New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Make way...+ two preceding frames

Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Make way...+ two preceding frames

Appreciate your thoughts on composition and processing. The lines and rhythm strike me as interesting.

The ball carrier was a battering ram, breaking multiple tackle attempts several times.

Regards,

Bob

Edited on Nov 14, 2011 at 09:02 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2011 at 07:24 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Make way...+ two preceding frames

You're there.
Your long journey to nail sports action has come to a great vantage point.
Great expressions and action. The fuller DOF has enabled sharp capture of several of the closest players. The toning appeals to me and gives it a timeless feel. Framing/crop looks just right.
You nailed it!!

Scott

Nov 13, 2011 at 07:28 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Make way...+ two preceding frames

I'm with Scott ...

For those who remember some of your very early ones, this one definitely captures the spirit you have been shooting for ... timelessly well done.

Just glad I'm not #17.

Nov 13, 2011 at 08:23 PM
pinn8
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Make way...+ two preceding frames

I like this image a lot. Two players -- 17 & 4 -- create a nice frame for the man with the ball. The other players look like spectators, which enhances the focus on your subject. Nice shot!

Nov 13, 2011 at 09:22 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Make way...+ two preceding frames

Nice capture. Sunlit faces look darker than I'd expect them to be. Tried a Levels middle slider adjustment and they looked more natural to me at around 1.15 (i.e.. slider moved to the left a bit)

Nov 14, 2011 at 05:05 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Make way...+ two preceding frames

Last is great as well.
Next to last is very good. But points off for cutting off some of the heads.

Your technique has improved dramatically!
Scott

Nov 14, 2011 at 09:42 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Make way...+ two preceding frames

sbeme wrote:
Last is great as well.
Next to last is very good. But points off for cutting off some of the heads.

Your technique has improved dramatically!
Scott

Thanks Scott,

Yup - off with their heads! Need to revisit crop, not sure whether room is there or not.

I think a good portion of the improvement is attributable to changing my vantage point so most of the action was coming at me, either head-on or at a diagonal where previously action was generally perpendicular to line of sight - lots of backs and butts. Too, this is the 5th match so my familiarity with the game resulted in more productive anticipation.

At one time I had thought of youth/rec sports, but after reading about others' encounters with overly protective or paranoid parents, I opted for a less confrontational venue, and I can freely roam the sidelines.

I'm told at the conclusion of a match, a player, who scored his first 'try' in competition, runs some distance (from mid-field?) to the goal line and back sans shorts and other gear - have not been present to witness that, but will spare the forum should that occur.

Regards,

Bob

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:24 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Make way...+ two preceding frames

The other shots also work quite well when cropped to isolate the action and remove distractions.

http://super.nova.org/EDITS/Rubby1.jpg
http://super.nova.org/EDITS/Rugby2.jpg

The background action in these two isn't as dramatic as in the first shot, which I'd guess is part of the reason you selected it for initial posting, but in the thing I don't like in the first is the guy on the left with his back turned going against the flow and having his feet chopped off by the crop becoming more of a distraction than an effective framing element in the composition.

I don't mind the head being cropped off the shot above because it doesn't seem that unusual; we see that in portraits and it looks OK when the eye placement in in the upper 1/3 and there is good overall balance. Here the focal point of the action in in the foreground in the upper 1/3 and the guy in the background isn't that important to the understanding of the action. All things considered it works better for me to see his face in the first shot and have the top of the head cut off vs. how his face is hidden in the second.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:55 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.