1/60th second exposure
DPP 3.5.2
+2 brightness
all image enhancement/NR off
style: faithful
contrast: 0
sharpening: 0
photoshop levels input highlight 25
resized for web to 900 pixels wide
Once again, I suspect that the 1DsIII has a different base ISO sensitivity. The 5DII is probably around 200 for it's base, which was done to increase high ISO capability.
I'm not clear on how the camera artificially lowers the ISO below it's base sensitivity, but I'm sure it screws with the noise quality. We are already talking about very few photons in the bucket for the shadows, and now we are going to artificially LOWER the level, and then artificially RAISE the level in post.
Maybe we should compare ISO 100 1DsIII shots with identical ISO 200 or 250 5DII shots.
I suspect that this difference in base ISO is what we are all seeing. Shoot the 1DsIII at the expanded lower ISOs and compare with ISO 100.
I am used to this with several 5D cameras, definitely my 20D, and the Nikon D70. All of them produce a cross-hatch noise pattern in some extremes. Especially warmer tones.
Other silly things to think about when breathlessly testing your gear:
No cell phones, microwaves, radio towers, microwave alarm systems, hair dryers, vacuum cleaners, etc are in use near the camera.
Lens IS and servo type AF (or better yet all AF) are off.
Any scene mode or shadow/highlight manipulation in-camera is disabled.
I know most of you have that covered, but just in case some don't.
It does on my monitor, just not as horrendous as the 5D2. It also has something funky going on in the right bottom corner, it's brighter than other corners.
OK, there is a pattern on my 1Ds3 as well, but I had to push levels a bit further (10) to make them visible...
1Ds3, lenscap on, VF closed:
1/60th second exposure
DPP 3.5.2
+2 brightness
all image enhancement/NR off
style: faithful
contrast: 0
sharpening: 0
photoshop levels input highlight 10
resized for web to 900 pixels wide
> The 1Ds3 doesn't show the pattern and isn't as sensitive as the 5D2 (at least so it seems).
I don't think this is a test of sensitivity, it's merely a test of the noise floor. Sensitivity would be a measure of ability to capture light. In this case there's no light.
>I wonder how both cams compare at ISO 800, 1600 and 3200?
That would also be interesting.
>It also has something funky going on in the right bottom corner, it's brighter than other corners
That is the signature amp noise of the 1Ds3. It's pretty invisible until you get up to 3200 and above in very low light. It was never a deal breaker for me even when shooting at iso 12800.
voka_gsw wrote:
It does on my monitor, just not as horrendous as the 5D2. It also has something funky going on in the right bottom corner, it's brighter than other corners.
The bright spot on the right lower corner is the noise from the amplifier. A known "phenomenon" that sometimes (depending on the circumstances) shows up in normal exposure at ISO3200 as a magenta spot/cast in the lower right corner. It is easy to correct though.
Will Patterson wrote:
I see a pattern with the 1ds3 quite clearly.
Yes, but compared to the 5D2 the 1Ds3 appearantly has more headroom when pushing exposure/opening up shadows. That is what I have experienced in real world shooting too.
Will Patterson wrote:
I see a pattern with the 1ds3 quite clearly.
Sure, but the 1Ds3 pattern is primarily horizontal, and much smoother than the 5D2 patterns which are about a stop stronger and criss-crossed. Actually the 200 iso noise looks about 1.5 stops stronger in my 5D2 compared to Daan's 1Ds3. Who wants to lose 1.5 stops of dynamic range?
brainiac wrote:
Sure, but the 1Ds3 pattern is primarily horizontal, and much smoother than the 5D2 patterns which are about a stop stronger and criss-crossed. Actually the 200 iso noise looks about 2 stops stronger in my 5D2 compared to Daan's 1Ds3. Who wants to lose 2 stops of dynamic range?
Yea I don't see 2 stops difference. I DO see about 2 stops of difference in the overall exposure which may be swaying your opinion, though.