Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7              224       225       end

Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

edwardkaraa wrote:
Don't waste your time. If you can't get that Zeiss pop from the 28 Distagon, no other lens would help.

By the way, I would like to point out that Sony implements a somewhat flat mid-tone curve that plays a big role in the special Sony look in color photographs. Me and other members here suspect it is no good for 3D pop. Canon bodies seem to produce it the most, probably due to their crappy DR

Well I'll give it a shot today on Vivid mode, sunlight looks great.

May 21, 2011 at 01:21 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Carsten -- Nice work on your photo with tone mapping. Hand held? You are a brave man!

I don't want to make more out of the aberrations that I have to. Ideally, I'd like a flat, even image with no barrel or pincushion, and no light fall-off. My next priority is edges -- I like them well defined without any misalignment of color layers (fringing). So I strive to find lenses that have low aberrations or can be easily remedied.

For example, I had a Canon 24mm TS L lens, the original version. It was quite nice, but did have fairly severe color fringing outside of center, which reduced its sharpness. Canon's DPP software did not fix and it wasn't listed for their automated profiles. When I recently got LR3, I found it cleaned up beautifully using the original EF 24/1.4L profile -- fringing, light fall-off and barrel distortion -- all gone. I almost kept it, as I'd had it and used it successfully for many years, but I passed it on and bought the newer version, which is much better in these areas.

Besides being attuned to such influences (largely from an architectural photography background), I think they do show up more on full frame cameras with higher than 12MP. My original 5D was pretty good with nearly 13MP, but this 1Ds2 is much better with nearly 17MP. The 60D is impressive with its 18MP on the small sensor -- I find it superior for detail to the D7000 with its 16MP. Granted, these are small differences, but every little bit helps for resolving details. I'm looking forward to the day I can get 25-30MP routinely.

It is hard to see any defects in these small reproductions. I should make some 100% detail shots, but didn't want to completely innundate the thread. The real message in in the big picture.

I pulled out the Canon 100L and the Nikon 180ED AIS to be ready do some comparisons. First, checking aperture variations on the 80-200.

I will mainly be using handheld at high shutter speed, but obviously anything that will look best with smaller apertures than wide open. Low ISO and slower shutter speeds will require tripod or bracing. I probably won't shoot much below 1/500 handheld, so that would mean higher ISO 200 and nearly wide open -- I'd prefer ISO 100 and f/8, or so. It's a constant trade-off. Is the lens good enough to shoot wide open? That remains to be scene, but based on light fall-off at f/4, I'd say it will perform best near f/8. We'll see. But the wide open testing is very impressive.

Fly -- Ouch! Please don't overdo it with "Vivid" mode. Keep working subjects for contrast, lighting, and focus to produce "pop". In fact, I would advise you to investigate B&W mode and work that until you achieve "pop", then go back to color. I thought several of your shots (more on his Flickr page) were quite good, but I don't know what you have visualized. Good luck!

Ulff -- Wonderful tree!

May 21, 2011 at 02:39 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Does the Contax/Zeiss lens have auto-aperture on the Canon bodies?

It seems to be operating in that way (using the Fotodiox adapter).

Canon owners (or others) may be familiar with this on the 1Ds2 camera or others.

If it is auto-aperture on Canon bodies, that would be outstanding! That's one of my biggest gripes using Nikon AI/AIS lenses!

PS -- I fiddled more with the mounting and unmounting the lens. I seems there is some contact that needs to be confirmed to do stopped-down photos. I can hear the lever engage when it does. I will need to be alert in the mounting procedure, and check in the viewfinder that stopping down is occuring. So, sadly, it seems there is no auto-aperture available.

That's what Alt is all about -- trial and error, and sharing hard won information.

Edited on May 21, 2011 at 04:43 PM · View previous versions

May 21, 2011 at 03:35 PM
fefo.1979
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

contax planar 100/2

May 21, 2011 at 03:40 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Lovely boke in that shot, fefo. How do you like the lens? Have you tried the ZF/ZE 100 MP?

Great tree shot, Ulff!

