Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2011 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very ...

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very nice with 5D3 going pro body features)

"Won't be using the same sensor - 5D3 is evolutionary, but 1Ds4 is seen as big jump. Designed to complement each other.

24MP
Pro grade AF (not 7D like)
2 stops better ISO than 5D mk II
Digic V
6 fps
New video codec, not Raw but MPEG 4:2:2
New video functions such as tracking focus in Video mode
Compact body with improved weather sealing
Same introduction price as the predecessor
"
for the rest see:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d3.html

I have to say that would sound pretty awesome IF Digic V is fast enough to properly scale video off the entire sensor, however I'm a bit wondering if it could. It coudl surely do way more than 6fps, then again they may be limited by the mirror box this time hopefully and not by processing speed, a faster than 6fps FF mirror box starts adding probably a $200 for every extra fps I'd take a wild guess at.

Ideally I'd have it 28MP for more reach, 24 doesn't really give one anything new there. But I really like the finally hitting 6.3fps! and really like the talk of full on 1 series level AF! And if the stops better DR/SNR is real at the RAW level and not just more of the due to the new JPG engine garbage, well that would be nice too! So if the thing can only manage to finally sample video properly, this really sounds pretty dang awesome!

However, it also sounds incredibly, almost exactly to every last detail (minus the mention of proper video scaling which wasn't mentioned either way), like the wish lists I have posting all over for the last few years so it is quite likely someone just copied my list or, even more likely, simply had the same thoughts and sent it in as a rumor as not once before have the arriving cams ever matched any of my wish lifts before hah.

Edited on Sep 15, 2011 at 04:59 PM · View previous versions

Sep 15, 2011 at 04:20 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very nice with 5D3 going pro body features)

they also have 1ds4 specs

the two sets do make sense, crazy high MP for 1Ds and then they can go lower MP but much more body performance for 5D3, but again, this all makes too much sense and matches too closely what I'd been saying for a few years to be true

it also makes sense that the 1Ds might have less featured video since 54MP would be super hard to scale properly at video speed

it's a little odd they brag a bit more about DR and 16bits RAW for 1Ds4 more than 5D3 since you'd think they'd want that tech in the 5D3 but maybe it makes it hard to read out the sensor fast enough for video or

anyway just rumors

Sep 15, 2011 at 04:26 PM
artsupreme
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very nice with 5D3 going pro body features)

I've been saying it will be 24MP all along, I'm hoping that's the magic number. I doubt they will put pro AF in the 5D, I would guess more like 7D AF. I also HIGHLY doubt it will be 2 stops better than the 5DII, I'd say realistically .75-1 stop better at best. 6FPS? I doubt that too, but it would be nice. Maybe 5??

Sep 15, 2011 at 04:26 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very nice with 5D3 going pro body features)

artsupreme wrote:
I've been saying it will be 24MP all along, I'm hoping that's the magic number. I doubt they will put pro AF in the 5D, I would guess more like 7D AF. I also HIGHLY doubt it will be 2 stops better than the 5DII, I'd say realistically .75-1 stop better at best. 6FPS? I doubt that too, but it would be nice. Maybe 5??

If they make your version I think they may get more grumbling.

So I've been saying all along that if they go crazy high MP for 1Ds then they can be free to let the 5D series ride up to 6.3fps (1D is protected by having 10fps and the 5 series still not at the critical 8fps point, where it first insures that in most sequences you can get two key frames, although 6.3fps at least hits the absolute min to be reasonable for action where you can sometimes get two key frames) and get full on pro-AF.

I mean Nikon has been doing that for years. Canon might be in trouble this time if it is another 5fps, barely any better DR, pseudo 7D AF. I mean Nikon already has a 5D-like body with their best AF effort and 5-7fps, they already have cams coming out with 2 stops better DR than any Canon. All they are missing is doubling the MP on the D700 which everyone has to imagine they are planning to do by now.

I don't think Canon can afford to be same old conservative again. 6.3fps, 1 series AF, 2 stops better DR really isn't anything that shocking for this day and age to expect, although with how they have been acting it might be granted but the 7D might have showed the first hints of pushing things again.

Edited on Sep 15, 2011 at 04:58 PM · View previous versions

Sep 15, 2011 at 04:46 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very nice with 5D3 going pro body features)

artsupreme wrote:

well it could easily be two stops better low ISO DR, sony and nikon already do that, if not more

2 stops better SNR at high ISO might be trickier though

Sep 15, 2011 at 04:47 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very nice with 5D3 going pro body features)

Use your common sense when reading it, and remember that it's here for entertainment as much as anything else. If you feel you need a dose of something more earnest and serious then do pay a visit to our (rumour free) articles and reviews.

