. Yes? Works very well.
These shots are done very well technically, with good exposure and preservation of the whites, good detail and nice sharpness around the eye. Especially the first two. Colors look good as well. I'd cross-post some to the Nature/Wildlife Forum, where quality is often disturbingly high!
First is a bit centered, but I think it works very well. You have the bird forming a nice diagonal across the frame, pointing to the small cluster of berries upper left. If that corner were busier, I dont think the image would work as well.
Second is nice but a bit more static presentation. More documentary and perhaps a bit less artistic. Seems a bit more soft around the eye. Maybe some selective sharpening.
Third doesnt work quite as well, compared to the second or the first. The head is pointed off in its own direction, without relating to the frame or suggesting another subject. The OOF branches detract a bit.
Fourth is a great action capture. I agree with Chuck's suggestions about centering, rotating the image,
Last image is nice, despite the shadow across the body and head. It feels dynamic. The background is beautiful and clean. Maybe a bit more highlight recovery. To perfect, a capture with the bird's head rotated more to the plane of the camera. But this a nit in a fine composition.
Good stuff!
Scott

Nov 16, 2011 at 07:28 PM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Half hour in the Humber arboretum

Thanks for the input. I will try rotating the one, see what I can get out of it. As for sharpening I have done a fair amount in all shots. the 18-200 is anything but crisp at the extremes and I need to work it a fair bit. All have had selective sharpening done on the bird as well as masked high pass layer.

Thanks again to both of you for the comprehensive input. And you right Scott, the Nature and Wildlife forum is disturbingly high quality. I thank you for suggesting that my work is ready for that forum but I think I will hold off until the work is up to standards.

I would like to pick up a better lens, I think that I will start with a 70-200 2.8 so at least my long end is sharper. Just need to save some loonies and twonies for a while and maybe I can convince the wife that I can spend the money on one.

Nov 16, 2011 at 07:50 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.