Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · 500/4L in dry cabinet (Totech CS-151SS)

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 500/4L in dry cabinet (Totech CS-151SS)

I'm thinking of getting a Totech CS-151SS dry cabinet. Does anybody know if a Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS lens will fit on one of its shelves? The Totech data sheet shows internal shelf dimensions of 40cm x 34cm, which means that it's a tight fit. I've attached a figure below showing the scaled lens and shelf geometries. I wonder if internal gizmos for the sliding shelves will cut down the usable space. Also, if there is a shelf at the bottom, can it be removed?

Thanks in advance, Jim

Apr 21, 2011 at 08:38 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 500/4L in dry cabinet (Totech CS-151SS)

I would buy something bigger if it is that tight and such an inefficient use of space. You might also want to use similar lenses in the future and they may not fit. Why is there the need for the dry cabinet?

EBH

Apr 22, 2011 at 09:19 PM
Johnny Bravo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 500/4L in dry cabinet (Totech CS-151SS)

My question exactly--I can't understand the need. Packets of dessicant are dirt cheap and do exactly what they're supposed to do, without restricting/limiting storage (they work right in the bags I use in the field.

Apr 23, 2011 at 05:20 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 500/4L in dry cabinet (Totech CS-151SS)

I have three older alt lenses in the shop getting fungus removed, and I just found another one. None of them had any that I could see when I bought them. None of my Canon EF lenses are currently affected, but I don't want to take any chances. Summer in Halifax is warm and humid.

I agree that desiccant is a solution, but it's not the only one, nor necessarily the best one. Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it bad, it's just something you don't understand.

As far as fit goes, it's not so important for the 500/4, as it's well sealed. As far as getting something bigger goes, it's certainly a good idea; however, as far as I can tell, it represents a significant step up in cost and power consumption, as it's going from 'home' to 'laboratory' technologies.

I was simply asking a question. Maybe somebody out there has the answer.

Apr 23, 2011 at 06:45 AM
ryankarr
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 500/4L in dry cabinet (Totech CS-151SS)

How many pennies was that?

May 06, 2011 at 06:48 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 500/4L in dry cabinet (Totech CS-151SS)

Sweeeet. But I would invest in some lens caps too. YMMV

May 06, 2011 at 06:57 PM
Bobster2
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 500/4L in dry cabinet (Totech CS-151SS)

Keeping caps on would only tend to trap moisture inside the lens which would defeat the purpose.

May 06, 2011 at 07:59 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 500/4L in dry cabinet (Totech CS-151SS)

Richard Nye wrote:
Sweeeet. But I would invest in some lens caps too. YMMV

All of my lenses have caps. You can see the only two lenses in the case that don't have caps. This is intentional. They're a CZ 135/2.8 and Nikkor 105/1.8 that both have slight amounts of haze on internal elements. I hope to reduce that by drying them out. If it doesn't work, then they're off to the repair centre. Sorry for the confusion.

May 07, 2011 at 05:46 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 500/4L in dry cabinet (Totech CS-151SS)

ryankarr wrote:
How many pennies was that?

About $1200 CA, delivered.

May 07, 2011 at 05:46 AM
ryankarr
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 500/4L in dry cabinet (Totech CS-151SS)

jcolwell wrote:
All of my lenses have caps. You can see the only two lenses in the case that don't have caps. This is intentional. They're a CZ 135/2.8 and Nikkor 105/1.8 that both have slight amounts of haze on internal elements. I hope to reduce that by drying them out. If it doesn't work, then they're off to the repair centre. Sorry for the confusion.

Some sunlight might help if the drying doesn't do it.

May 07, 2011 at 09:37 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 500/4L in dry cabinet (Totech CS-151SS)

I already "put them on the beach" and it didn't make any difference. Maybe it stopped progress, but that's about it. Also, I often put all of my Alts on the beach for a month or so, and I still have problems. So, now I'll try to eliminate the humidity that they need, in addition to darkness and warmth, at least, not really cold.

May 07, 2011 at 09:51 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.