New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Sparrow

penpro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sparrow

Nothing to exciting but any comments about exposure, cropping or processing are very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

PEN_4087 by PEN Productions / Paul Neale, on Flickr

Nov 13, 2011 at 01:34 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sparrow

Its an interesting shot. Detail looks excellent. Pose is perfect and the eye is sharp.
Colors seem appropriately subdued and are pleasing.
To me the main question is the crop. A bit unusual as a square crop (which I like) and the bird is a bit more centered than I would generally do. But you have interesting framing with a series of triangles formed by the branches, echoing the triangle formed by his legs. And he seems to be sitting in a neat little house outlined by the angular branches above. All in all, this makes for an unusual but interesting composition. It keeps me looking returning to the image, discovering a bit more.
I dont know how you got here, and if there are other variations that work. In an ideal world I'd have the bird a bit more to the right, a bit less of the busy branches on the far left, and still try to do the square crop and triangles. But these are nits.
Scott

Nov 13, 2011 at 07:45 PM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sparrow

Thanks for the helpful input. When I crop I try not to follow the rules to much and go with what feels right. One issue is this is already cropped a lot so getting rid of the left branches would have left a very small image so I tried to leave it in. I hope it works.

I have had to do a fair amount of sharpening with an unsharp mask on the bird as well I did a touch more blur on the rest of the image just to make it pop off a bit more. Is that working?

I will see if there is another crop in there.

Nov 13, 2011 at 08:03 PM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sparrow

I was just corrected that this is a Thrush and not a Sparrow. What do I know, I just take the pictures:S

Nov 14, 2011 at 01:13 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.