Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
  

Archive 2011 · Oly 24/2.8 vs. Zeiss 25/2.8
  
 
Lotusm50
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Oly 24/2.8 vs. Zeiss 25/2.8


RustyBug wrote:
and maybe I should consider the 25 as an infinity specialist (funky bokeh & CF @ close range).



OK. I'm going to disagree. At close range is exactly where I use the ZF25 the most. I have never considered the bokeh to be "funky" or nervous at that range. And unless you are photographing a flat field or doing copy work, the CF isn't necessarily a problem -- just that different things will be in focus across the frame compared to traditional "macro" lens that strives for a more flat field and you can use that to your advantage. I think it produces lovely images close-up -- particularly close-up landscape. Experiment with it and find how you can make it work for you.

Subjectively, I prefer the slightly wider 25mm (25.9mm) view to the 28mm. And it holds dual purpose in my bag, it can be the "infinity specialist" as you say, but then get down and close for some unique and lovely perspectives.




May 04, 2011 at 02:43 PM
RustyBug
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Oly 24/2.8 vs. Zeiss 25/2.8


I do like using my wides @ mfd ... which is what would reduce my interest in a lens that is an infinity specialist ... I figure the C/Y 28/2.8 already covers the infinity application well ... and the Nikon 28/2.8 AIS (crc) handles the close / straight stuff.

It would be nice if I could find 'one lens' to cover both, but I'm also realistic about optics limitations ... decisions, hmmmm. Probably time to call lensrentals and grab a 25 for the weekend. Likely to be the only way to really know.

Thanks. everyone.



May 04, 2011 at 03:42 PM
Silverfox1
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Oly 24/2.8 vs. Zeiss 25/2.8


Kent, it took me awhile to find a later Oly 24/f2.8 MC but did recently acquire a fine EX rated copy with a serial number Ser.#218999 in pristine condition and it works fine on the 5D MKII. But i also just picked-up the 21 ZE so the nice Oly 24/f2.8 multi-coated will be going up for sell shortly.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1002832/0

You folks helped me acquire some really nice MF lenses and the urge to stop testing and trying new ones out has not been easy for me at least.

Zeiss 21/f2.8 ZE
Oly Zuiko 24/f2.8 MM MC Ser.#218999
MIR24 35/f2
CY 35-70/f3.4
CY 50/f1.7
CY 85/f2.8 Sonnar

Regards,



May 04, 2011 at 06:36 PM
wayne seltzer
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Oly 24/2.8 vs. Zeiss 25/2.8


RustyBug wrote:
I do like using my wides @ mfd ... which is what would reduce my interest in a lens that is an infinity specialist ... I figure the C/Y 28/2.8 already covers the infinity application well ... and the Nikon 28/2.8 AIS (crc) handles the close / straight stuff.

It would be nice if I could find 'one lens' to cover both, but I'm also realistic about optics limitations ... decisions, hmmmm. Probably time to call lensrentals and grab a 25 for the weekend. Likely to be the only way to really know.

Thanks. everyone.


Sounds like a good idea trying it out and seeing if you like it or not.
You could also wait till the end of the year for the new ZE 25/2 which is supposed to be much better than the old ZF 25/2.8 according to subtle comments from those in the know.



May 04, 2011 at 07:19 PM
RustyBug
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Oly 24/2.8 vs. Zeiss 25/2.8


Hmmm, 25/2 ... sounds big & not budget friendly ... but could be a workhorse investment piece of glass.

18/3.5
25/2
35-70/3.4

That could work nicely.



May 04, 2011 at 07:37 PM
edwardkaraa
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Oly 24/2.8 vs. Zeiss 25/2.8


If it's going to be inspired by the 24/2 as some believe, it's not going to be that big and heavy. In fact it is quite compact for a lens of the FL and aperture.


May 04, 2011 at 07:40 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



RustyBug
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Oly 24/2.8 vs. Zeiss 25/2.8


Small & fast ... sounds like vignetting, reduced micro-contrast or distortion (mustache I'm guessing) could be the penalty ... likely moderate combination of all three.

I notice you didn't say anything about a smaller price point.



May 04, 2011 at 07:48 PM
martyn.
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Oly 24/2.8 vs. Zeiss 25/2.8


wayne seltzer wrote:
You could also wait till the end of the year for the new ZE 25/2 which is supposed to be much better than the old ZF 25/2.8 according to subtle comments from those in the know.


How accurate is this info, it is just that twelve months ago I was reading the same thing, that a new 25mm would be out at the end of the year, and that has gone and passed.




May 05, 2011 at 09:25 AM
JohnJ
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Oly 24/2.8 vs. Zeiss 25/2.8


I'd buy a Zeiss 25/2 as long as performance was suitable.

JJ



May 05, 2011 at 11:09 AM
wayne seltzer
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Oly 24/2.8 vs. Zeiss 25/2.8


martyn. wrote:
How accurate is this info, it is just that twelve months ago I was reading the same thing, that a new 25mm would be out at the end of the year, and that has gone and passed.



Vincent mentioned it in this thread:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/906899/3#9492402



May 05, 2011 at 11:21 AM
martyn.
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Oly 24/2.8 vs. Zeiss 25/2.8


wayne seltzer wrote:
Vincent mentioned it in this thread:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/906899/3#9492402


Thanks Wayne, I had read that, however he says "It might be presented officially by the end of the year.".

I might sit on my hands a little longer on a 25mm purchase, either that or I take one for the team and order the 25/2.8 ... within hours of the delivery Zeiss will announce the 25/2



May 05, 2011 at 11:58 AM
1      
2
       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password