Sep 15, 2011 at 05:02 PM
john_edwards
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very nice with 5D3 going pro body features)

Not sure why they would want to jump to such a high (54mp) count in MPs, but the on/off electronic switch for moire with no by pass filter sure makes me think something is either amiss or way interesting. Just need to win one of those $10,000 scratch offs.
John

Sep 15, 2011 at 05:09 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very nice with 5D3 going pro body features)

Skibum I hope you are right because these specs would result in a near "perfect" camera for many including myself...I would buy two of them and could see myself using them for another 5-7 years before wanting to upgrade. What more do you really need at this point? But I just don't see Canon giving us everything we want in a compact FF body. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Sep 15, 2011 at 05:13 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very nice with 5D3 going pro body features)

artsupreme wrote:
Skibum I hope you are right because these specs would result in a near "perfect" camera for many including myself...I would buy two of them and could see myself using them for another 5-7 years before wanting to upgrade. What more do you really need at this point? I just don't see Canon giving us everything we want in a compact FF body. Let's hope I'm wrong.

let's hope

I see that CR has gotten this and given it but a 0.5 rating! Which means that it probably WILL be true then .

(honestly it makes a lot more sense than lots of stuff they gave CR1 so not sure why the CR 0.5)

but if as they say you judge things by past behavior then they have to be false, unless we are talking Canon circa 10-20 years ago

Edited on Sep 15, 2011 at 05:48 PM · View previous versions

Sep 15, 2011 at 05:14 PM
khphotography
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very nice with 5D3 going pro body features)

Also makes sense as it would not merge the 1D and 1Ds series which honestly make absolutely no sense.

I could see an AF system between the 7D and 1D for the 5D. It would make the most sense and then you'd see the 7D Mark II have that same AF eventually.

Sep 15, 2011 at 05:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very nice with 5D3 going pro body features)

Digic V is out and Canon says it is 6x faster (not clear at what though).
That might be just barely enough to deliver an entire 24MP chip properly downscaled to 1920x1080x24p video. If so, the quality of video should soar. No more moire, aliasing, much better resolution and less noise.

Sep 15, 2011 at 05:57 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very nice with 5D3 going pro body features)

54MP? So that will be file sizes in the 60Mb+ region. I guess if you can afford the camera you can also afford a box of 64Gb CF cards and a Petabyte storage array for home.

Sep 15, 2011 at 06:05 PM
Dergiman
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very nice with 5D3 going pro body features)

IMHO this is the first plausible rumor recently. Just think about the target market for all those cameras. Canon is competing with 80 MPix Phase One cameras and 200 MP Hasselblad multishot backs too, i doubt that Canon wants to abandon the top photo segment just so. 56MP is about the maximum that is reasonable in a 35mm camera. I guess somebody in Canon thought they should release something new photographers could actually benefit from. 56MP gives you so much better gradation in tones (like 4x5") and combined with 16bit and with optional AA-filter one could actually see a noticable improvement in image quality.

Better video specs on a 5d3 are also reasonable as long as there is no large EF large sensor camcorder.

Sep 15, 2011 at 06:15 PM
khphotography
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very nice with 5D3 going pro body features)

I believe uncompressed raw files from the D3x are already in that range.

Sep 15, 2011 at 06:21 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very nice with 5D3 going pro body features)

4:2:2 video? Makes me doubt the rest of the specs...

Sep 15, 2011 at 06:23 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very nice with 5D3 going pro body features)

If this were even slightly true, I'd be a completely happy camper assuming the images have lots of depth. They'd be taking the much more desirable path of Nikon with similar capabilities like focus and only have the MP difference.

Sep 15, 2011 at 06:23 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very nice with 5D3 going pro body features)

They've been predicting these specs for a long time. I've come to believe it's a waste of time getting your hopes up at all. How many release dates have we heard saying that they're going to be a 2011 release? Now they are saying 2012.

Wake me up when it gets exciting.

Sep 15, 2011 at 06:33 PM
keithdunlop
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very nice with 5D3 going pro body features)

skibum5 wrote:
New video functions such as tracking focus in Video mode

I'll be curious to see if they can actually make this work. Nikon tried and failed with this feature in the D7000.

Sep 15, 2011 at 06:43 PM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very nice with 5D3 going pro body features)

15Bit wrote:
54MP? So that will be file sizes in the 60Mb+ region. I guess if you can afford the camera you can also afford a box of 64Gb CF cards and a Petabyte storage array for home.

Absolutely ridiculous, who in their right mind would buy a box of CF cards??

Sep 15, 2011 at 06:56 PM
khphotography
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5D3 (and 1Ds4) specs rumor on NL (sound potentially very nice with 5D3 going pro body features)

Canon should just introduce a 1 TB hard drive that is portable exclusively for the camera

Sep 15, 2011 at 07:39 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password