Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Portable Power Build

Ray Still
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Portable Power Build

Did the research and these are the parts I opted for I realize most use the 600 watt converter but I figured I rather be safe than sorry.

Should have everything at my doorstep by the end of Monday night, minus the mounting cart.

Also not list have an ANL 250amp fuse holder.

If the bottom compartment is large enough for the battery going to go with the Stanley Rolling mobile cart with wheels Walmart sells for $20.00.

Here is what I have so far, hoping ( and it should) be able to fire 4-5 Westcott 300 Watt strobes.

Ray Still

Edited on Sep 11, 2011 at 05:30 PM · View previous versions

Sep 11, 2011 at 05:27 PM
Ray Still
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Portable Power Build

And the Stanley Rolling Cart

Sep 11, 2011 at 05:29 PM
Roland W
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Portable Power Build

Have you made your way through the old thread that detailed problems and issues with building portable battery powered inverter units to run strobes? If not, you should, because there were a lot of inverters that people tried that would not work because the initial in rush draw of a strobe is so high. Many inverters just kick in their protection, and sit there waiting for you to remove the overload and reset the circuit. And even inverters with high wattage ratings often did that.

Sounds like you have ordered things all ready, but the new portable power pack from Paul Buff should be looked at by anyone that is interested in portable power for strobes. It is made to handle most strobes with the high in rush. The price is reasonable, and the lithium battery makes for a very light weight system. The Buff unit will not run all strobes because a few still have too high of an in rush current, but it will run most. In your case you may need a couple of units to run like 2 strobes per system, but it is still worth the look to see if it is a better way to go.

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:58 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Portable Power Build

You don't say what strobes you have but that inverter will work perfectly for just about anything. I use a 600 watt unit and it's plenty for 2 600 watt Elinchrom strobes or more with very fast recycle times. I use a 125 amp fuse and that should be plenty for you also. Your battery is way overkill unless you don't care about the weight or want about 10,000 shots! I started with a 20 amp battery and that works great but it was a little heavy. Now I use a 12 amp battery and it works fine also.

Sep 12, 2011 at 01:42 AM
Littlebike
• • •
p.1 #5 · Portable Power Build

"the initial in rush draw of a strobe is so high. Many inverters just kick in their protection, and sit there waiting for you to remove the overload and reset the circuit."

I am a bit late for this party so I apologize if this has been discussed already.

Is the overload due to the inverter wanting more power(amps) than the battery can supply or is it overloading the inverter (beyond the peak load limit)? If it is the prior, would putting a CAP between the battery and the inverter give the inverter all the power it could ever want for the initial rush?

They do it with high power amplifiers in cars all the time.

I have several uses for a battery system beyond photography, (powering laptop/telescope in remote locations, camping, etc) thus I am finally researching this.

I am looking in the 1000w range too.

Nov 09, 2011 at 04:27 AM
DWill

p.1 #6 · Portable Power Build

That's way overkill in my opinion. I put together a portable power supply to power a Photogenic PL1250 that consisted of the following items and on full power I average 150 pops.

300watts Samlex Inverter
18amh Lead Sealed Battery
Battery Tender Plus Charger
8 gauge wire
Vagabond Bag.

Nov 09, 2011 at 02:13 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #7 · Portable Power Build

For that kind of money and weight you could just buy a used Honda EU2000i generator. It's smaller, lighter, will run for 8 hours of shooting, and has a ton of other uses.

Nov 09, 2011 at 02:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hondageek
• • •
p.1 #8 · Portable Power Build

... or you could buy a few VMLs and spare batteries.

Nov 09, 2011 at 02:29 PM
400d
• • •
p.1 #9 · Portable Power Build

Well, I did manage to kill the old version of AIMS 180W/120V/12V pure sine inverter with the Broncolor Opus A4 (3200Ws) at "10" power setting (max. output), after 8 pops or so. The Samlex 600W/120V/24V PST-60S-24A seems to handle max. output fairly well, current draw peaked <40A on the DC side, the battery is a 8S1P LiFePO4 10Ah pack. I wouldn't shoot continuously at max. output on my 600W inverter however. Since my setup is 24V, 6AWG wire seems to be adequate.

Thinking to get the 1kW/220V/24V Chinese made pure sine inverter from ebay later, probably gonna rig that up with a 8S1P LiFePO4 16Ah pack. It's likely the inverter will blow up though. Furthermore, this requires the power pack to be 220V as well, I have no idea if this will work with Bron's multi-voltage (100V-240V) pack. The most ideal configuration seems to be 24VDC-240VAC-maximum efficiency!

And to OP, http://tinyurl.com/6wlsphv the Anderson 120 is a good fit for your setup, and they are cheaper on ebay. 100Ah is indeed overkill for the 1kW inverter, 1200Wh @ 65lb! I looked at that Stanley case in person, not too sure it will handle your 80lb load..it might fall apart after a while. The internal fuses for the 1kW inverter is 4x40A, so the external fuse should have the same or lower amperage of the internal fuses, otherwise, if there's an overload the internal fuse would blow first.

Nov 09, 2011 at 02:36 PM
Littlebike
• • •
p.1 #10 · Portable Power Build

@dwill
have you tried to run more than on pl1250 off that system?

I have four 1250dr lights, I would like to power at least two, three to four would be better.

Nov 10, 2011 at 03:37 AM
DWill

p.1 #11 · Portable Power Build

Littlebike wrote:
@dwill

I have four 1250dr lights, I would like to power at least two, three to four would be better.

Unfortunately no as this was my first and only strobe....lol !!!

Nov 10, 2011 at 02:01 PM
400d
• • •
p.1 #12 · Portable Power Build

Littlebike wrote:
@dwill

Bummer, I used to have 2 Studiomax III 320, 2 600SL, 1 PL1250DR generator and head, 1 Solair PL1000DR, sold them all a month ago. The 180W/120V/12V Aims inverter works fine with the Studiomax and 600SL. Haven't tried the Solair on the 180W, it might kill it like my Opus A4. The 600W/120V/24V Samlex works fine with the PL1000DR, I wouldn't stress the combo at max. output for an extended period of time however. I also have a 300W/120V/24V Samlex, I think it works with the PL1000DR, from what I remember it would fire a few shots, depending on the battery and wiring, the PL1000DR might crash when it recycles and the AC voltage drops too low. The digital (DR) version is easier to crash. I'd say it's better to go with the 600W model for 2 or more PL1250.

Nov 10, 2011 at 03:01 PM
HappyCamp
• • •
p.1 #13 · Portable Power Build

hondageek wrote:
For that kind of money and weight you could just buy a used Honda EU2000i generator. It's smaller, lighter, will run for 8 hours of shooting, and has a ton of other uses.

+1

Nov 10, 2011 at 05:23 PM
Littlebike
• • •
p.1 #14 · Portable Power Build

400d wrote:
The digital (DR) version is easier to crash. I'd say it's better to go with the 600W model for 2 or more PL1250.

It is unlikely I would need multiple lights at full pop, would be nice however.

I tend to overbuild when I do things - look for my studio thread - and if I do this it will be with a 1000w inverter. It is always better to have more than I need than not have enough - especially where photography is concerned.

I am using all DR lights, too.

Nov 10, 2011 at 10:30 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password