Jim, very interesting comments! Clearly you are a lot more dedicated to pulling out all the stops in your process than I am I shoot with a low MP camera (D3: 12MP), mostly handheld, and aim for a pleasing image on the screen, at 1024 pixels on the long dimension

Once I start printing again I might change my tune, however. I plan to print up to A3+ and A2 if I get more seriously into it and want to print more often. Ink is too expensive for my R2400 to be printing a lot. If I want to print A3+ or A2 at max quality, I will probably have to move to a D3x, but then I will need my solid tripod and a lot more attention to workflow to get perfect results. I am kinda delaying the day

May 21, 2011 at 09:10 PM
fefo.1979
• •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

thanks carstenw!
im new here,but now FM is my favourite forum! ..im italian sorry for my poor english!
i had a c/y 35 1.4,wonderful lens
now i only have the planar 100/2 contax (aeg version west germany!)im in love!!!
i tried for a year the ef135L,yes it have AF and other,but not the Zeiss style,imho
for my money the 100mp is too much......

May 21, 2011 at 09:50 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Haha, well the C/Y 100/2 has an amazing reputation, so no need to switch if you don't need the close focusing distance.

Now I am curious why you sold the C/Y 35/1.4?

May 21, 2011 at 09:57 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Here is another shot from Tiergarten, last weekend. ZF21:

May 21, 2011 at 09:57 PM
fefo.1979
• •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

carstenw wrote:
Haha, well the C/Y 100/2 has an amazing reputation, so no need to switch if you don't need the close focusing distance.

Now I am curious why you sold the C/Y 35/1.4?

ehm..because im very stupid! i miss that glass
now i hope to buy another in good state and for less money,if possible
..but is very hard now to find here!

May 21, 2011 at 10:26 PM
Morfeus
• • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Priest, Church of Debre Berhan Selassie, Gondar, Ethiopia

C/Y 50/1.7

May 22, 2011 at 07:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Morfeus
• • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

C/Y 50/1.7

Acolyte, Church of Debre Berhan Selassie, Gondar, Ethiopia by pictorlucis, on Flickr

May 22, 2011 at 11:09 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Gunzorro wrote:
Does the Contax/Zeiss lens have auto-aperture on the Canon bodies?

It seems to be operating in that way (using the Fotodiox adapter).

Canon owners (or others) may be familiar with this on the 1Ds2 camera or others.

If it is auto-aperture on Canon bodies, that would be outstanding! That's one of my biggest gripes using Nikon AI/AIS lenses!

PS -- I fiddled more with the mounting and unmounting the lens. I seems there is some contact that needs to be confirmed to do stopped-down photos. I can hear the lever engage when it does. I will need to be alert in the
...Show more

I guess this should be answered in the FAQ as well. There is NO auto-aperture with ANY adapted lenses on EOS cameras. The aperture control of EOS cameras is fully electronic, not mechanical.
The lever that you hear being engaged may be the AF microswitch. Somewhere between 10 and 11 o' clock inside your camera there's a switch that tells your camera an AF lens is attached, when it's triggered (only present on the 1D(s) series, up to the mkII version).
The microswitch is also the reason why your extension tube didn't work: the tube triggers the switch and the camera then expects to be able to communicate with a lens attached on the other end of the tube. The same thing happens with Canon's teleconverters/extenders.
Different solutions that you can try:
- Use a chipped adapter on the tube.
- Remove the part of the tube (small metal lug somewhere) that triggers the microswitch.
- If you modify the tube to not trigger the switch, you may still need to use a chipped adapter, or alternatively put some tape over the electronic contacts of the tube.

May 22, 2011 at 12:11 PM
Morfeus
• • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Carl Zeiss Planar T 50mm f/1.7

Guide, Lalibela, Ethiopia by pictorlucis, on Flickr

May 22, 2011 at 02:09 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Very nice portrait. I was guessing south Egypt until I saw the title. Was it raining?

Here is another ZF21:

May 22, 2011 at 02:55 PM
Morfeus
• • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Thanks Carsten. Yes, it was raining every afternoon for an hour or so.

