Well, it's not as useful as a dedicated mirror lockup button. But it shows Canon is listening to us, and maybe within the next 1,000 years we will finally get the dedicated mirror lockup button as an extra cost option.
hope it doesn't suffer from the problem the EOS 5 had whereby the two plastic rivets which held the dial snapped and left you having to replace the top plate of the camera to get the dial working again. Happened me on the third day of a three week trip to Spain in 2003, but it did prove that the auto mode worked very well in most situations!
John
I broke the locking mode dial on my old EOS 5/A2E three frickin' times because I forgot to press the damn little button before turning it. I figure a locking mode dial will bring Canon service lots of extra business after the installation...
In 20 years of use, I've never accidentally turned my mode dial. I like it the way it is. On the other hand, I have adjusted EC many times with my belly...
I was going to try to sweet talk Canon into doing the mod for <$100, since my camera will be in their shop anyway for some service... but you've inserted enough doubt into my mind as to the potential pitfalls of this feature.
That said, my dial has occasionally turned by accident, seemingly more lately... it may be that I'm more vulnerable to that happening now that I carry my camera with a home-brew sling-style strap by the tripod mount; hanging upside down next to my leg, my pants may reach out and grab the dial. (Not as likely to happen with a conventional strap using the conventional attachment points, which may shield the dials and knobs from inappropriate contact.)
Monkey Falls wrote:
That actually made me laugh out loud!!
"ALOL," or perhaps "LLOL" (Literally LOL).
Now don't get me started on the misuse of "literally."
There is a blog out there with examples of the misuse of that word, but it must have been so painful to maintain that the authors literally died, orphaning it.
paulfeng wrote:
That said, my dial has occasionally turned by accident, seemingly more lately... it may be that I'm more vulnerable to that happening now that I carry my camera with a home-brew sling-style strap by the tripod mount; hanging upside down next to my leg, my pants may reach out and grab the dial. (Not as likely to happen with a conventional strap using the conventional attachment points, which may shield the dials and knobs from inappropriate contact.)
My home brew strap/swing set up does tend to cause the 1D on the left to fight off by itself unless I turn off the grip shutter button. the one on the right always behaves itself.
paulfeng wrote:
There is a blog out there with examples of the misuse of that word, but it must have been so painful to maintain that the authors literally died, orphaning it.