fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       end
  

Archive 2010 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D

  
 
Beni
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D


Can we have a locking on/off switch on the 5D's as well please?


Dec 02, 2010 at 02:46 PM
sirimiri
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D


My A2E required herculean effort to press that center button down. Then, while applying 25 KN of force (I exaggerate) you had to twist the dial with a bit more force than one would reasonably expect.

It's nice that Canon is still offering (at cost) services and (free) firmware for such an "old" dSLR, though.



Dec 02, 2010 at 02:50 PM
moondigger
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D


The Elan never had a problem with the locking dial -- it worked well. (Not to say it never broke; it just wasn't a common problem.)

However the A2/A2E/EOS-5 cameras had a very problematic locking dial, that frequently broke even without abuse on the part of the photographer. I had mine fixed by a repair person who used a non-factory part. It was a locking dial as well, but it was a lot more like the Elan's dial than the A2 dial, and worked fine for the entire time I had the camera.

The point is that a locking dial is not an inherently bad design. It seems unlikely that this particular new dial for the 5D II and 7D would have the same design flaw as the problematic one for the A2.

I haven't had any problems with the dial on my 5D II turning without my notice, but then again I haven't had the 5D II very long. If it becomes a problem I will probably get the locking dial.



Dec 02, 2010 at 02:53 PM
Lance Lee
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D


I've never accidentally turned that dial. I've accidentally turned it to the wrong selection, but this won't help that. Under what conditions would you accidentally turn that dial?

What does get bumped are the buttons on the back. As frustrating as my 1D2 buttons are, I do like not being able to accidentally do stuff on the back.



Dec 02, 2010 at 03:44 PM
Trinimon
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D


I've lost count on the amount of times I've accidentally bumped that button when shooting events etc. It's easier I suppose, to accidentally switch modes when you use two bodies or if you're used to having it hang off your shoulder and also the kind of strap you use ie BlackRapid. If you are the type that let the strap hang around your neck or you are always cradling it in your hands, I think the chances are a lot slimmer for bumping the dial.


Dec 02, 2010 at 04:17 PM
Nill Toulme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D


Wish my T2i had this; gaffer's tape here we come.

Nill



Dec 02, 2010 at 04:32 PM
Bobster2
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D


All they have to do is make the dial removable, let it snap off and hang by a strap so you won't lose it. Or they could make it so you need a special tool to turn it, plus a numeric keypad where you type in a PIN number.

Or they could eliminate the dial totally. What's it there for? It's no more necessary than a film speed dial, a shutter speed dial, an aperture ring, or a button for mirror lock-up, all of which and many others have been eliminated.



Edited on Dec 02, 2010 at 04:35 PM · View previous versions



Dec 02, 2010 at 04:34 PM
RobertLynn
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D


This is great, but who the hell wants to pay 100 bucks for it...

Too damn bad my stupid $100 voucher ran out...I'd send the camera in tomorrow for it.



Dec 02, 2010 at 04:35 PM
duranash
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D


As soon as I read the note about the Locking Mode Dial "upgrade" I thought of the EOS5-A2E issues of yore.....but I see many folks also remember those times and beat me to it!!

Can't say I've had an issue with the dial moving on me.



Dec 02, 2010 at 06:20 PM
RobertLynn
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D


After going to a 1 series and being able to tell it that I only want M and Av available...I desire a locking knob or setting forever




Dec 02, 2010 at 10:18 PM
sirimiri
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D


I'll say, I've been trying to finish off some rolls of Kodachrome 25 (yes, I'm on of those types) on my EOS-1N and lord, do I miss the "bullet button" arrangement.

It would be fantastic to (alert! Canon carping coming!) have a small, full-frame body without the massive form factor of the 1-sized bodies. Hopefully they'd design it so it could be driven by a modest voltage like the 5D/7D series...




Dec 02, 2010 at 10:37 PM
pixelman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D


Mmmm the engineers never had these troubles with there cameras on the lab test bench It's almost a sign of penance. Here's to hoping they fix a few stupid things next round of cameras..... I'm in the tape crowd.


Dec 02, 2010 at 11:01 PM
tr1957
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D


omarlyn wrote:
That's a GREAT feature...not sure I'd pay 100 bucks extra for it but I'd love having it as a standard feature!

Omar

It's a standard feature already ...........





..... on the 60D (you know, the camera a lot of people on the forums like to dump on)



Dec 03, 2010 at 12:41 AM
safcraft
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D


I must say i have never needed for such a feature.
The dial is so hard to move that it never rotated accidentaly. Of course it is always on Av or M.
Do you guys get this a lot ? (say more than 1 per month?)



Dec 03, 2010 at 04:22 AM
Breitling65
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D


I would pay $100 for better AF in 5D2


Dec 03, 2010 at 08:19 AM
MountainTop
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D


safcraft wrote:
I must say i have never needed for such a feature.
The dial is so hard to move that it never rotated accidentaly. Of course it is always on Av or M.
Do you guys get this a lot ? (say more than 1 per month?)


The dial on my 5D II moves with very little effort. its always getting bumped over into custom mode. I've just learned to check it often; it has become part of my routine.

I did like the lock on my old film camera, and have wondered why that feature went away....



Dec 03, 2010 at 10:12 AM
Fred Relaix
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D


Bobster2 wrote:
Well, it's not as useful as a dedicated mirror lockup button. But it shows Canon is listening to us, and maybe within the next 1,000 years we will finally get the dedicated mirror lockup button as an extra cost option.


You can assign mirror lockup on any of the 3 custom dials, or/and "my menu" settings. No need IMHO for another button that can be accidentally set wrong. And with the new Mode Dial Lock Upgrade your custom luckup button can even be locked



Dec 03, 2010 at 11:18 AM
Cliff L.
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D


11210 wrote:
FYI - If you are a CPS member you get your normal discount on this "repair." So for a Platinum member it would be $40 for the fix.



There's no CPS discount on this service, according to the email I got from Canon this morning...



Dec 03, 2010 at 12:28 PM
11210
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D


molson wrote:
There's no CPS discount on this service, according to the email I got from Canon this morning...


Ok I should clarify - this is what I was told by USA Canon CPS (NJ) - I don't know about other places.



Dec 05, 2010 at 09:16 PM
dchoe
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · Locking mode dial upgrade for 5DII/7D


nm


May 05, 2011 at 02:47 PM
1              3       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account