Heinz

May 22, 2011 at 03:07 PM
fefo.1979
• •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

carstenw wrote

http://throughthelensdarkly.com/forums/CW_20090628_Contax645_Se54_14120.jpg

i like this carstenw!

and now another contax 100/2

May 22, 2011 at 05:55 PM
Bob955i
• •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Edited on May 24, 2011 at 08:07 PM · View previous versions

May 22, 2011 at 06:22 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Wow, where is that? Scotland? Wales? Lake district?

May 22, 2011 at 06:43 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Some great stuff!

Bob -- Terrific color and compositons, and just amazing scenery. I'm probably wrong, but I guess Norway.

morfeus -- Very dramatic portraits -- great use of that 50mm.

fefo -- More great color and compsitions.

Carsten -- Nice shots. Makes me wish I had moist gloomy conditions for green things! I suppose everyone wishes they had some exotic locale shoot.

AhamB -- Thanks for the refresher on that feature of the Canon 1DS bodies. I remember now, reading about that on another forum a few months back (maybe Dec 2010), as I was checking into the "malfunction" of my 1Ds, before I got the 1Ds2. That explains and sorts out the matter of the extension tube. I'll just avoid it, as I have the 100L Macro to get as close as I want.

And, yes, of course! You are completely right about the auto-aperture, as I found out as I continued to experiment and examine the lens, adapter and camera. . .

The saga continues. . .

The other problem was having to do with the lens acting erratic on closing down.

With the lens off the body, with or without the adapter, the aperture opened and closed to all settings just fine, and the auto-aperture lever worked fine when pushed manually.

On-camera, the lens acted up. Sometimes after mounting, it would stay completely open, as though the auto-aperture lever was engaged. Other times (following many attempts at mounting and re-mounting the lens to the body and fiddling with the adapter), the apertures would engage up to f/11, but not 16 or 22. Other times it was erratic exposure, combined with the effects above. And finally, on some tries, everything worked fine, exactly as you would expect an manual aperture lens to behave.

All those gymnastics have lead me to conclude it is likely a coupling problem caused by the adapter. Some clearance or tolerance needs opening or extending. I've sent Fotodiox an email asking all these questions in detail and asking if I should have a replacement or do a simple fix, or if moving to their Professional model might solve things.

Once it gets working on the body, it is gold. It's just that I've been doing a lot of comparisons to other lenses, so every time it comes off, it is a crap-shoot what will happen when I remount it.

On the positive side. . .

This Zeiss/Contax 80-200/4 lens is AWESOME. Yes, I'm shouting because I'm happy and excited.

I'll post a couple shots here for technical examples, but I do have an awful lot I'll want publish and explain -- somewhere.

First of all, without the examples here to show, the lens compared very well against the Canon 100L at normal distances (non-macro), and the Canon is no slouch all the way to infinity. The Canon is sharper, as you'd expect, and has less light fall-off at wider apertures than this 80-200 at f/4-5.6. I'd say that Canon lens ties with my ZE 21/2.8 at the moment for the title of "sharpest lens" in my collection.

Here are a couple close focus shots (not macro) of the 80-200 alone. All shots taken with 1Ds2, from tripod.

80mm, 1/125 @ f/11, ISO 100

200mm, 1/80 @ f/11

100% detail of the 200mm shot above

Here are two shots of a rose showing how nicely the lens handles extreme contrast of the bright white door in the background, and the resistance to flare into the shadow areas and mid-tones. Nice surrounding edges on the deep red rose. Some sharpening and slight exposure correction, but on color correcting or contrast/saturation adjustment. No defringing of colors -- notice the clean lines with the white edge areas.

80mm, 1/640 @ f/11, ISO 100

200mm, 1/800 @ f/11

Finally (for this reply, anyway!), here is an example of off-center sharpness. Focus was on the antenna.

80mm, 1/200 @ f/11, ISO 200

100% detail

May 22, 2011 at 07:40 PM
Bob955i
• •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Edited on May 24, 2011 at 08:07 PM · View previous versions

May 22, 2011 at 07:53 PM
1       2       3              5      
       7              224       225       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell